Removing Mold and Mildew from Leather

Category Leather
Unfortunately, mold and mildew can easily grow on leather under the right conditions. This is a guide about removing mold and mildew from leather.

Leather clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. can develop mildew while being stored. One method that can be successful is wiping down the item with white vinegar. No matter what you use, be sure to check colorfastness before cleaning the entire surface. This is a guide about removing mildew from leather.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Cleaning mold off leather is easy, using glycerin soap and warm water and a soft rag. Wipe off excess soap with a dry rag, then hang item out in the sun if it's a nice day, or put in the dryer on high heat for 3-5 minutes. Smells great too!

Can you get mold off of leather? My husband has a leather jacket that sustained water damage and is now moldy in some places. This leather jacket means a lot to him and I would really love to return it to its previous glory!

Can it be done? What do I need to do?

Thanks yall!

Sheila from Port St. John, FL

Answers

I found a bag of clothes sitting in the trash that had 2 leather jackets in it. I wanted to see if I could salvage them to make purses. But I guess the bag had something damp inside as both of the jackets had mold on them. Seeing as I had nothing to lose I hung them up on my clothesline and shot them with the hose. Then I sprayed them with dilute ammonia and scrubbed them with a brush and then shot them with the hose again. I mean they were soaking wet, lining and all. Then I left them on the line all day to dry. They looked as good as new. Now I am not advocating doing this with good jackets as a matter of course, but if you've got nothing to lose, go for it!

Susan

By anthony majusiak (Guest Post)

First you go to Patrick's Pub and have a beer.
Once done, go home and try

For full cleaning and conditioning, try this mixture:

1 part white vinegar
2 parts neatsfoot oil OR raw or food grade linseed oil
Use a white lint free cloth to swirl on, leave overnight then buff for maximum shine.
Remove any mildew or mold on leather before starting with a regular cleaning. To remove mildew, try this inexpensive, easy recipe:

1 part rubbing alcohol
1 part water
Spray on or use on a dampened cloth. Use a clean white lint free cloth and replace as it gets dirty. Avoid direct sunlight and allow to air dry. You may also turn on a fan and allow it to gently waft over the surface.

Either of these will do the trick.

By frank (Guest Post)

I have just got out my leather jacket in the back bedroom where it is quite cool and I took out my leather jacket from the protected bag and I noticed to my horror is that it has got green mould spots all over the bottom jacket. Can any body tell me how to get rid of it please, which I would appreciate it.

I successfully cleaned about 3000 moldy, mucky jackets after Hurricane Katrina. The answer to your question is probably. A lot of the answer depends on how severe the damage is. If the zippers or snaps have been severely corroded, then the leather may be salvaged, but the metal parts will probably need replacing.

That can be quite expensive. Through gentle agitation and a mild soap, most mold can be removed and neutralized.

I have two jackets didn't store them right they have bunch mildew on the what kind of soup did you use thank you can please get back to I really need help to save these thanks

Was there a nasty smell to it?

How do i get it out of leather jacket

Will it discolor black leather?

How do I remove mold frm a leaher jacket

How do I clean mold from black leather?

Answers

Best Answer

Cleaning mold off leather.

Step 1
Wipe off mold with a damp cloth.

Step 2
Allow leather to dry completely.

Step 3
Then use baby shampoo and wash again.

My leather/suede coats were left in boxes when I moved. I forgot about them being in the garage. Now all have some form of mold. Can they be salvaged, at least a few? Three are pictured.

Answers

Best Answer

Bleach is very hard on leather, so you may not want to do that. There are special leather cleaners that can be had that work well to restore leather. They would also have special conditioners for leather. I would see if I could get a hold of one of these first and then try wiping the main mildew source with a damp cloth ( dampened with water and a mild detergent) and then use the leather cleaner/ conditioner on them.

I have done this on a leather bible case that was in storage and had a film of mildew like in your pics and it worked well.

How do I clean mold off of leather and suede?

By eric from Cleveland, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Have a look at a leather motorbike jacket I just cleaned. It was given a rub with a tea tree oil blend meant for a face steamer. The difference is huge! I will post if it fades but it looks good so far!

How do you clean leather? I have some older leather jackets and chaps that have mold on them. Is there any way to get them clean?

April from North Henderson, Illinois

Answers

By SIRIS (Guest Post)

My son got blood on a new suede jacket, the dry cleaners here sent it to the city and it came back stained. A native aquaintance said wash it and hang it on the line on a windy day. All the stains came out and it looked great.

Editor's Note: This suggestion should be used with caution. The suede may have been a synthetic (which could be washed). Any washing of leather can change the texture. If you want to try it use only cold water.

By (Guest Post)

Hi April, you might also try, first hang it out in the sun to dry out the mold as much as possible. Then take a soft brush and brush as much of the mold off as you can, and repeat this a few times, until clean.Susan

I've had great success tossing leather garments in the washing machine; gentle cycle, cold water, minimal mild detergent. Hang to dry.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Rose Anne

Do not wash real leather in a washing machine. NOT GOOD FOR LEATHER! There's lots of leather cleaners out there in your neighborhood hardware stores.

Anonymous

I have been washing leather coats in the washing machine for years as I buy them at thrift stores to reuse the leather. Some come out better than others, and some are too nice to cut up. Dry cleaners use toxic chemicals, which no animal ever used to get clean. Sometimes the leather will be a bit stiff, but easily softened by working it. I also wash my leather gloves and slippers by hand and shape them as they dry.

How do I clean mould off leather and felt? Can you give me a natural recipe please?

Answers

From Leather:
1 part rubbing alcohol
1 part water
Spray on or use on a dampened cloth.
Use a clean white lint free cloth and replace as it gets dirty.
Avoid direct sunlight and allow to air dry. You may also turn on a fan and allow it to circulate over the surface

From felt:
Remove as much dirt as possible
Cover area with baking soda
Put vinegar on the area
Let sit for a few minutes
Clean with water
Allow to dry and brush to fluff

What is the best way to get rid of the musty smell from a Koolah leather jacket that has been in storage for awhile?

By Allan D. from Pender Harbor, BC

Answers

Air it out very well. Use a saddle soap to clean the leather portion. The inside, if lined, you can help rid the smell by wadding up newspaper and stuffing it into the sleeves to help absorb the odor. You can also spray the lining with fabrize (don't get it on the leather) or vinegar.