Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat

Category Cats
Anytime you introduce a new pet to your resident pets there are some steps you can follow to make it a positive experience. This is a guide about introducing a new kitten to your resident cat.

The best pet tip I've found with cats is to get a couple of small towels - one for each cat. Rub the cats with their own towel, then give it to the other cat to sleep with and get used to each other's scents. Of course, we still take the time to slowly introduce them to each other, but this towel method seems to make the process go much easier in the long run.

This is Spike. He showed up in our carport one morning and we fell in love with him! He's an adorable orange tabby, 13 weeks old and extremely friendly and playful. He's the 3rd cat that we've adopted in the past 18 months and they all get along very well.

By Mary J. from Florence, SC

I got a 8 week old kitten today and my 7 month old keeps hissing at her. I have had to have the kitten with me in the bedroom at night with food, litter tray, and water as my female is not liking her. I just don't want my 7 month old cat hurting a 8 week old kitten. The 8 week old kitten is dying to see the older cat and wants to play, but my older cat doesn't like her and is always hissing at her. I don't want to have to re-home my new addition because of the older cat. Will she eventually like the kitten? How do I do this and make them get along?

Answers

Best Answer

Like any creature, cats are territorial. This new kitten is infringing on the 1st cats space..so she is obviously unimpressed. Cats do adjust after a little while usually.

The first one just needs to see that the kitten is not a threat, But some cats never quite adjust so it may be some trial and error. Protect the little one as long as you can...and when its a little older they may just have to establish their own order.

Best Answer

They are both still young and yes, this will happen. Even with dogs this happens. I introduced a new puppy in the house and my older dog who is almost 5 wasn't happy at all. He did bite the puppy a few times.

This does take time and you basically have to do this slowly and let them get used to each other. You'll have a few incidents and the older cat will show the younger one who's boss. They will work this out in time because they are both still young. I would keep going on like you are now and slowly, allow them in the room together for a bit longer each time.

Best Answer

One thing I have found that helps is to see that the new cat has her own space. I use a guestroom with litter box, water, food, toys and a few cozy beds and a window sill to look out of. My new kitties sleep in their rooms and get increased time out with the resident cats. I have found this keeps them much calmer and there is less hissing swatting etc, Look for a couple months of hostility.

Eventually they come to a truce. Will they ever like each other? It is hard to say. I like some people and not others. Cats are about the same, but slow introductions really help. Lately I have discovered that meditation type music (flutes, Enya) really calms the waters for cats. My 2, who will mix it up, just chill and go take another nap.

I have a cat who is almost one year old and I just got a kitten who is about 10 weeks old. My cat is hissing at the kitten, but that is all she does for now. How do I get her to like the kitten?

Answers

Best Answer

Since both are still young this may not take very long for them to accept each other.

• Usually it is better to keep them in separate rooms and let them "mingle" for short periods of time but be ready to rescue the little one if necessary. Try not to be too observant or the older one will realize there may be a problem here. Try not to force them to be friends as it will work out okay in a few days.
  • Place something (blanket, small towel, clothing) that has their scent in with the different cat so they will become accustomed to the one's scent.
  • It is also a good idea to place something that has your scent in with each cat. Even a sock will work.
  • Hopefully all of this will only take a few days.
  • Be sure to give equal attention to each kitten (no matter how cute the little one turns out to be).
Best Answer

This will take time and each cat will learn their place. I have introduced a cat in two different ways. Once I just let them get to know each other. This one worked out, but at times the older cat would start a fight with the younger one. I found out it was better to have the animals of the opposite sex. This works the same for dogs. The older dog will always put the baby in their place and make sure they know who is king.

You can also try what others do and separate them. Let them get to know each other little by little by introducing them. You can start with the smell or moving them around and leaving them in a room where the other cat has been.

As long as the older cat isn't attacking and hurting the new kitten I'd leave them for now and see how it works out. If the older cat is hurting the kitten, you have to move them away from each other.

