Removing Mold and Mildew from Leather

Category Leather
Unfortunately, mold and mildew can easily grow on leather under the right conditions. This is a guide about removing mold and mildew from leather.

Can you get mold off of leather? My husband has a leather jacket that sustained water damage and is now moldy in some places. This leather jacket means a lot to him and I would really love to return it to its previous glory!

Can it be done? What do I need to do?

Thanks yall!

Sheila from Port St. John, FL

Answers

I found a bag of clothes sitting in the trash that had 2 leather jackets in it. I wanted to see if I could salvage them to make purses. But I guess the bag had something damp inside as both of the jackets had mold on them. Seeing as I had nothing to lose I hung them up on my clothesline and shot them with the hose. Then I sprayed them with dilute ammonia and scrubbed them with a brush and then shot them with the hose again. I mean they were soaking wet, lining and all. Then I left them on the line all day to dry. They looked as good as new. Now I am not advocating doing this with good jackets as a matter of course, but if you've got nothing to lose, go for it!

Susan

First you go to Patrick's Pub and have a beer.
Once done, go home and try
For full cleaning and conditioning, try this mixture:

1 part white vinegar
2 parts neatsfoot oil OR raw or food grade linseed oil
Use a white lint free cloth to swirl on, leave overnight then buff for maximum shine.
Remove any mildew or mold on leather before starting with a regular cleaning. To remove mildew, try this inexpensive, easy recipe:

1 part rubbing alcohol
1 part water
Spray on or use on a dampened cloth. Use a clean white lint free cloth and replace as it gets dirty. Avoid direct sunlight and allow to air dry. You may also turn on a fan and allow it to gently waft over the surface.

Either of these will do the trick.

I have just got out my leather jacket in the back bedroom where it is quite cool and I took out my leather jacket from the protected bag and I noticed to my horror is that it has got green mould spots all over the bottom jacket. Can any body tell me how to get rid of it please, which I would appreciate it.

I successfully cleaned about 3000 moldy, mucky jackets after Hurricane Katrina. The answer to your question is probably. A lot of the answer depends on how severe the damage is. If the zippers or snaps have been severely corroded, then the leather may be salvaged, but the metal parts will probably need replacing. That can be quite expensive. Through gentle agitation and a mild soap, most mold can be removed and neutralized.

I have two jackets didn't store them right they have bunch mildew on the what kind of soup did you use thank you can please get back to I really need help to save these thanks

Was there a nasty smell to it?

How do i get it out of leather jacket

Will it discolor black leather?

How do I remove mold frm a leaher jacket

How do you clean leather? I have some older leather jackets and chaps that have mold on them. Is there any way to get them clean?

April from North Henderson, Illinois

Answers

My son got blood on a new suede jacket, the dry cleaners here sent it to the city and it came back stained. A native aquaintance said wash it and hang it on the line on a windy day. All the stains came out and it looked great.

Editor's Note: This suggestion should be used with caution. The suede may have been a synthetic (which could be washed). Any washing of leather can change the texture. If you want to try it use only cold water.

Hi April, you might also try, first hang it out in the sun to dry out the mold as much as possible. Then take a soft brush and brush as much of the mold off as you can, and repeat this a few times, until clean.Susan

I've had great success tossing leather garments in the washing machine; gentle cycle, cold water, minimal mild detergent. Hang to dry.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Rose Anne

Do not wash real leather in a washing machine. NOT GOOD FOR LEATHER! There's lots of leather cleaners out there in your neighborhood hardware stores.

How do I clean mould off leather and felt? Can you give me a natural recipe please?

What is the best way to get rid of the musty smell from a Koolah leather jacket that has been in storage for awhile?

By Allan D. from Pender Harbor, BC