Getting a Kitten to Eat Dry Cat Food

Category Cats
If your kitten doesn't like dry food, it may be difficult to get them to eat it. This is a guide about getting a kitten to eat dry cat food.

How does one convince a 10 week old kitten that dry cat food is edible? I have tried adding water to the dry kibble, leaving it plain, and she still tries to "bury it". She eats canned food (and cheesies) with no problem, which is the problem as she is a little pig!

She has been de-wormed twice, there are 2 older cats in the house so she has her choice of three types of dry cat food.

Cinnamon from Williams Lake

Answers

Best Answer

If you start a cat out on wet food, they'll of course never want dry food... But I have 2 suggestions for you... Start by mixing dry with wet 50-50...& SLOWLY reduce the wet food.

If that doesn't work, you can buy (or make) a can of chicken broth (UNSALTED) & use the chicken broth full strength, undiluted right from the can or box to wet the dried food.... But as it is with a child, If they get hungry enough, they'll eat! (I bet it's harder for you to watch him miss a meal or 2, than it is for him...)

* Make sure any time you give a cat broth it's UNSALTED because salt is bad for their kidneys. And use care when it comes to TUNA for humans OR tuna cat food... because tuna is LOADED with Mercury, & they are such little creatures, Mercury can easily reek havoc on their tiny systems. I give my cat tuna cat food no more than once a month.

-----> And here's a tip for all you cat lovers out there. Cats can't digest lactose, so everyone will tell you "Don't give milk to cats, It'll give them diarrhea" but the solution is the same for cat's as it is for humans. Lactose Free milk. I buy my cat Lactose Free whole milk. It's available in the grocery store sitting close to the regular milk. (it cost's about twice as much as regular milk) I don't over do it, but for a treat, I give my cat 3 or 4 tablespoons at a time.

Best Answer

Try mixing the dry food with cooked white rice. Most cats love rice and this may get her started on dry food. And here's another reason you shouldn't give cats tuna: most cats lack the enzyme necessary to digest it. A cat can starve to death on a diet with lots of tuna.

Best Answer

Mix it with the wet food. By the time she finishes the wet food, the dry food will have some of the flavor of both and be softer. Eventually, she will try it. Just like a child - if you keep putting something in front of them without pushing it, they will try it on their own sooner or later.

Best Answer

My husband and I have 5 cats and we have learned that the cats are like our daughters were...each one has their own personality and taste perferences.

Buy some "dry food for kittens" as IF you are giving them adult dry food IT is much too difficult for them to eat.

Remember too that they are just small babies and like our adult babies they require to be fed every 2 to 3 hours...

We have a bag of dry food folded back and sitting in the corner of the kitchen for the babies to eat when they want to right next to their water dish.

*****IF cats only eat dry food their poo-poo will not smell...but when they do eat canned food LOOK OUT FOR A VERY BAD POO-POO SMELL...

Our friend (who is also our vet) told us to never let the cats go more then 72 hours/3 days without eating. IF they do go that long then there is something wrong with them and take them to their vet to be seen immediately.

Always make sure their water is fresh & clean each day & also that their cat box is pooped scooped at least once a day.

Try different kinds of dry kitten foods as they are like us and have different taste too.

Good Luck to you and keep us informed on how your both doing...

I was at vet on Friday and she said to start dry food. My 9 week old kitty hates it. I put in some regular milk (cap full) and she ate it. This was 6 hours ago, is she going to be sick?

Answers

Best Answer

I cant imagine why milk would make your kitten sick. Unless she has an allergy to it, which is pretty uncommon. If she does not like dry cat food, feed canned food. Canned food has all the nutrition of dry food and helps your cat to stay hydrated because it is moist. A cat that stays well hydrated may have less chance for kidney disease later in life. I give my cats a tablespoon of cream once in awhile for a treat. they love it.

Best Answer

I read something on the site about cats not digesting milk, that's why I asked. Kitty did not get sick. I've been feeding her wet food but vet said try dry it's better for their teeth. I got her at three weeks old and as I said I've never had a cat much less a three wk old kitten. We've been winging it from beginning and were both still here, so I'm gaining confidence as a cat owner. Thanks for responding.

I have a 7 week old kitten and it has no interest in eating kitten food. I've tried dry food, I tried crushing it up. I've tried wet food and it doesn't want anything, but to keep feeding off its mom. What should I do?

Answers

Some kittens (and mothers) do not always want to do the weaning process so it is crucial that someone helps them succeed. I always tried putting some wet food on my finger and rubbing it around in their mouth (usually worked to some extent).

I found a couple of really good sites that tell several things to try that may help you through this process.

http://www.petm  to_feed_a_kitten

http://www.askt  ing-kittens.html

This kitten may still need its mother's milk. 7 weeks is still young.