I have a kitten that is 10 weeks old female and just got a new one that is a 7 week old female. The older one continually attacks the younger one. They bite, hiss, and growl at each other. I try to break then up, but they just run back and attack each other again. They have done this for two days and it is only getting worse. I would like to know if anyone has an idea how to adjust them to each other?

Answers

Best Answer

I agree with the recommendations here for slow introductions, having their own space, litter boxes and feeding dishes. That has always worked for me. But, when they begin playing with each other and you see more biting hissing and chasing dont feel like a failure. You will see less of it and it will fade away faster, it will not disappear. Especially with kittens. Kittens engaging in this kind of behavior usually dont hurt each other, it just sounds like war. Just keep an eye on them...they will grow up.

We just got an 11 week old kitten a couple days ago and our 2 year old cat does not like her at all. Not only does our older cat hiss at our kitten, but she hisses at me and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if they don't get along we will have to rehome our kitten. What's the best way for the cats to bond?

By Katie P.

Answers

I can assure you that sometimes it takes a while for cats to stop hissing with displeasure at the youngest addition to a family. That is normal behavior. I have the same thing all the time over here. (unless we are talking about Manx kittens which are like dogs).

I would not let the youngster really near the cat alone for a while. I could put her in the bathroom with her own food and water and litterbox, or the laundry room. I like to have them each have their own places. Have them have their own bowls especially. When they are together, tell the older cat "Look, it's a baby" when they are together. Talk softly and when the older cat complains, say "awww, that scares the Baby."

Your tone of voice helps. I would pay a lot of attention to the older cat. And in it's own place pay a lot of attention to the litte one too. I used to take the little ones on a tour, I would hold them and walk thru the hosue and tell them the names of all the animals and such. They would look all around. Walk slow and talk to the kitten like you are talking to a child. Do this everyday.

Here are some links:

http://www.yout  ch?v=rLLhJUsCQOc

Here is some info I copied and pasted from this link:
1. Allow your old cat to gradually familiarize itself with the kitten. For example, if it is a stray kitten that spends most of its time outdoors, let your old cat observe it through the window most of the time and bring the kitten indoors for short periods of time.

2. Set aside a room in your house where the kitten can live most of the time, if it is spending most of its time indoors. Take the kitten out of the room for short intervals and gradually introduce it to your old cat.

3. Establish a litter box for the kitten. If possible, place it some distance away from your old cat's litter box. Later, your cats may use each other's boxes, or even the same box, but its best to introduce your kitten to his own box at first.

4. Give the kitten its own food dish and water bowl. The cats then can use the same water bowl, but it is best if the kitten has his own bowl at first.

5. Talk nicely to the kitten and your old cat as you are introducing them to each other. Cats understand emotion, and your old cat can adapt to your emotion if it knows that you are friendly toward the new kitten.

6. Play with the kitten using balls or other cat toys, and let the old cat watch or join in. The old cat then realizes that the kitten is a great playmate.

Read more: http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz2ZMVKjhr0

Don't be overly concerned but don't expect them to share things. The baby will be afraid of using a litterbox in front of the oler cat and eating in front of him so give the kitten it's own area.

Keep us updated!

Blessings, Robyn

Great advice from Robyn. Be patient...takes a while! Very cute kitten!

I have had my boy kitten for about a month now. I brought home a girl kitten yesterday she's a little skittish and the two don't get along well. I have the oldest in the bedroom with food and an extra litter box and the kitten in the other room with her.own stuff. The two meow at each other through the door, but when they are in the same room they fight. I'm not sure if it's playing or them being mean. The littler one hisses at the bigger one. I started doing that towel method today.

Answers

Best Answer

Help them make friends with one another.

Step 1
Trim their nails to avoid puncture wounds if they fight.

Step 2
Let them smell each other under the doorway. They may start reaching under the door to play.

Step 3
Add some of the litter from each box to the other. Cats go by smell so the smell of the other cat in the litter with no bad effect will let each cat think that the other is present and they are still safe.

