Cat Peeing in the Same Place

Category Cats
Cats can certainly be creatures of habit. If your cat is peeing someplace you don't want them to, it would be best to stop them from peeing there as soon as possible. This is a page about cat peeing in the same place.

My kitten pees in the same 3 spots in the house outside her box. I am using enzyme cleaner. Any ideas as to why?

Answers

Has she been checked for urinary/kidney problems? With a health issue comes urgency and they tend to return to the same spots to relieve themselves.

If she gets a clean bill of health, you may want to put a second litter box out in one of these other spaces and see if that resolves the issues. I know from the cats I sit for, sometimes they just like variety and many have several boxes around the house to accommodate this need.

Post back what you learn! Prayers for the fur baby!

The litter may be hurting her paws. Switch to a softer litter, and put more litter boxes around your house.

Sadly as we all know this is a common problem. I have a checklist to eliminate common causes of kitties that go outside the litterbox. First make sure the cat does not have a urinary tract infection. This means a trip to the Vet or at least a urine sample to the Vet. Make sure your cat has a litterbox she likes in a safe private place. Two boxes is better. Try a couple different styles of boxes many cats do not like covered boxes.

Try a couple different types of litter. Make sure it stays clean. Eliminate what household stress you can. Noise, aggressive pets, too much handling. Make sue she has a place to get away from it all. Preferably up high where she has a bed (a cat tree works well). There is a litter for kittens called Dr. Elseys Kitten Attract. It has worked well for me. Kittens seem to love it. I think you can get it from Chewy.

My family has 2 indoor/outdoor cats who are trained to use a litter box and are several years old. The younger of the two is a 6 year old cat that we found as a kitten and was mostly feral. She has been litter trained and used to go outside more often than she does now, however she has started to pee on towels that are specifically on the bathroom floor in one specific bathroom (we have 2 bathrooms in our house). Even though she knows where the litter box is, in the other bathroom.

She refuses to push the door to the master bedroom to get to the master bathroom (where the litterbox is) no matter how wide the crack in the door is. She also doesn't pee on anything in the master bathroom, just towels on the floor of the other bathroom.

Today there was an incident where she meowed only a few times, not asking for the outside door or help with the other door, just going straight for the towel in the one bathroom.

I'm sure this forum is dead, but I'm hoping for a little insight, because it's hard with animals, I'm already taking care of twin toddlers, and if this cat really is sick we can't do much about it. Our money is so far stretched out it's hard when one of the humans is sick, let alone our poor animals.

This cat in specifics; Momo, has become very used to the inside of the house, despite wanting to go outside from time to time. Now she over eats (a problem we have because we try to let them graze/come eat and go as they please) and hardly goes outside. It seems like a fight to get her to leave sometimes. She ends up magically back in the house after a few minutes (doublewide mobile, probably comes in from under the house). She's gained weight just by laying around and eating more than her share of food. Could this be warning signs to something bigger that's causing her to pee on the specific towel in specific place?

I feel like this is so unheard of, especially since cats tend to just go wherever when they decide they're gonna start peeing on things.
Thanks for any help I receive in the future.
Thanks again!

Answers

Make sure you clean those towels with and enzyme based cleaner to remove the scent. Clean the floor too. Then try a new kind of litter, as they might not like the one you are using.

I dont know what it is about laundry left on the floor. Cats just seem so drawn to it. It's their favorite target. Pick up the towels (and all other laundry on the floor) and your problem may be solved. It doesnt sound to me like your cat has any problems other than she is getting older.

She will want to be outside less and she may gain some weight. She may need a litter box closer to where she likes to hang out. That is all pretty normal. It is good of you to worry about your pets when you have a lot of responsibility. Good luck to you.

We have an older indoor cat. She usually uses the litter box. She seems to keep peeing in the same area on a rug in the dining room. I keep smelling that urine odor and have to treat that carpet area. Any ideas on how to break her of peeing there?

By ANNETTE from Cocoa Beach, FL

Answers

You probably still have cat urine in the carpet or the underpadding that isn't coming out. Cat urine is strong and the odor lingers too.

I had a cat that was peeing outside the box. I found a cat litter called "Attract", you can get it at pet stores, comes in a red bag, a little pricey, but it did the trick. The cat never peed outside the box again. I also used Walmart's "Out" products (in the pet department) for getting rid of the smell. So far so good.

