Keeping Cats Warm in Winter

Kitties love to be warm. In summer they enjoy sunny window spots. But winter is different. Keeping your cat warm in the winter can be accomplished using a warming lamp, a heated cat bed, or pad.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have a lot of days with no sunshine. My cat loves to find a sunny spot and sleep. He looked so bored the other day that I put a kitty bed on my desk and swung the free arm desk lamp, which has a 75 watt bulb in it over the kitty bed. I set the lamp about two to three feet above the bed.

Now every morning that the sun isn't out, he heads to the desk for his nap. The bulb produces enough warmth that he thinks he is sleeping in the sun, and he is much happier.

By Lizzyanny from Pacific Northwest

Top Comment

I have 3 cats in the house and 6 cats in a 10' X 20' kennel in the back yard. In the winter I enclose the kennel with heavy plastic and have a large rubbermaid shed with blankets and pillow with a 250 watt lamp, it is so nice and warm. In there eating area, I have a 200 watt lamp and they just love it. All of my cats are strays that I got fixed and kept.

I have 3 senior cats, Lilly is 11, Chico is 15, and Lynn who is 18. Lynn misses her sunlight so much. She spends her days in the summer (or anytime there is no snow) laying in her boxes on my deck. She may not make it to another summer. I want to buy some sort of light that warms and gives her the feeling she is laying in the warm sun. Lynn does follow the sunbeams around the house, but there are too few. I'm sure my other cats would also love the lamp.

Does anyone know what kind of bulb or lamp I can buy to make my little Lynn's final months warm and cozy?

Answers

Best Answer

I would go to the pet store and get a warming blub they sell for lizards and snakes. They are like a heat lamp and this works very well. Just make sure you keep it up higher and buy the smallest one they sell. You do not need a large one to make this for your cat.

Best Answer

I did this with a swing arm desk lamp. It attaches to the edge of the desk with a clamp. I put a standard 60 watt bulb in it. I swing it over my cats bed which sits on the desk. he loves it.

Best Answer

If I may, a friend lost her house in a fire caused by a lamp used to keep cats warm. Please do not use anything electric to help warm the cats. Please!!!!

If you can't bring the cats inside, boxes with straw and mylar blankets inside Rubbermaid containers. There are lots of videos on how to build these inexpensively.

Sending up prayers for the fur family!

Pets Cats AdviceDecember 10, 2019
🎉

Generated 2019-12-26 23:17:34 in 929 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️