Step 4
Try letting them be together under your supervision, while you play with them with a toy on a rod type of toy.

Step 5
It is hard for them to be in a fighting mood while they are playing.

Step 6
Be prepared for some hissing. One kitten will retreat when hissed at. This establishes dominance.

Step 7
Once dominance is established there should be no more fighting, only hissing.

Step 8
After that you can let them be together permanently.

I am looking for help here because we have a unique cat. My wife and I got two Bengal cats from separate breeders, Misty was first and 6 months later came Kiwi. (The first image is of Kiwi and Misty together happily.) After 5 happy years for the four of us, Misty was tragically diagnosed with epilepsy. She was put down about a month ago and it was agonizing losing one of our best buddies.

It has been a month and we decided Kiwi needed a new friend, so we adopted from a shelter this time! We got Elsa from a shelter (the white kitten) and she is an absolutely amazing kitten. She wants to play with Kiwi right away, but we know to take it slow. Many people on here give good advice for cats, but Bengal cats can be very different. Kiwi is stubborn as hell and things only go well on her terms. We have a hard time cutting her nails as she never lets us hold her. She didn't have a problem with Misty so we thought she might be happy with a new buddy (Elsa).

It's been a week and we keep Elsa in a separate room with all the fixings, but it is clear she wants out of the room. It is almost impossible to get Kiwi into a room we want her in, has to be on her terms.

At times Kiwi will tolerate Elsa when we bring her out, we are very careful to monitor the situation, but Kiwi has never ever been violent, not even with bugs. It has been a very stressful week trying to get these two to get along, Elsa is cool with it, but Kiwi is stubborn!

We are trying all the tips we read, but we don't know how long this will take. I don't need them to be best buddies right away, but I do not want to keep Elsa in the room much longer. We tried cracking the door to her safe room and having them play together between it. Kiwi is okay watching Elsa from a distance of about a foot, but as soon as she gets in striking distance she hisses and growls and swats at poor Elsa.

How much longer will this last? We have tried feeding them together in eye sight, but Kiwi is very picky about her food bowl, if we move it too far she simply won't eat, that's how stubborn she is! She will give up and walk away if it's not her way. To this day Kiwi will not let us hold her. I just want to get to a point where Elsa can be released from the room for good. I know they will get along in time they are both loving in their own ways.

Please help us! We feel bad leaving Elsa in the safe room so much, we spend time with her, but still, will Kiwi ever accept her? How long does this take? How can I speed the process up while showing them both respect? How do I know if Kiwi will truly try to hurt Elsa or is it okay to let the swatting happen? Any advice would help!

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

For now it is just patience and a lot of love and caring for them.

1. You will need to keep the new kitten in a room of its own for a while.
  2. Give the kitten their own water dish, food dish, and bedding if you want to give them a bed to sleep on.
  3. You will have to get the older cat use to the kitten's smell. You can do this slowly by playing with the kitten in the otehr room and letting the kitten rub up against you.
  4. Now go and get the older cat and let them smell you and the smell of the kitten.
  5. Slowly start to feed the older cat near the door of the new cat. See how the older one reacts.
  6. You will need to move the bowl of food closer each time to the door.
  7. You will do the same for the kitten on the other side.
  8. After the cats can eat with the door in the middel and the bowls against the door it is time to move on to the next phase.
  9. This will be propping the door open just a crack and allowing the older cat and the kutten to start smelling each other.
  10. Let them see each other and smell each other.
  11. You can now try and swap room with the two or you can try to bring out the kitten and let him be in the same room as the older cat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't keep the kitten there too long because this might cause a problem.
  12. Keep doing this and incease the time.
  13. After about 2 weeks the two cats should be able to be out of the room and in the house and running around.
  14. The older cat might never accept the younger one, but it will be easier and the older one shouldn't atttack the younger once too much after this.

