Cat Urine Smells Like Ammonia?

If you find that your cat's urine has a strong ammonia odor, there are a couple of possible things that may be the cause. First it may be that the odor is actually the result of the litter box not being cleaned often enough. Secondly, you may want to make sure your kitty is hydrated. And finally, a trip to the vet could rule out a UTI.

I have a female cat and her pee smells like ammonia. What could be the cause and what can I do from home?

Answers

Best Answer

The litter box smells like ammonia if it's not being cleaned/changed frequently enough. A cat's urine might smell if she's not getting sufficient fresh water...and that could lead to a urinary tract infection (UTI). Fresh litter in the box (clean twice a day and change once a week), fresh water (try 2 bowls in separate places), and keep your cat indoors and warm. If she shows signs of pain or you see any blood in the pan you need to take her to the vet. Let us know if this helps!

Best Answer

It sounds like your cat is not drinking a lot of water or has an infection from the litter box not being cleaned and changed out enough. You can try to give more water to the cat to help her out and if this continue I would suggest that you take the cat to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a urine infection or something else.

Best Answer

This can happen but there are remedy's.
Generally this is caused by dehydration - kiddie just isn't drinking enough water so make sure she has plenty of fresh water in more than one place.

Second; the litter box may need cleaning more often as sometimes the litter just doesn't take care of several days of use.

Try monitoring your cat's bathroom goings to see if she is getting enough water. She may even like a small piece of ice in her water.

There are several sites with suggestions and information so check them out and make sure you take her to her vet if this problem continues as it could be something more serious.

catappy.com/ammonia-smelling-urine-in-cats

Best Answer

This may seem like a dumb question but is she fixed yet? What a nightmare it was before my baby girls were fixed everything and I mean everything smelled like strong amonia the only thing that stopped it was them getting older and getting fixed. Please also watch their water intake. My last set of twins (still have one alive and well. He is 13 and awesome) but we didn't know it at the time but he died of a kidney infection).

It's so sad how expensive these illnesses can be we just couldn't afford it. We paid over 2000 but we just didn't have any more than that. Now we have kitty insurance which I thourally recommend to all. Sorry but I feel if we just kept up and noticed more on his water intake we could have prevented his death. I'm sending you healing vibes. And I'll keep you and kitty in my daily prayers

Pets Cats AdviceJuly 17, 2020
🐛
🌻
📓
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cat-Urine-Smells-Like-Ammonia.html