Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge

Category Health
Some pet ailments can safely be treated at home whereas others need to be referred to a vet to determine the cause and proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with eye discharge.

I have recently came across 2 male kittens approximately 8 weeks old. One has a little discharge and closure to the eye. He has no foul smell, nor does he seem to be sneezing or coughing. What can I do to help the kitten?

I am not working, so I do not have the money to take it to the vet. Can someone give me suggestions? I want to be able to take care of him. He is very sweet.

By lori from New Kensington, PA

Answers

Best Answer

You can go to the vet office and ask for "baby kitten eye ointment" and they'll know what to give you. It doesn't take an appointment and the medication only costs about $5.00. The name of the medication is Teramycin. Wipe the eyes from the inside out with a clean cloth and a clean cloth for each eye before applying Teramycin.

Best Answer

I want to thank everyone who posted. Because of you my baby kitten I recently adopted is recovering. I read this post yesterday and used antibiotic ointment and flushed with warm water first.

Worked so wonderfully. My little guy's name is Nacho. I can not believe how effective it is. Mahalo. Nui Loa

I have three kittens which are about 6 weeks old, there is pus in their eyes, and each time they sleep, they stick shut. I put a warm compress on them to open their eyes, but it does not help much. I just don't know what happened to their eyes. I've had kittens before with cold in their eyes, and treatment took care of them. I don't know what to do for these poor babies.

By Jacqueline

Answers

Best Answer

Please, visit Amazon and look at this product:

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel 2.0 oz
https://www.ama  /dp/B00HYRZFMK/r

Read the reviews and consider giving this product a try. I did not need the eye drops but after reading the reviews, I bought other products from the Vetericyn line for my cats and they work! I sure hope that this helps.

What do I do to treat my Siamese kitten's eye discharge?

Answers

Best Answer

Use warm washcloth to wash it and smear it with triple antibiotic ointment. Not the cream. If it doesn't clear up within a few days, take the kitten to the vet to avoid permanent vision damage.

Best Answer

I have always treated kitten's eyes with instant tea. Just enough to slightly color the water. dip cotton balls in it and bathe the kitten's eyes with it.

Use a clean ball after each swipe. The little bit of tannic acid is just enough to cleanse and heal. but you don't want to use tea made with a tea bag because it can be too strong.

Best Answer

I used tea from a tea bag. I let it steep for about 3 minutes. Let it cool with an icecube. I dipped a cotton ball about 1/4 in tea. Gently placed on kittens eye for about 5 seconds to let the matter soften then wipe outward. Using a second cotton ball the same way on the other eye. If really matted repeat until matter is gone. I did this 3 times a day and by the third day all was clean and all kittens were happy.

Best Answer

Farm Supply told me warm salt water. It works to clean the eyes out but isn't a cure. I have to clean their eyes three to four times a day.

Every morning they are a little worse. I don't know what else to do. I have four kittens, three of which are really bad. No money for a vet

I have kittens that are 2 weeks old. One kitten has 1 eye open and the other eye is swollen with pus coming out of it. What can I do at home because I can't afford a vet bill?

By Patricia from West Palm Beach, FL

Answers

Best Answer

This sounds like an infected eye. You will need to see a Vet for antibiotics. Or you could order them from Drs. Foster and Smith on the internet. You could also try Valley Vet Supply on the internet. I recommend the Vet. If you dont do something the kitten may go blind in that eye.

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

By Sam J

Answers

Best Answer

If you don't have a tube of neosporin get one for $2+ at Walmart, or generic at DollarTree for $1. Put a bit in eye after wiping eye first with damp cotton swab/ball. Then apply a dab on a Q-tip or similar.

Be careful of your own health and make sure you wash and use sanitizer afterwards if possible. Do not use tube for any other use after kitten better. Keep around medication for 2 weeks in case of recurrence and then toss it. I'd medicate morning and night for about 5 days.

My six week old kitten has this green gooey eye booger stuff in his eyes and every time he closes them they stick shut. I've been cleaning them with a paper towel and warm water. It helps a bit, but then I have to clean them again. I don't know what to do or what he has. Help?

Answers

Best Answer

You can use triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) in the cats eyes. Use it 4 times a day. It is better than nothing, but a trip to the Vet would be best. If not treated this can cause blindness.

My kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

Answers

Best Answer

No. Vaseline is petroleum jelly and should never be put in eyes. When my dog's eyes were tearing because of oak tree allergies, my vet told me to use saline solution.

Just a drop or two in each eye. Saline solution can be bought very cheaply at any drugstore or Walmart. Most people buy it as a nasal spray to unblock their nose. My vet also said to never use human eye drops on a dog or cat.