I have a male kitten (Jack) who is 12 weeks old and he has settled in with me and my son very happily :) I've had him for four weeks. The vet advised me to get another kitten/cat as he was starting to stress from being lonely. I got my little female kitten (Cookie) yesterday and quite understandably she has been very on edge about the whole thing (shes 8 weeks). He attempts to play with her, but she gets scared and hisses. He tolerates this for about 5 minutes then starts to go for her hind legs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips? (also going to get her spayed and him neutered in a couple of weeks...will this help?)

By Samantha Rose M. from Scotland

I have just got a 8 week old female kitten, and my 6 year old cat, won't come in, or go near the kitten, she seems to be scared of her. My cat, has always had other cats in the home, and I have done gradual introductions, but every time we try a introduction she just turns and runs away. I have never had this before so am a little unsure as to how to handle this. My cat is now not coming in.

By Nicky

Answers

Best Answer

I would give it some more time. Try feeding them something they love so they are eating within sight of each other (but not too close). Do this a few times. Make sure your resident cat get lots of attention. Cats in the wild only eat with family, and feeding within sight seems to create a bond. 'Good luck.

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten. I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

Answers

Best Answer

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

I rescued a black kitten 6 months ago. He was around 8 or 9 weeks old and having been hand reared from 3 weeks old. He was found in a bin with a very ill mother and 4 brothers and sisters, all re-homed. He is very comfortable with people. So comfortable he behaves more like a dog than a cat. He is now about 8 months old, neutered and and a very happy cat.

Just over a week ago my partner came home with a box with a tiny female kitten of around 5 or 6 weeks that he saw being dumped in a bin. Dumping kittens and puppies in bins is a "huge" problem in Spain. So my partner took her and brought her home.

Hugo, the 8 month old, reacted as I would expect. He was pretty unhappy that his kingdom suddenly had another cat's scent in it. I kept her in the second bathroom for the first night and day as she was seriously terrified of everything. On the second day I got hold of a crate and brought her into the living room. To start with Hugo would hiss and growl and run away. Ok, pretty normal right?

So after about a day and half of this he suddenly did a 180, or he seemed to. He sits in front of the crate and plays with her through the bars. He lays on top of the crate and plays through the side slits. He isn't staying outside for as long as before, sometimes he comes in, goes and sniffs her, then goes out again, like he is checking on her. They eat within sight of each other and she meows for him if he is in the room, but not right near the crate. I was thinking I had a major result without really trying.

So I opened the crate and let her out with Hugo in the room. He tried to bite her neck, from the top and from the underneath, and then got her in a headlock and I thought "oh no!", but then he started licking her, her head or her bottom usually, and I thought all was well. The headlock and licking has now turned into dive bombing her at every opportunity and after a minute of licking he starts biting her. He keeps biting her genital area which is somewhat concerning me as she doesn't fight back. She just adopts a completely submissive position and cries out when he bites.

If I shout his name or tap his bum he lets go and gets off her straight away, but then dive bombs her again within about 5 seconds. I've tried a water spray on him before, to stop him shooting up my curtains, but it didn't work as he loves water.

He is super friendly and confident, she is super timid and cautious. Is there anything I can do to help the situation or is it simply a case of waiting until she is bigger, stronger, and hopefully more capable of defending herself before they'll be OK together? Is it possible he can kill her? Her little neck seems so dainty compared to his teeth! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

I have a white cat Marcel who is one year three months old. We have just lost our beloved ginger cat Oscar, his brother. It was a big step for my husband and I to take in our two kitties last year. We took two brothers as we thought it would be easier for them to get to used to their new home and they would be friends and keep each other company. And it was so until this week. They were always together. They went hunting together, they played together, they ate together, they slept together. My beautiful smart boys. As we don't have children my cats are like my babies. They are part of me and it's very hard to get used to the idea of loss of my little baby Osky.

Now my little Marcy is alone and it makes me worried that loneliness may make him want to go and wonder far from home. I know I won't "replace" my deeply beloved Osky, but I thought maybe I could bring two more kittens in the house and they would be friends with my Marcy? Would they be able to be close as the two brothers were? I honestly don't know what to do. I look at my cat and he looks so bored and sad. And I don't know would it be a good idea to bring more cats or it may be the biggest mistake I make. Really worrying.

