How to Clean Cat Urine on Leather Furniture

Category Leather
Removing the stain and odor of cat urine from your leather furniture needs to be done with care, to protect the dye and finish. This is a guide about how to clean cat urine on leather furniture.

How do I clean my leather cushions? The cat has soiled on it and now it has urine stains and the smell is awful.

By Karen from Cape Town, South Africa

Is there any way to get cat urine out of a leather sofa without ruining it?

Denice from Texas

Answers:

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I would call a furniture store and ask them, or perhaps a pet store or better yet, a vet's office (05/02/2005)

By Diana

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I wish you the best of luck with any posts you get with ideas on how to solve the smell issue. First, know that the urine has most likely penetrated your foam cushions. Ours was saturated as we were on vacation when the urinating occurred. So this is what we did that helped until we could get another couch (and this sounds like a lot of work, which it was, and it sounds kind of cheesy but the couch was very expensive to replace): we bought Simple Solution from Petsmart (this works really great for smells caught immediately).

We took out the foam cushions, poured Simple Solution on them (outside as this is a messy job). We allowed it to dry. This took about two days. The smell was still there but not as strong as it was. We didn't want the cat to do it again so we took some trash bags and duct tape and wrapped the cushions up (air tight, so to speak) put them back in the leather seat covers and covered the entire couch with a plastic shower curtains. We removed the shower curtains when we wanted to sit down but anytime we were not around for more than five minutes, we put it back on.

When we sat on the cushions, there was a rattling sound from within from the bags and they were kind of puffy. When guests came over we had them sit elsewhere because there was still the faintest of faint urine smells that wafted up from the crevices of the couch.

BUT, we were able to get a decent couch from a family member a few months later and as much as it hurt me, we threw away the ruined couch. I'm certain if this had happened while we were home, we would have gotten the odor out and my beloved leather and expensive leather sofa would still be in my living room.

We learned a valuable lesson: we love the cat but now we keep everything covered in plastic shower curtains when we are not around (beds, furniture, fabric chairs, etc.). She's old and has kidney failure (which started when we were on vacation for ten days and the pet sitter didn't notice any odd behavior or smells). They are not pretty to look at but as soon as I come home or company is arriving, the shower curtains leave the room and the house is pretty again :)

Good luck to you and sorry my post wasn't a positive outcome but remember to appreciate what you have instead of having remorse for the things you don't -- we still have our kitty and she's doing so much better :) (05/03/2005)

By Melissa W.

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I washed my leather couch down with water and about a fourth cup of bleach. Then I dried it off, washed it with water and pine sol and after all this I wiped it down with lemon juice. Then I rubbed baby oil on it to bring back the shine and this got rid of the cat urine smell. (03/02/2007)

By bretania

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I would try Nature's Miracle - that was recommended by our vet and seems to work on the rug. I'm not sure if it is safe to use on leather though. (12/26/2007)

By

My cat urinated on my burgundy leather couch (in the corner portion of it). What do I do to clean it?

By Coley from MI

Answers:

Cat Urine on Leather Furniture

I have a similar problem, but with a chocolate brown leather sofa. Kitty did it between the cushions (of course they're attached, so you have to reach way down into the couch to get at it). I just went to the store and picked up "Stain and Odor Remover" by Simple Solution. It was the only enzyme based cleaner that did not specifically say "not recommended for leather". Nature's Miracle did say not to use on leather and their orange oxy cleaner didn't mention leather (was my 2nd choice), but didn't have enzymes listed on the ingredients.

The Simple Solution spray nozzle has a focused jet spray (which was great to get deep down between the cushions) or a wide spray. It smells mild and clean too, plus it can be used on carpets or in carpet cleaner machines. I saturated, waited 10 minutes and then wiped off the excess that hadn't dried. So far no color loss on the leather! *Fingers crossed* that the enzymes work and kitty doesn't smell her pee and feel the urge to re-wet the area. (08/09/2010)

By Jenny

I have a leather chair, and a cat urinated on it. I need help on how to get it out.

Any suggestions on how to get a cat urine smell out of a leather couch with cushions that are stuffed with down feathers?