Cleaning Cat Urine on Leather Boots

Category Shoes
A foul odor and stain can be present when the cat finds your footwear a good place to go. This guide is about cleaning cat urine on leather boots.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to remove cat urine from my husband's work boots (inside)? I know vinegar works great, but will it irritate his feet after we have sprayed the inside with the vinegar and let it dry? Does anyone have a suggestion to clean it out of his boots with out irritating his feet? Thank you for your help.

By Tulip1 from Tracy, CA

Answers

Best Answer

You poor thing! I had a cat who once peed on my good 100% wool coat & NOTHING could get the odor out! But these days they make the "Enzyme" based cleaners for cleaning up cat & dog pee, poo, vomit & blood... I don't know what these (good) bacteria & enzymes would do to his feet (call the company that makes it, they usually have a phone number on the side of the bottle). But a safer thing you could try would be to spray hydrogen peroxide inside his boots & saturate the area where the pee is.

A second idea would be to take them to a leather cleaner (if they are made of leather) because if you get leather wet it can shrink. IF they are washable, put them in the wash machine after using first the enzyme cleaner, then saturating with peroxide, & the next day you can spray in some vinegar then throw them in the wash machine & air dry.

FOR MORE INFO READ THIS:
http://www.thri  6405218.tip.html
Go down to the 3rd post (by me Cyinda). My post gives a detailed recipe for removing cat pee from washable surfaces.

---> Sorry, you may have to just throw them away. (But be nice to the cat. It couldn't help being a cat. They have a great nose. Sometimes they use chemicals that smell like (or are) urine to tan leather & your cat was attracted to this)

Best Answer

Vinegar kills athletes foot. Use a mister with vinegar and water. It can fade good leather, but won't hurt a work boot or your feet. If the smell persists, mix it a bit stronger. Sun dry. White vinegar is mellower than cider vinegar. Great on cat urine.

My darling cats were using my closet as a litter box. They are able to open the sliding doors, no matter how I fasten them. They sprayed or peed on my boots, sandals, and dress shoes and try as I might, I cannot seem to get the stink out of them. I've tried Oxiclean, Enzymatic Cat Urine solution, etc. I haven't tried the baking soda and peroxide yet. Got any other suggestions?

By AAW

Answers

Your shoes are unwearable as they are. Try washing them in warm water in the washing machine on the gentle cycle with detergent and Oxiclean or a box of baking soda. Then stuff them with newspaper or plastic bags to hold their shape while they air dry, preferably outside in the fresh air. If shoes are suede, brush well to raise the nap. This has saved leather sneakers, mary janes and ballet flats for me after my cats used my shoes as a litter box. Hope this helps you.

Have you tried the pole in the door track to keep the sliding doors closed? If the pole is a metal pipe, it should be too heavy for the cats to lift out of the track. Forgot to mention this in my other post about the shoes.

I was a janitor for 14 years. Here's some important information about using any of the Liquid Bacterial Enzyme products: Most importantly, you have to keep the solution wet for as long as possible after you apply it. LBEs really are solutions filled with living bacteria that eat yucky things. So, when they dry out they die.

The manufacturers of LBEs that professionals buy from janitorial supply companies explain this on the label. (Maybe the manufacturers of the retail versions think it sounds too complicated.) To keep the item you're cleaning with Liqui-Bac wet you can re-wet it frequently and/or cover it with plastic so it doesn't dry out as fast. If you keep this one rule in mind LBEs (any of the products labelled "bacterial enzymes," "organic bacterial," "organic enzymatic action," etc.) work amazingly well and I've never seen them harm or seriously discolor anything.

How do I get cat urine out of my leather boots? I've tried 3 different commercial cleaners with no results. If I don't get them clean I'll have male cats following me.

Pat from NC

Answers

Try vinegar- it works for male chihuahuas urine according to my friend and it has worked to keep our male dachshund from marking his territory when we have brought home used furniture that had pet ordor- we cleaned it outside with vinegar. I also know that it worked for me several years ago when our male cat marked territory in our attic with urine and bm. I immediately picked up bm and sprayed entire area with vinegar and never had any odor. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving from Louisiana