Selfishly speaking I always wanted several cats. They bring such joy and such love in our life. But I am so scared my little Marcy won't be happy with newcomers.
Could you please share your experience with me? I thought maybe as my Marcel was grown with another cat and as he is only a year and a bit old it will work OK? I will really appreciate if you could share your experience with me.
thank you very very much in advance!

I have been reading these posts looking for suggestions and such. I am currently fostering a 12wk old kitten who was found outside my sister's job, motionless, at about 5wks of age. It was severely dehydrated and anemic from fleas. She vetted her for the day and brought her to my house to foster, including bottle feeding, meds, you name it. Well now 2 months later she is a healthy, very energetic kitten who just wants to play.

I have a 3 year old female tortie, who is pretty laid back. I kept the kitten in a huge tent like pen for about 1 month, only letting them together when I was home. I think a month was sufficient. My older cat had access to sniff and smell all the time. Well now that they are not separated anymore, any time the kitten sees the older one, it's like WWF under my bed. My cat has no tolerance for her antics, and bear hugs, and biting of her tail, lol. My cat hisses, growls, meows, you name it and the little one just keeps pressing on. When it gets too much I redirect her with a toy and then separate. But other times, I will find them laying next to each other under my bed. I'm assuming this is all a normal part of "distinguishing boundaries"?

By Simi112671

I have a female cat (Jess) who's just over a year old, she was with another cat, but she and her owner moved out a few months ago. They got along well, eventually.

I bought a new male kitten (Tigger) to keep her company and they aren't getting on. She hissed and growled to begin with, and he didn't like her, but they are over that now.

They can be in the same room together and they are mostly fine, but he keeps aggressively playing with her by jumping on her back and biting her face and ears. She cries out sometimes and she always pins him and tells him off for hurting her, but he's always straight back on her doing it again. He will chase her around the house and give her no peace until I have to separate them (even as far as he won't let her go to the toilet). I don't know what to do with them anymore, short from getting rid of Tigger and would like some advice.

By George

I have a female cat she's 7 months and we've just got a new 8 week old male kitten. I don't have the room to keep them in separate rooms, but make sure they're not left alone and they are separated at night. My female cat keeps attacking the kitten, she seems to calm down and sometimes just sniffs him then walks away, but other times she's really nasty and pins him and bites him.

I've made a fuss of her, bought her her favourite food, and I make sure she gets lots of attention so she doesn't feel left out, but she still keeps attacking him. It's only been a week, but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. They will sleep in the same room together in the day if someone is there, but the minute she thinks you're not looking she gets ready to pounce and she wiggles her behind and then jumps and pins him to the floor and then bites him.

She sometimes just sniffs and licks him and then walks off, but then she seems to get worse and nastier. I don't think they will ever be friends, but I would love them to co-exist. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janine

Answers

Best Answer

Get a spray bottle filled with water, when ever that kitty is being unruly spray her. It's not going to hurt her and eventually she will get the idea not to harm you're kitten. I use one on a male cat that thinks he needs to spray to get attention. As long as he knows he can't do this he doesn't get sprayed. The long spraying type of bottle is great. Good luck, I have 5 kitties and love them all. Although my male is fixed he still thinks he has to spray it eases my mind just to use this method instead of chasing him.

My girlfriend and I moved in together a little over 6 months ago. We already have 1 amazing cat who is just over 1 year old. His name is Arthur and he is very playful, fun, energetic, and cuddly. We've been looking around for another kitten because Arthur has been getting kind of lonely and we think we found the perfect kitten. She's only maybe a couple months old if that. I grew up with dogs and Arthur was my first cat, so I really don't know much yet about cats. My question is how do I go about introducing them and just any tips you guys might have.

Thanks and I appreciate the help.

Load More