Cleaning Stains on a Leather Jacket

Category Leather
While rugged and durable, leather clothing such as a jacket can still be stained by various substances. This is a guide about cleaning stains on a leather jacket.

Removing paint stains on a leather jacket needs to be done properly so as not to damage the leather and its finish. This is a guide about how to clean paint stains on a leather jacket.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a senior jacket that has leather sleeves. I work in a powdered metal factory and the leather now has stains on it and I have no idea how to get it off. Can I do something at home or do I have to find a dry cleaners?

Answers

This is a tough one. I would brush it with a fine brush, then rinse with clear water. Then I would cycle through the various stain removers which do not harm leather. Talc or chalk might bond with the powdered metal and remove some of it. A light acid - dilute vinegar, for instance - might work if brushed on and quickly removed and rinsed and the leather polished immediately.

I would be inclined to take it slowly, and not try to remove it all at once.

I have had great luck in the past with WD 40. Test in a small area on a piece of soft cloth, follow with a soap and water mistened cloth.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem? My camel leather jacket has a beige color, was hanging in my closet for several months, and one day when I took it out I noticed little red spots on it. I don't know where they came from, but I dry washed it and the spots are not coming off. It was hanging together with the rest of my clothes inside the closet and only this jacket has those tiny red spots. Anyone any help on this how to remove them? Thank you.

Answers

If it is actual leather, you may need to take it to a leather cleaner or a shoe repair. the have special leather cleaners that they use and also dyes that can cover spots that won't wash off.

You may have had the red dye transfer because of heat or moisture. You may have to dye your jacket a darker color to cover the red. Take it to a shoe repair shop. They will know what to do.

How do you clean tree sap off of a leather jacket?

Lisa Helms from Rock Hill SC

Answers

Tree sap is a hard stain for leather. if it is a finished leather(nappa) any chemical you can use to get out the sap would be too harsh for the finish. If it is a jacket you care about send it to a good leather cleaner. You could also ask your regular dry cleaner what he would advise.

Please suggest me on my brown leather jacket the their is a silk material colour on the left side and how to rid out of it????

I have a leather jacket that has got Mt. Dew spilled on it. How can I safely clean it? Possibly a home remedy?

Krystal from KY

Answers

Try saddle soap, found at a tack store, western store or you may have to have it professionally dry cleaned.

I had a similar stain and looked everywhere for help. What I found worked the best is Baking Soda. I laid the jacket flat and put a spoonful of the baking soda on the spot, rubbed it in and let it sit for a couple of hours. I brushed it off and the stain was a lot less noticeable. So I did it two more times and the stain is almost gone! One or two more treatments and it should be completely gone! Give is a try

How do I remove a grease stain from a leather jacket?

By Jacqui from England, Bristol

Answers

Try putting a thick layer of baby powder on the stain, letting it sit for 2-3 days, and then brushing off. Repeat if needed. This procedure removed a salad dressing stain from a suede skirt for me. Might work for you. If the powder does not all brush off, tumble the jacket in the clothes dryer on the lowest heat or air dry setting, and it will come off.

I spilled beer all over my white leather jacket. Any suggestions on how I can get the stains out? Would dry cleaning it even do anything?

Matilda

Answers

If it's ruined now, regardless, I'd use a very mild solution of (don't gag!) your own urine, if clear and not dark in color, since your jacket is white,(all leather is tanned with horse urine, I was told by a leather furniture dealership!) along with a small amount of creme perioxide from Beauty Supply, on a terry rag and rub into the stain GENTLY FIRST.

Let the sun help you out for about one hour until stain is dry. Afterwards, I'd use tiny amount of coconut oil(LouAna brand from Walmart) and rub into the area to keep it supple, IF stain is out, otherwise, don't add the fine oil at all.

If no luck, I'd button/zip it up, put it into a cotton laundry bag, safety pin the opening very well, then try the Dryel type of home dry cleaning cloths, using double what it suggests for one load. When through, immediately take it out and pull it into shape if wrinkled, hang the stain side in the sun. What do you have to lose? If it were mine, this is what I'd do. God bless and help you. : )

I have an oil stain on a leather jacket and I tried to remove it with water and soap, but it's still there. It looks like the stain area is a darker color. Please help me. I really love this jacket.

By Ely M