Cleaning Permanent (Sharpie) Marker from Leather Furniture

Category Leather
Unfortunately it is not uncommon to get Sharpie marks on your leather couch. This is a page about cleaning permanent (Sharpie) marker from a leather couch.

I got permanent marker on my new white leather chairs! There are two small dots around 1 cm x 1 cm. I tried cleaning them with detergent straight away and they've faded. I've tried hairspray as well. My parents are going to kill me. Please help!

Katie

Answers

By Nicole (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I used rubbing alcohol on my brown leather couch for a purple permanent ink stain and it worked great!

By Petra Wright (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I used nail polish remover, that was a big no no!! It took the color out of the leather chair and it looks terrible! So do not use nail polish remover on leather!

How can I get Sharpie permanent marker off my cream leather sofa?

By becky from Norfolk, Great Britain

Answers

Best Answer

Try a little nail polish remover on a Q-Tip in a place that won't be too noticeable. If it seems to be working, try it some more. The biggest risk is that it will also take off the leather dye.

I've also heard that Goo Gone and Ditto Fluid work.
Susan

Best Answer

So, I finally found the cure to the silver Sharpie on the black leather sectional. It's called Leather CPR and you can get it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $12. You simply apply it with a clean sponge. I did have to scrub it with the coarse side "lightly" where the marker was. However, to do the entire 7 seat sectional, it took me about 45 min. to condition it. So not only did I get the marker out, but the couches look brand new! And unlike the other postings, I have posted the before picture (in the blog below this one) and an after picture here. I hope this has helped.

But word of advice before trying anything on your furniture, you should ALWAYS try it on a small piece of the couch, like the bottom or somewhere you wouldn't notice if it messes it up.

My daughter recently marked on my friend's leather couch with a Sharpie permanent marker! How in the world can I get that out? Please help.

Barbara

Answers

My kids had Sharpie marked a friend on a sleep over and it had gone onto my 15 month old ivory leather settee. I looked through this website and spray sunsceen seemed most popular to remove the stain.

I tried Banana Boat spray factor 50 and it came off straight away. It really works. What a relief:) You have to use a spray (I tried a cream first and it didn't do much).

Anonymous

Just a tip I wouldn't recommend using rubbing alcohol it makes it worse(I know from experience)

I used a sunscreen followed by a pocketBac it worked really well(with the pocketBac rub it in first then put a layer on to soak). I suppose any rubbing alcohol would work as long as that is the active ingredient. Hope this helpsXx

Sunscreen Really works, I got a Black Sharpie Marker out my BMW leather seats with Coppertone 50 kids, It works!

This (sunscreen) took the finish off my leather sofa- dark brown, so did magic eraser and rubbing alcohol

What kind of sunscreen please? I have tried nivea kids factor 30. Didn't work

I wish I had read down further and found your advise before I took the advise of the previous comment saying alcohol works beautifully. No it doesn't IT MAKES IT WORSE I AM FURIOUS...

Use sunscreen, but let it set for a few minutes then wip it off.

My "artistic" 2 year old was on a Sharpie spree, blue on our light brown leather couch. I used the leather cleaner and it got lighter, but didn't come off. Then he used a silver metallic Sharpie on my laptop, not on the screen, but on the mouse pad. I will try the non acetone remover, but what about the leather couch? Is it a total loss?

By Debbie M.

Answers

Have you tired using erasers? Gently rub away the marks. Probably it would help :)

Anonymous

That is completely wrong.

Anonymous

Put sunscreen on a towel then wipe the spot I have had previous success with this method

Anonymous

Hand sanitizer worked for my wife.

Anonymous

If you have removed the color, then call a leather professional who can restore the color and finish back to new.

My daughter used a black Sharpie marker on my white leather sofa. I used baking soda, vinegar, baking soda with toothpaste, acetone which wasn't a really good idea, and alcohol; nothing worked! I don't know what else to try.

I also used Off bug spray. It gave me a good result, but not all of it came off, just the darkest ink. So now I have scribbles all over, but light lines. Please help me!

Answers

It sounds like you have tried a lot of things, and also white leather has got to be the most unforgiving thing out there!

I honestly would just try everything many many times and see if any of it improves over time.

