Treating Cat's Crusty Eye and Chin

Category Cats
The causes for crusty eyes and chins in cats are likely separate issues. The eye problem could be one of several, including allergies, something in the eye, or a viral infection. The chin problem is likely feline acne and is easily treatable. Also allergies to plastic food bowls can cause chin irritation. Check with a vet on both. This is a guide about treating a cat's crusty eye and chin.

My cat has a crusty eye, chin, and upper jaw. What is it? How do we get rid of it? The cat has been taken to the vet twice, given eye wash, an extended round of Prednisolone 5 MG, and two rounds of Neo Poly Dex Opth Ointment. Yet the black crusty stuff just keeps coming back. He has been treated with Neosporin, but will rub his face until it's all gone. What is this from? And what do we do to make it stop? He occasionally walks around with his eye almost closed, which is worrying us.

By Benson

Answers

Best Answer

Chin looks like feline acne, need to use glass or ceramic bowls. A weepy eye that is sometimes closed or "winky" May be feline herpes, once an ulcer is ruled out (special dye for eye). In stressful times (to a cat, it can be a change in furniture) it tends to get worse. Often a steroid ointment or steroids can be given but sometimes not very helpful.

The least traumatizing treatment is to give Lysine (made for cats) to try to stop the virus from activating and replicating. He can also have allergies but the steroids (prednisone) usually help with that. Go to a ophthalmology specialist, it may cost more in the beginning but they can at least give you a more definitive answer.

Best Answer

I don't think the two are related (chin/eye). I agree with the previous poster about the chin.

One of my cats similarly developed "a wink" and was found to have an eyelash that turned inward irritating the eye. Surgery corrected it. May not be the same for your cat. Good luck - He looks sweet!

Best Answer

This was happening to my cat's chin and I took her to the vet, paid a lot of money for them to tell me to stop letting her drink from plastic cups. The cat used to drink my icewater when it was on the coffee table so I used to just give her a cup for herself so she'd leave mine alone.

Apparently this caused the dermititis. They sold me a $30 bottle of medicated shampoo and told me to give her a bath in it. I don't think that helped at all - except maybe their profit margin. But as soon as I went back to only letting her drink from the stainless steel bowls she healed right up.

When my kitten was younger she developed rodent ulcers. After bringing her to the vet and getting a prescription that didn't work, I just removed all the plastic bowls and changed her food and it went away on its own.

My cat is now a little over 1 year old and has developed chin acne and crusty black stuff around her eyes, where the whiskers are (everywhere on her face).

I took her to the vet and they told me to change her food again and gave her some Orbax for 14 days which made the black stuff dry up and flake off. A day after she stopped her meds she started to get black stains again. We brought her back to the vet and he prescribed her Purina HA cat food, but she started getting the same stuff all over again. She has also been licking her butthole and privates constantly.

I have done everything I can do household wise. I've changed her ceramic fountain to a stainless steel fountain, all stainless steel food bowls, prescription diet, changed her cat litter to Worlds Best, with no scent. I don't think this is an allergy to food! I also make sure I clean her cat acne on her chin daily and wash every food bowl/fountain daily.

The pic in the car is of her heading to the vet after the black "stains" started again.

Answers

I would explain my frustration to the vet. If i were you, I would go to another vet to see if s/he had the same diagnosis and prescription recommendations.

DOES THE CAT HAVE BLACK HEADS?
IS THE CAT MISSING ANY HAIR ?
COULD BE ALOPECIA.

CRUSTY SORES CAN BECOME IRRITATED,AND INFECTED.
ASK FOR ANTIBIOTICS AND BUY AN OINMENT LIKE POLY SPORIN.TRY THAT INSTEAD,IT COULD BE AN INFECTION.
TRY WASHING THE ACNE AND CATS EYES OFTEN.USE PEROXIDE ON THE ACNE.THERE IS NO CURE FOR ACNE BUT KEEPING IT UNDER CONTROL.WASH THE CAT'S EYES WITH WARM WATER AND A CLEAN COTTON BALL.

It sounds to me like you have more than one thing going on here. It may well have a food allergy component to it. I would also be suspicious of a yeast allergy along with the cat acne. Chewy (the web site)has several treatments for this problem that cover more than one cause.