Introducing New Kitten to Resident Kitten

I have had my boy kitten for about a month now. I brought home a girl kitten yesterday she's a little skittish and the two don't get along well. I have the oldest in the bedroom with food and an extra litter box and the kitten in the other room with her.own stuff. The two meow at each other through the door, but when they are in the same room they fight. I'm not sure if it's playing or them being mean. The littler one hisses at the bigger one. I started doing that towel method today.

Best Answer

Help them make friends with one another.

Step 1
Trim their nails to avoid puncture wounds if they fight.

Step 2
Let them smell each other under the doorway. They may start reaching under the door to play.

Step 3
Add some of the litter from each box to the other. Cats go by smell so the smell of the other cat in the litter with no bad effect will let each cat think that the other is present and they are still safe.

Step 4
Try letting them be together under your supervision, while you play with them with a toy on a rod type of toy.

Step 5
It is hard for them to be in a fighting mood while they are playing.

Step 6
Be prepared for some hissing. One kitten will retreat when hissed at. This establishes dominance.

Step 7
Once dominance is established there should be no more fighting, only hissing.

Step 8
After that you can let them be together permanently.

I have a 5 month male and just got a 2 month old female. He keeps biting her hard and then licking her. Is this normal?

If the towel method is that you give each kitten a towel with the others scent, that is a good start.

Also, make sure each kitten gets a lot of individual attention from you.

Dont be surprised if this takes awhile. It is common for them to go on sparring for a month or 2.

Usually at that time they become buddies or at least begin to tolerate each other.

Pets CatsJune 3, 2018
🎄