My family and I are currently taking care of some stray cats. However one cat who is about a year old has some discharge from her eye and she can't open it. She is also not eating. We want to know if there is anything we can do for her, like any home remedies before we take her to a vet. It is also important to note, that she won't let us touch her because she runs away. Is there vitamins or antibiotics we can give her?

By robert from Bridgeport, CT

Answers

Best Answer

Keep the cat away from the others. It could be a contagious health issue and rapidly spread. Set up a pet carrier with food/water and once it's in it, close it up and transport the cat to the vet. Antibiotics is more than likely what this cat needs.

Last night I adopted a kitten from a feral cat's litter. He looks about 4 weeks old and the people who have been feeding them say he has always had a discharge in his eyes that they wipe away each day. They thought it was allergies, but I recognize it as an infection. Is Bacitracin 500u okay to use on a kitten with white eye discharge?

By k

Answers

Best Answer

I have just done the same thing. I called the Vet and picked up antibiotic eye drops. You put them on twice a day. Very simple to heal.

I have found 4 very young kittens that have crusty eyes (nearly closed from the gunk). I think the irritation is from gnats, as there are a lot swarming. Can someone help me to treat their eyes? They are not mine and I can't afford a vet, but don't want to see them suffering.

By Nelwyn Mills from Bunkie, LA

Answers

Best Answer

Go to your vet and ask for a tube of Terramycin ointment. Don't ask what to do for gunky eyes because they will tell you to bring them in. They can't diagnosis without seeing and charging. Wash the eyes from the inside corner to the outside and use a clean cloth for each eye. Old scraps of sheets work well. Just use warm water. Apply a bit of the ointment to each eye a couple of times a day. This should really help.

About three days ago I found a kitten in my back yard, and I kept her. When we first got her she was fine, then her eyes started crusting shut! To keep her clean I have to wash her eyes with a washcloth three times a day! It doesn't seem like eye discharge, but I can't think of anything else that it would be, what do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

The vet will probably prescribe an antibiotic that is used in the eyes a few times a day. You can also find out if your kitten is old enough to start vaccinations, and schedule your spay or neuter.

We found two kittens about 2 weeks old. Both have one eye matted closed. I soaked them with a warm wash cloth and white pus came out. I can't afford to take them to the vet. What can I do?

Answers

Try to go to the ASPCA or humane society. Eye infections can lead to blindness

My kitten has discharge coming from its eye. What should I do?

By Shekia O.

Answers

A kitty's eye discharge could be for many reasons (eye infection, internal problem, etc.) and should be examined by a veterinarian for correct treatment. If you do not take your kitty to a vet for help now, the problem can become worse and much more difficult (and costly!) to treat.

Your cat has an eye infection. Cats can lose their vision if the infection isn't cleared up in time. Your cat might also have the feline respiratory virus, which can cause permanent vision damage and mouth ulcers if not treated.

You'll need to take the kitten in to the vet for a definite diagnosis and medicine.

Expect to hear answers like "Call the vet" from people who don't know anything. While it is true that eye discharge can mean different things. With kittens, it is usually a few common things.

1. A bigger cat smacked the kitten and caught its eye with a claw.
2. The kitten has an eye infection. Which can usually be treated with antibiotic ointment applied around the eyes. Plus. You can give kitten the same liquid antibiotics you give your kids. Just google for sample dosages.
3. Kittens often are born with, or catch feline herpes which manifests into the goopy stuck eyes and intense sneezing and cold like symptoms. Buy a bottle of LYSINE pills. They usually come as 400mg pills. If the kitten will drink milk from a dropper, then that is the perfect chance to smash up a pill into fine dust. Mix it in. And feed it to the kitten. This will smack down the herpes flare up. Its best to give it every day to a kitten that has it. Or just do it when the herpes becomes a problem.

These kinds of symptoms usually lessen as a kitten gets old enough to show immunity. Don't fall into the vet trap which always consists of high cost drugs, shots, and pet food.

There is a LARGE LIE going around that cow's milk is bad for kittens. I have fed kittens on whole milk for 35 years. They have had zero problems. And grew up to be the healthiest cats imaginable. They try to say that cats are lactose intolerant. That is true. CATS. Not kittens. But even if a cat gets some diarrhea from milk. It does not harm them. And the milk is good for them. Thats why cats have been drinking it for centuries. Just giving you an example of how "vets" are nothing more than salesman for the drug and pet food companies.

My kitten has a gooey yellowish discharge coming from her eyes. What should I do?

Load More