Here are additional tips: https://www.ont  ns-from-leather/

" No luck, until the thought hits me  if sunscreen makes the marker go from skin to the car seat then maybe

Solution  spray on sunscreen!!! Remove ink stains from leather car seats like MAGIC!"

so you might try that.

Try WD-40

How do I remove black permanent magic marker from leather furniture?

By J. Murray from Myrtle Beach, SC

Answers

Do a small test patch out of sight. Nail polish remover might do it, either with a cue tip or a kid's watercolor paint brush.

If the leather discolors matching shoe polish might blend it. Allow it to dry then buff with a soft cloth.

I was watching my boyfriend's two kids and they got green coloring permanent marker on his brother's beige leather couch cushions. I'd like to help remove the stain. What will remove it safely?

By carla from Grants Pass, OR

Answers:

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

I had to post this for you all because a day after getting a new white Italian leather sofa my 2 yr old decided to take bright pink permanent marker and add some "color". I was in shock, but I found an awesome cleaner in my search to get it out, Goop. It worked like a charm and even gets permanent marker off wood, linoleum, certain paint, and best of all - fabrics! :) (10/01/2010)

By Shoehoundess

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

My son got a hold of a silver Sharpie and got it all over our black leather sectional. I've tried it all. The nail polish remover, sunscreen, lighter fluid, Magic Eraser, and body sprays all stripped the leather. (Thankfully, I tried it on a small spot on the bottom, back underside of the couch.) As for the wipes, hand sanitizer (both alcohol and alcohol-free), Oxi-clean, and green spray had "no" results. It didn't even fade the metallic marker. I am in desperate need of advice. If anyone knows any secrets, please help. Again, it's not just in one spot, it's all over. (10/11/2010)

By Brandy Stubblefield

RE: Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

So, I finally found the cure to the silver Sharpie on the black leather sectional! It's called Leather CPR and you can get it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $12. You simply apply it with a clean sponge. I did have to scrub it with the coarse side "lightly" where the marker was. However, to do the entire 7 seat sectional, it took me about 45 min. to condition it. So not only did I get the marker out, but the couches look brand new! And unlike the other postings, I have posted the before picture (in the blog below this one) and an after picture here. I hope this has helped.

But word of advice before trying anything on your furniture, you should "always" try it on a small piece of the couch, like the bottom or somewhere you wouldn't notice if it messes it up. (10/11/2010)

By Brandy Stubblefield

RE: Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

How do I remove marker from a leather couch?

By Agpoon from Wichita, KS

Answers:

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

Shaving cream, without menthol. I've used it on old saddles, ball gloves, and belts. It's simply wonderful. If the leather is old and stiff put it on, let set over night, then add some fresh while rubbing it all off. Feels like new. (08/14/2009)

By Penny Custar

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

Lighter fluid will remove markers. I have used it on leather shoes and clothes. Keep FLAMES AWAY TILL DRY. Put some on a paper towel and blot the marker off. (08/14/2009)

By Ross

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

The Casite Company has a line of QuickWorks products; that is only available online; but they have a leather cleaning product that works pretty well for these stains. I've also heard that they are working on a new product called Ink Gone or something like that; designed specifically to remove Sharpie/permanent marker, it's supposed to be available by the end of October. They also have a Satisfaction Guarantee. Which in these situations is really helpful. (10/02/2009)

By Wendy

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch

I have had a dark brown leather (untreated) living room set for just under a week and my daughter got at the Chesterfield with a dark blue Sharpie. After reading many posts on this forum I decided to try Off Kids Skintastic bug spray. After trying it on the bottom of the couch I was satisfied that it would not ruin the leather. Immediately after spraying it on the effected area I could see the difference. The color started to wash away easily. For larger marks I had to spray twice, but it all came off. It's amazing, I can't even tell it was there.

Before you try any home remedies, always test in an inconspicuous area. You never know what could happen. Most things can be washed out even though it says permanent. (11/04/2009)

By Jeff

My 18 month old daughter recently got a hold of a brown Sharpie permanent marker. She wrote all over our new Italian leather couch.

My daughter recently marked on my friends leather couch with a sharpie permanent marker! How in the world can I get that out? Please help!

Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherAugust 23, 2012
📓
🌻
🎂