Removing Mildew from Leather

Category Leather
Leather clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. can develop mildew while being stored. One method that can be successful is wiping down the item with white vinegar. No matter what you use, be sure to check colorfastness before cleaning the entire surface. This is a guide about removing mildew from leather.

How do I clean mold off of leather and suede?

By eric from Cleveland, OH

Best Answer

Have a look at a leather motorbike jacket I just cleaned. It was given a rub with a tea tree oil blend meant for a face steamer. The difference is huge! I will post if it fades but it looks good so far!

How do I remove mould from leather shoes?

By Nicole from Australia NSW

I need to remove mildew from my leather handbag from being left in a cupboard for about 4 months. We have rather a high humidity rate here, and so mildew tends to form pretty soon on articles left in closets.

By Mani Mare from Durban, South Africa

Removing Mildew from Leather

Have you tried using saddle soap? (04/14/2010)

By Laura Brown

Removing Mildew from Leather

Had the same problem. What worked for me is that I wiped the handbag with a damp cloth to remove the worst. Then I grabbed one of those shoe polish bottles with the sponge applicator (my handbag was black so it was easy to match color), and gave the bag a good going over with the shoe polish. I allowed it to dry, and it now looks like new! (04/15/2010)

By cettina

How do I remove mildew from a leather jacket?

By Faye Clayton from Wynne, AR

Removing Mildew from Leather

Try car upholstery cleaner. (01/06/2010)

By jimmy

How do you clean mildew off of leather belts and leather boots?

Does anyone know how to clean of mildew from leather car seat?

Endsy from Houston, TX

Removing Mildew from Leather

You need to use a professional mold killer on this something like Em Clean from LTT. This will kill the spores and prevent them from coming back.

Leather care consultants (11/20/2007)

By Judy Bass

Removing Mildew from Leather

Do not try vinegar. This ruined my leather saddle for good, and I'm still trying to find ways to fix it. Bleach is also too strong. Find a pH neutral leather cleaner, available at a country supply or pet supply store.

So far, Listerine has been somewhat successful in removing it. (08/03/2008)

By Regal

Removing Mildew from Leather

I have a stunning vintage Hermes Kelly bag that was covered in mildew after being stored in a closet that I was unaware had a problem with damp. The mildew was white and covering the interior of this very valuable and beautiful bag. I did a little research and then realized that the best killer of mold that would not harm the leather or myself was Tea Tree Oil. It also nourished the leather as well as killing the mold spores. My bag is like new again and I am a happy girl. Good luck. PS- Never ingest tea tree oil, but it works great on mildew and athletes foot from gyms, hotel showers, etc. (12/13/2008)

By The Travelvixen

What can be used to safely clean mildew off a leather briefcase that won't harm or discolor the leather?

Does anyone know how to get the mildew odor out of leather jackets?