Persian Cat Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
These long haired beauties are an old breed, originating in the middle east. This is a page about Persian cat breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Persian is perhaps the best-known and most easily recognized of the cat breeds today. In appearance, it is a medium-sized cat with a short, compact body, deep chest, muscular shoulders, short, strong legs, and a short powerful neck. The Persian's head is massive and round with small ears, large, expressive eyes and a short snub nose. The cat's coat is dense and long, forming a full mane and a bushy tail.

History & Origin: This breed is thought to descend from the Angora cats of Turkey that were brought back to Europe by sailors and merchants and eventually crossed with other breeds to create a heavier build and longer, thicker coat.

Character & Temperament: This breed is one of the most well-mannered and quiet. It makes an excellent companion because it loves attention. When you pick up a Persian to hug it, it may wrap its paws around your neck, while purring and nudging you with affection. Most Persians are quiet and although appreciate having another feline companion, cope well with being left alone. Generally good-natured and friendly, this breed slow to show anger and is good around children.

Color: Persians come in all manner of colors and patterns. In the U.S., colors are split into several different categories for show purposes: solid colors, shaded colors, smokes, tabby patterns, paricolors and point-restricted colors.

Coat Type: Long, flowing and very full.

Grooming: This breed is not for someone who does not have time to commit to grooming. Persians need daily combing to keep their long coats free of mats and tangles. They should be bathed every few months. Due to watering eyes, their faces need to be cleaned and wiped of stains daily. Claws should be trimmed and ears cleaned when necessary. Health Considerations: White cats are prone to deafness; Persians are also prone to breathing problems and clogged tear ducts.

Trivia: The Persian has the longest and thickest coat of all domestic cats.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Videos

Neo is 3 years old and a Persian. We got her at a cat show in 2005. Here's a video of what she likes to do for fun.

By michelle408 from San Jose, CA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Fleur is 5 months old and a Persian. My friend's husband read about her in a newspaper and was so nice to bring her up 5 hours in the car from the Metro Detroit area.

Comment Like this photo? 20

Finn is a one and a half year old Persian. A friend of my son's had a litter and Finn was the runt! Finn likes to run and skid, be chased, play with our other cat who detests her (so it is not really play), jump in buckets, baskets, cans, or anything she fits into. Finn likes to sleep in odd places!

By Carol Young from Landisville, PA

Finn (Persian)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Your Pet's Age
16 months

Your Pet's Breed
Persian

How and when did you get your pet?
From friend of my husband (he works with).
June 2012

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Play with her toys and jump up in the windows in our bedroom and her room.
Get into my clothes dryer.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Sophie loves to pose for the camera.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

My aunt had two Persians who happened to have a litter of kitties at our house a number of years ago. We kept two - Opus (here shown), and Amber.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

I got him 2 years ago from a breeder. I usually only get rescue animals, but Bradley was a special case. His breeder was trying to breed a specific color of Persian, white fur with silver tips.

Bradley was a dud and the breeder obviously didn't like him. He kept him locked in a room by himself and wouldn't let him around the other kitties.

Bradley (Persian) - very fluffy white Persian cat

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Chloe is a 3.5 month old Persian. I bought her from local breeder. She enjoys playing with her doll, threads, chicken, and fur.

Chloe the Persian

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

W.h.i.s.p.e.r. is a sweet stray, approx. 4 yrs old. She looks like a pure Persian according to vet.

She adopted us. Stopped at our door and was in desperate need of care. She found the right home : )

W.h.i.s.p.e.r. (Persian Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

This if Fluffy, our beautiful persian! She showed up on our doorstep one day and captured our hearts immediately! When we first got her, she was skinny and so sad looking.

Fluffy (Persian)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Layla is an 8 week old Persian. I am a breeder and she is one of our kittens. She loves to run about and have her picture taken.

Layla (Persian)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Charcoal is a 7 yr. old Persian Cat. He was born and lived on the back porch at my Grandma's house and my Mother told me to pick one of the kittens out and take home for my birthday present that year. So, I picked Charcoal and was able to get him because he was too little to run very fast.

Charcoal (Persian Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Kozmo is a 4 year old Pure Bred Persian cat. A friend got him for me 3 years ago.

Kozmo (Persian Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Amber is a 15 year old Persian. My sister brought her from Spain Layabout. She likes to sit on my lap and sleep. She is a queen and she knows it. She hates to be left behind. When packing for a trip we must be careful not to let on.

Cat sitting in a suitcase.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Pets Cats Cat BreedsApril 5, 2013
😷
📓
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Persian-Cat-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html