Treating a Kitten's Eye Infection

My kitten has stuff coming out her eye and I was wondering if I could put Vaseline on it cause I think she has an eye infection. I will be booking an appointment with her vet soon, but in the meantime would it be OK if I just put Vaseline on temporally?

Best Answer

No. Vaseline is petroleum jelly and should never be put in eyes. When my dog's eyes were tearing because of oak tree allergies, my vet told me to use saline solution. Just a drop or two in each eye. Saline solution can be bought very cheaply at any drugstore or Walmart. Most people buy it as a nasal spray to unblock their nose. My vet also said to never use human eye drops on a dog or cat.

Another thing you can do is wipe the matter away with a clean warm cloth. This helps for awhile. But do get your kitten to the Vet ASAP. Kittens eye infections can cause blindness if not treated properly.

I meant to say clean, warm, moist cloth.

With no disrespect "never" think what you assume is wrong or correct treatment for any animal. And why do you have to wait to contact your Cat's best friend the Veterinarian? and has it had all current injections including "to keep it simple cat flu"?

The longer you wait to ask professional advise the worse it can become. Good luck.

Please take your cat to a vet ASAP. This is not something to self-treat or you could very well end up with a blind cat in a very short time.

Vaseline does bad things to your eyes, it wouldn't help your cat's eyes either.

Cat's eyes make a lot of mucus. Adult cats clean this away, and you never notice it. Kittens don't know how to clean themselves properly, and the mother cat doesn't always get to it, so the gunk builds up.

A warm wet cloth can clear the gunk away, though it will likely return. A tea bag is often used, as it makes a cheap one shot sponge. Throw it away to keep things sanitary. The tea also helps to break up the gunk.

However, a full blown eye infection is very much a possibility. In such cases, treatment is best left to a vet.