Spanish Moss and Cats

Is Spanish moss toxic to cats? I love the way it looks growing in the live oak trees in our yard, but if it might harm my three little buddies, it will have to go.

Sharon from Bunnell, FL

Cinnamon, Sheba, Timmy, and Sharon

By Rosa (Guest Post)

To be sure call your vet or the animal poison control.

By Jill (Guest Post)

I've lived in the coastal regions of the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida all my life, and grew up with cats, and believe me, if that stuff was harmful to your cats, there wouldn't be an outdoor cat alive in those four states!! If you still have concerns, consult your vet, and I'm sure s/he will be able to advise you about the Spanish moss as well as many other organic growths, both indoors and out, that would be harmful to your cats if they should decide to sample it.

I need to know if Spanish moss is toxic for cats?

Gladys from New York

Spanish Moss and Cats

I am not 100% sure, but I do believe it is poisonous. I had cats a lot growing up & remember my parents clearing the moss away often. (12/27/2006)

By Erin