Hope this helps.

I have a big problem. In the past I had cats and they urinated on the carpet. Now we have 2 kittens and they are going to those spots and using the bathroom. Does anyone know how to stop them? How to get the smell out? My son plays on the floor. He doesn't play where it is, but I still can't stand him doing so until I can get the smell out.

By starmidnite710 from Mobile, AL

Feedback:

Cat Peeing In The Same Place

You might also, after cleaning it well, place the litter box in this area to help train them.

You can move it later, after they learn. (06/18/2010)

By dede smith

How do you stop cats from peeing on the carpet?

Nicole41819 from West Milford, NJ

Answers:

Cat peeing in the same place.

My cat was doing the same thing. I took him to the vet and he had a bladder infection and was constipated. The vet put him on antibiotics and CatLax for the other problem. It really did the trick. I give him the CatLax (which is very inexpensive) 2-3 times a week for preventative purposes. (02/07/2005)

By Cathy Wozniak

Cat peeing in the same place.

Regardless of the reason, (or the sixth sense!), once the smell is there she will return to the same spot. You either have to remove the smell completely or make the spot so repellent she won't go back there. Enzyme type detergent may help remove traces of the urine or some sort of preparation from the vet is often mentioned by the US contributors.

I feel if this was a health problem there would be more peeing indoors rather than the one spot, (but I'm not a vet!). Is she otherwise well? Can you pinpoint the time she first used the spot? Was she locked in? Was the litter tray dirty? If so its almost certainly behavioral rather than ill health. If behavioral you need to make this spot unattractive, firstly by removing as much smell as possible but, as their sense of smell is so sensitive, this may not work.

The area can be made unattractive by sprinkling a bit of dried pepper there. Her fine sense of smell will make her avoid the area before she actually "gets a nose full" so to speak. Another method is to watch her until you catch her "in the act" and then spray her with a short sharp burst from a water pistol. This won't hurt her, but she will get a fright which she remembers when she goes near the spot again. You must do it at the exact time she is having a wee though so the connection is made.

Regards.

(02/07/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Cat Peeing In The Same Place

You really need to use a product especially made to take away the urine smell, water and soap will not do it. Actually, often soap makes it worst (same for the bed).

Now, once you have used the product, I would also put something on the actual spot she uses, either sticking paper (like the one used to cover books) or pepper, or something she likes to sleep on. Like paper (if the case) or a plastic bag. Anything to take her mind off of the fact that she/he pees there.

But first and foremost you "need" to get a pee analysis from the vet, that will tell you if she/he has an infection, and yes, some cats with infection will pee in the same spot over and over again.

For anyone's whose cat is using a place or something to do their clawing, just cover that area with sticky paper, like I stated above, no cat will do their claws on this. It will look kind of weird for awhile, but then it should be okay. There is also some kind of repellent product, but I've never used them.

If none of this works, try speaking to your vet, they might have good ideas.

Let us know how this turns out.
(08/06/2007)

By NeeNoon

Cat Peeing In The Same Place

You can also put a sheet of aluminum foil on the floor in the spot. Cats don't like to pee on aluminum foil. It's shiny and noisy. Maybe her reflection in the foil would shame her into putting her pee in the box! (07/23/2008)

By Kristin

Cat Peeing In The Same Place

I know this sound strange, but Oxiclean really works! It will cut the smell. Mix it in warm water and saturate the rug/floor, wait a while (couple of hours) then soak it up with paper towels, you can throw away. For older cats, look at the back claws, sometimes they will be thick. This is a sign of hyperthyroidism in older cats, if so don't get pills from the vet, get "cream" in a tube and put it on the inside of the ear (watch to not get on your hands, use a glove). (11/18/2008)

By Cindy

Cat Peeing In The Same Place

Cats do not like peeing on newspaper. My cat use to pee on my carpet, in the same spot under my end table in my living room. I had the carpet cleaned then I spread news paper on that area. I then focused on keeping the litter box extra clean because they hate a smelly box. The newspaper, not a good look, but she went back to using her litter box. (11/22/2009)

By selina nurse

Pets CatsJuly 27, 2017
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-08 18:24:12 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️