Treating a Kitten With Crusty Eyes

Category Cats
There are several medical conditions that have this as a symptom. You can clean them with warm water and a soft cloth, however a trip to the vet will help with a diagnosis and the proper treatment. This is a guide about treating a kitten with crusty eyes.

The causes for crusty eyes and chins in cats are likely separate issues. The eye problem could be one of several, including allergies, something in the eye, or a viral infection. The chin problem is likely feline acne and is easily treatable. Also allergies to plastic food bowls can cause chin irritation. Check with a vet on both. This is a guide about treating a cat's crusty eye and chin.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My 3 week old kittens have something wrong with their eyes. They keep closing up with crust.

Jeanine from Barnegat, NJ

Answers

By Cyndi from Ontario,Canada (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I always use the trusty old tea bag. Get a cup of warm water and dip a regular black tea bag in that is wrapped with a paper towel and apply to their eyes.

Let it drip a little into their eyes as well. Make sure you use a seperate tea bag for each kitten. Do this several times a day and condition should be cleared up in a day or too. Works well on stys in humans as well. Good luck !!

By Carol (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The kittens eyes must be kept clean. Even with just a clean cloth and warm (not hot) water, wipe them. Then there is an antibiotic called teramycin that comes in a tube from the vet. You just squeeze a thin layer of it into each eye. Make sure you don't poke the eye and don't touch the eye with the tip.
Sometimes this works with just one use. Sometimes you have to use it more than once, but you must keep the eyes clean and crust-free with just water and a clean cloth. Don't use the same cloth on another kitten and use different sides of the cloth for each eye. After this, if it continues, you must take them to a vet or they can get worse and even go blind. Anymore questions that I might be able to answer, please email me: Samietooo AT aol.com I'm not a vet, but I do animal rescue and have gone through this many, many times.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Your kittens may have cat flu. Crusty eyes is one of the symptoms. Check with your vet.

Ellie.

Best Answer

When I adopted two of my cats they came home with medicine because they had an upper respiratory infection. They had crusty eyes and Bailee also had a runny nose. It could be any number of things, you should call your vet, describe the situation and they will tell you whether you need to bring the kittens in or if they can give you something without an appointment. I wouldn't count on it clearing up on it's own, and the mother could become ill as well. They need her to be healthy right now so she can take care of them. I wouldn't take any chances.
JoAnn in Elkhart

A stray has had kittens in my back yard and their eyes are looking rough. They are crusted shut. I've tried warm water and a cloth and it's worked on a couple of them. I try to keep the area where they sleep clean, but it's not easy.

I can't keep them, but I can't throw them away either. Is this problem contagious as I have inside cats as well. Please help. Thank you.

Answers

If one of my kittens have an eye Infection, can it effect my other kitten in my home

I had the same problem and I just pulled off the crusty areas then tried to pinch or squeeze the green puss out of its eyes I don't know if the infection is internal at all but I'm just trying to clean up its eyes first for a couple days and see how that goes. Maybe if its internal, you can get some antibiotics or something.

Anonymous

DON'T EVER squeeze or pinch ANY animal's eyes!!! Would you squeeze or pinch your BABIES eyes?!?!? DON'T EVER DO THAT

hi I caught a 3 month stray kitten who is not approx. 2 years old she has had 2 litters of kittens and our other cats have also had kittens. for all our kittens we found this to be normal. if u can get red seal green tea this will work. put the tea bag in warm water from the kettle and wipe their eyes at least 2 times a day, I also gave my kittens a bath once a week and changed their bedding after I cleaned their eyes, a cut up sheet will do as their mother will keep them warm, once they are 7 weeks old and their eyes are fine give them away for free, we do and they seem to go in a day.

with my kittens (2 weeks old) I found it could be a build up of sleep on their eyes with when they are older they wipe it them selves. with the tea it doesn't matter if it gets into their eyes cause it doesn't hurt them , just don't add milk or sugar. If this doesn't work then try warm water and normal salt and this will also help

hope this helps.

I found a kitten. It looks like his mom abandoned him. His eyes were shut and he had crust on his eyes. I cleaned it with warm water and his eyes are red and puffy. Should I take him to the vet or is it normal because the mom cat didn't clean his eyes?

Answers

Best Answer

The cat has an eye infection. It may also have worms, fleas, mites, etc.

Since you don't know, take your kitten to the veterinarian. The vet will get your cat set up with worm medicine, eye medicine and all that stuff. If he's old enough he'll start his vaccinations for dangerous illnesses such as rabies. You can make an appointment for a spay or neuter.

Next, go shopping for a breakaway kitten collar. The vet can get you tags. Now is the time to think of a name for your kitty. With a name and phone number on his tag, everyone will know he's yours.

I have a kitten probably a few weeks old. His eyes are matted shut and his nose looks crusty. He is very lethargic and won't eat. Is there help for this little guy?

Answers

Take him to a vet ASAP. He can lose his vision from an eye infection.

this sounds like an infection, common in baby cats. Defo take him to the vet. After that these are things you can use to help him in the future

I have had several stray kittens with the same problem. I would compare it to a bad head cold in a human. I always wiped their faces/eyes/nose with a warm cloth several times per day to keep them clean and comfortable. A vet can give antibiotics and vitamins to clear up the infection.

This kitten will need to see a Vet right away or you will lose him. He must have antibiotics for the eyes and respiratory infection. When they are this small you have no time to think about it. His best bet is to be treated right away by a Vet and staying with his mother. A local cat rescue might be helpful. Their foster care givers are very good with tiny kittens. Good luck.

Veterinary fees are high but this baby really needs to see one as soon as possible.

• You can wash his eyes and face with a soft clean white cloth dipped in warm water just to give him some relief until you take him to the vet. Keep him warm also.
  • Be sure to change the water and cloth often.
  • Seeing the vet will also give you a chance to set up a schedule for his shots and vaccinations at a later date.