Litter Box Used by Male Kitten Has Strong Smell

A week ago I brought in a new kitty. I was introducing him to my old female cat, and I am very thankful for all the responses on my post on how to introduce my male kitty to my resident cat. Though they are not yet comfortable with each other I am sure as I am following all your advice it would soon get better.

Now, my question is, why is my new male kitty's litter box stink so much. I have now three litter boxes for I have two cats at home. But the litter box that my new kitty is using stinks so much even if I clean it every day when I get home from work and when I wake up in the morning. It's just so different with my old resident cat, where I don't even smell it stink. Can you advise what I have to use to minimize this?

My place is just a pad being alone, I have my new kitty stay in the bathroom at night which is a bigger space and let him roam around when I am around so I could guard him in case my resident cat attacks him, though it has never happened yet except the normal hissing. I have observed that my new kitty wants to play with my old cat, but at the moment she still feels threatened. I hope I can get more from your advice, much more on the stinking litter box.

His urine may be more concentrated than hers. You may have to use an enzyme based cleaner such as Natures Miracle to truly get rid of the smell.

Thank you Judy

Hi,

I would suggest getting a probiotic for your kitten. You can buy them online or at pet stores.

It is possible that probiotics will help with digestion. Switching foods can help too. Some foods cause worse stools than others do.

There is a lot of stress involved with being a kitten, and that can affect the digestion too. I wish you the best!

Here is a site I go to a lot:

thecatsite.com/.../

Blessings,

Robyn

Thank you

Please get the kitten to the vet and have him checked out. A strong urine smell is not normal and it is possible he has a health issue that needs to be checked out. If he has a clean bill of health, then talk to the vet about possible solutions for the smell. You may just need to change litter types or keep an air purifier next to the litter box.

Post back what you learn! Blessing and prayers!

Thank you, I will follow your advise

Post back with an update!! Prayers for the fur ball baby!!!

I am glad to hear your kitties are building a good relationship. I thought of a couple things after reading your post. Male animals usually have stronger smelling urine. Especially before they are neutered. This is the case with cats. You are used to the litter box smell from your female cat. That said, I would have a concern about "really stinky" urine as being an illness. I would probably take some urine in to my Vet to have it checked out.

If your kitten has not been evaluated by a Vet or had his vaccinations it would be a good idea to do all three things at once. His urine will smell a little less after he is neutered, but most likely be a little stronger and different than your female. If it is his feces that is extra smelly that can be a sign of illness. But keep in mind that cat feces is famous for being stinky even in a healthy cat. Again, your Vet will be able to give you a better answer there. Best of luck with your new kitten.

Thank you

Un neutered male feline urine stinks to high heaven. Talk to vet about when you can neuter when he gets shots. They mature quickly, do it before he starts spraying. then you really have a nightmare.