Kittens With Cold in Its Eye

My cat had kittens 2 weeks ago. One of the four has cold in their eye. I have tried using warm milk and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

By Sam J

Best Answer

If you don't have a tube of neosporin get one for $2+ at Walmart, or generic at DollarTree for $1. Put a bit in eye after wiping eye first with damp cotton swab/ball. Then apply a dab on a Q-tip or similar. Be careful of your own health and make sure you wash and use sanitizer afterwards if possible. Do not use tube for any other use after kitten better. Keep around medication for 2 weeks in case of recurrence and then toss it. I'd medicate morning and night for about 5 days.

Your answer is called a veterinarian to be certain this is just a "cold in the eye" as you stated and not the beginning of Cat Flu. Good luck

Hello,
Kittens are so nice to have around!
I know how difficult it can be to take our animals to the vet unless we feel sure it is very necessary.

I can remember having to learn when to take a child to the doctor and when to try old fashioned remedies.

I have found that kittens are sometimes prone to having a yellow discharge from their eyes that may not be serious.
. I always mixed a small amount of Epson salt or just regular salt in a cup of hot water (Sea salt is really good also).
Let the water warm! and then dip a small cotton square or a very clean piece of WHITE cloth in the warm water and DAB it gently on the kittens eyes (both eyes). Be very gentle. Don't worry if you do not remove all of the yellow gunk. Just be sure to use a clean area of the pad each time so that you do not spread the infection.
Throw all used material away.

You will have to do this several times a day for 2 or 3 days and then slack off to maybe 2 times a day until the yellow does not come back. Just be sure to make fresh salt water and use only clean pads.

This may take time so be patient. This may be contagious so keep an eye on the other kittens.

You could also Google this question and see what others suggest.

This always worked for me but if there is no improvement then it would be best to try and take them to the vet.

Animals are precious and I am glad you are trying to find help.

I cound a kitten in a car engine and got him very wild and scared. He cried all the time. Could this crusting be from crying and missing his momma. I trapped him and try to get food and milk down him Help!