Introducing a New Kitten to Our Resident Cat

We recently got a new female kitten named Misty and our resident cat, Shadow, a male, seems very angry with both us and the kitten. We haven't properly introduced him to the kitten because when we try to bring him into the house he gets very aggressive and hisses, growls, and scratches. He sits at the door and watches us, but refuses to come inside. He and Misty have seen each other through the window and Misty is fine with him, but we're scared that when we introduce them to each other our resident cat might hurt the kitten.

I'd really like for them to be friends and I don't want them to hate each other. How can I make Shadow come inside and how can I introduce them without one of them getting hurt?

By Eve M

Best Answer

I've gone through this before and actually am in the process of this again now. You just have to lock the kitten up when you are away. And let it out when u are there. They just have to get used to one another. Mine have been in together for about 2 months and now my cat let's the kitten eat from her bowl and occasionally licks her. But once and a while she still growls and has attitude. But will get over it.

Anonymous

Hi, I have I 4 years old male cat and we gave a 8 weeks female kitten to my little girl for Christmas . Our milo is so upset that when we are away we look the kitten in the bathroom but when we are all at home we let them together but milo is not happy.

I loved you explanation and we will wait for few weeks more. My dream is to see them sleeping together. Do you believed will be possible?

Pets CatsMarch 8, 2015
🍀
💘