Is Spanish Moss Toxic to Cats?

Research seems to indicate that Spanish moss is a nonpoisonous flowering plant found in tropical and subtropical regions. It is not considered toxic to cats.

Cinnamon, Sheba, Timmy, and Sharon

Cinnamon, Sheba, Timmy, and Sharon

Is Spanish moss toxic to cats? I love the way it looks growing in the live oak trees in our yard, but if it might harm my three little buddies, it will have to go.

Thanks,
Sharon from Bunnell, FL

Answers

By Jill (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I've lived in the coastal regions of the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida all my life, and grew up with cats, and believe me, if that stuff was harmful to your cats, there wouldn't be an outdoor cat alive in those four states!! If you still have concerns, consult your vet, and I'm sure s/he will be able to advise you about the Spanish moss as well as many other organic growths, both indoors and out, that would be harmful to your cats if they should decide to sample it.

I need to know if Spanish moss is toxic for cats?

Pets Cats AdviceNovember 21, 2019
🍂
🎄