Introducing a New Kitten to the Resident Cat

I have a cat who is almost one year old and I just got a kitten who is about 10 weeks old. My cat is hissing at the kitten, but that is all she does for now. How do I get her to like the kitten?

Best Answer

Since both are still young this may not take very long for them to accept each other.

• Usually it is better to keep them in separate rooms and let them "mingle" for short periods of time but be ready to rescue the little one if necessary. Try not to be too observant or the older one will realize there may be a problem here. Try not to force them to be friends as it will work out okay in a few days.
  • Place something (blanket, small towel, clothing) that has their scent in with the different cat so they will become accustomed to the one's scent.
  • It is also a good idea to place something that has your scent in with each cat. Even a sock will work.
  • Hopefully all of this will only take a few days.
  • Be sure to give equal attention to each kitten (no matter how cute the little one turns out to be).
Best Answer

This will take time and each cat will learn their place. I have introduced a cat in two different ways. Once I just let them get to know each other. This one worked out, but at times the older cat would start a fight with the younger one. I found out it was better to have the animals of the opposite sex. This works the same for dogs. The older dog will always put the baby in their place and make sure they know who is king.

You can also try what others do and separate them. Let them get to know each other little by little by introducing them. You can start with the smell or moving them around and leaving them in a room where the other cat has been.

As long as the older cat isn't attacking and hurting the new kitten I'd leave them for now and see how it works out. If the older cat is hurting the kitten, you have to move them away from each other.

They have to get used to each other. Give each cat a blanket with the others scent.

You must separate them by room from the beginning then let each other have short bouts of play time little by little until they are comfortable.

This is very good and nice