Does Male Cat Urine Smell Stronger?

Category Cats
Intact male cats have a high level of Felinine protein in their urine which accounts for its much stronger smell than that of neutered male or female cat urine. This is a page about, "Does male cat urine smell stronger?".

A week ago I brought in a new kitty. I was introducing him to my old female cat, and I am very thankful for all the responses on my post on how to introduce my male kitty to my resident cat. Though they are not yet comfortable with each other I am sure as I am following all your advice it would soon get better.

Now, my question is, why is my new male kitty's litter box stink so much. I have now three litter boxes for I have two cats at home. But the litter box that my new kitty is using stinks so much even if I clean it every day when I get home from work and when I wake up in the morning. It's just so different with my old resident cat, where I don't even smell it stink. Can you advise what I have to use to minimize this?

My place is just a pad being alone, I have my new kitty stay in the bathroom at night which is a bigger space and let him roam around when I am around so I could guard him in case my resident cat attacks him, though it has never happened yet except the normal hissing. I have observed that my new kitty wants to play with my old cat, but at the moment she still feels threatened. I hope I can get more from your advice, much more on the stinking litter box.

Answers

His urine may be more concentrated than hers. You may have to use an enzyme based cleaner such as Natures Miracle to truly get rid of the smell.

Hi,

I would suggest getting a probiotic for your kitten. You can buy them online or at pet stores.

It is possible that probiotics will help with digestion. Switching foods can help too. Some foods cause worse stools than others do.

There is a lot of stress involved with being a kitten, and that can affect the digestion too. I wish you the best!

Here is a site I go to a lot:

thecatsite.com/.../

Blessings,

Robyn

Please get the kitten to the vet and have him checked out. A strong urine smell is not normal and it is possible he has a health issue that needs to be checked out. If he has a clean bill of health, then talk to the vet about possible solutions for the smell. You may just need to change litter types or keep an air purifier next to the litter box.

Post back what you learn! Blessing and prayers!

Thank you Judy

Thank you

Thank you, I will follow your advise

Post back with an update!! Prayers for the fur ball baby!!!

I am glad to hear your kitties are building a good relationship. I thought of a couple things after reading your post. Male animals usually have stronger smelling urine. Especially before they are neutered. This is the case with cats. You are used to the litter box smell from your female cat. That said, I would have a concern about "really stinky" urine as being an illness. I would probably take some urine in to my Vet to have it checked out.

If your kitten has not been evaluated by a Vet or had his vaccinations it would be a good idea to do all three things at once. His urine will smell a little less after he is neutered, but most likely be a little stronger and different than your female. If it is his feces that is extra smelly that can be a sign of illness. But keep in mind that cat feces is famous for being stinky even in a healthy cat. Again, your Vet will be able to give you a better answer there. Best of luck with your new kitten.

Thank you

Un neutered male feline urine stinks to high heaven. Talk to vet about when you can neuter when he gets shots. They mature quickly, do it before he starts spraying. then you really have a nightmare.

Our 8 month old male kitten has been fixed (as soon as he was 5 months), but he still backs up to stuff and it looks like he's trying to spray. His litter box absolutely reeks after one pee.

Is he is still thinking he can spray? Will the odor go away as he gets a bit older? We use Fresh Step. Should we switch to another brand? If so, what brand would be best?

By desiree from CT

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, male cat urine smells much stronger. It is the testosterone. It allows them to mark therir territory. Even when a male is fixed the urine still smells stronger. Neutering a male or female does not eliminate the marking behavior, but it does lessen it. I used Comfort Zone with my male cat to discourage any more marking. It worked.

Is it just me or does male cat urine smell much worse than females? We have had Rosie for almost 2 yrs. I've never had an issue with the litter box before, but since getting the male, have noticed my home smells like a cat house. I clean the litter each day, but this does not help as just one pee in the litter and the smell is overpowering.

He does not like to bury his mess, but rather likes to scratch the walls behind the litter box. I have tried baking soda, no luck. I read earlier to try coal for the BBQ. Next shopping trip.

Is there a possibility this could be a cat issue that must be looked at by the vet?

Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

Answers:

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Has your male cat been neutered? I could tell a huge difference after my male kitties were neutered. If this is something new, I would ask a vet about it. (02/05/2008)

By Chris

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Have your male cat neutered if he isn't now. Also, move the litter-box away from the wall so he won't scratch at the wall while in it. Your two cats might need separate litter-boxes to cut down on this behavior.

Good luck! (02/07/2008)

By Nancy in NC

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

I agree with the others; get the cat neutered. Also, buy a better quality of cat litter. Multi-cat is what I use for my two neutered males, although they prefer to go outside when they can. Another idea is to get one of the litter boxes that is like a little house. This eliminates throwing the litter over the sides. They track a bit out the front, but it is a lot neater. Also these litter boxes have a vent in the top for a charcoal filter. (02/07/2008)

By Louise B.

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Assuming your tom hasn't been neutered, and there is more than one cat in your home, then chances are he is spraying his territory. If this is the case, then the litter box is not your only problem. Having him neutered will definitely cut down your odor problem, but you still need to get rid of what is already there. Try mixing one part white vinegar to two parts water and a splash of laundry soap. Spray, blot, scrub depending on area etc., then rinse with club soda. (Make sure you test a little area of whatever first.) DO NOT use ammonia based cleanser, as it only intensifies the ammonia in the urine. And don't use bleach, as it might react with the ammonia/urine. (02/08/2008)

By doodles

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

Thank you to all who posted. Yes, my cat is male and not yet neutered. He is almost 6 months old. Looks like I have to get him neutered or else as the hubby wants, get rid of him. Not going to happen. He is now a part of our family and he is just so very affectionate. He is not at all like my female, who most of the time wants nothing to do with us.

Thanks again and happy days ahead. (02/11/2008)

By Karyn

Male Cat Urine Seems to Smell Stronger

I have been experimenting with a variety of eco-friendly cat litters and by far my favorite is "World's Best Cat Litter" for its pleasant smell, clump-ability, and natural ingredients (corn).

"Swheat Scoop" didn't clump that well and the ammonia smell was really strong when I'd go to scoop out the frequently-falling-apart clumps. It's not very absorbent either (I wonder if they need to make the granules finer for more surface area); unless I had about six inches of it in the pan the urine would find its way to the bottom and create a caked on mess.

"Healthy Pet P-Pod Clumping Cat Litter" clumps better than "Swheat Scoop" (not as well as "World's Best") but it's very dusty; it gets tracked all over by the cats and when I'm cleaning it I have to cover my mouth and nose. The cats (three of them) don't like this litter either. We have two boxes and (we're at the tail-end of experimenting) their preference is for the one with "World's Best" in it. (12/01/2008)

By Sirius Putsch

Pets CatsDecember 30, 2016
🌻
📓
🎂