Cat Peeing in the House

I have had my cat for 3 years, nevered peed before and now he pees only in the kids room where he sleeps. The cat is fixed. What do i do?

Robert

Answers

I would suggest moving the litterbox to that location

By glomax56 (Guest Post)

Animals will often urinate indoors to change the scent of the location to a scent they like (their own) and are familiar with. Have you by any chance changed the cleaning products you use in the kids room recently? If not, you might try pouring some straight vinegar on the area. Cats don't like the strong smell and will generally leave that area alone.

By Connie (Guest Post)

I also had this problem my cats decided after an unfixed male joined the group they no longer could use the litter.
I washed the area they were using as an alternate box with Pine-sol and also shut them in a room with box eventually got the hint to go back to box.

Are the litter boxes kept clean?

By Nancy Shelburne (Guest Post)

Male cats who only receive dry cat food will develope urine problems. Peeing on the floor or carpet is their way of telling you they are ill.

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)

How to put this delicately... How old is the child, do the perhaps wet the bed? If so, the cat may be smelling it & trying to "Overwrite" the smell.
They are Marking creatures.
I mean no offense , I have a leakage problem myself & have wondered if that is why some of mine have targetted me. It is just a theory.

No one wants a litter box in their kid's room.

As the owner of four cats, and 8 more in the past, I thought I may have some knowledge that will help.

My first thought, since you said he is a nuetered male, is Feline Urilogical Syndrome. This is where too much magnesium in the diet causes the urine to form crystals and causes painful urination for the cat. It mainly happens in nuetered males and the first symptom is they stop using their litter box. Cat's are fastidiously clean and when they are sick, they like to be even cleaner. So, since their penis hurts, they do not want to go to the bathroom in a litter box, which usually has some residual waste already in it. So they see it as "dirty".

But before assuming this is your cat's problem, you need to ask yourself:

+ Have I changed the brand of litter I am using?
+ Have I changed where the litter box is located?
+ Have I added or subtracted anything to his litter (like baking soda, etc) ?
+ Is there a new cat in the house, even one just visiting (or was there just before the problem started)?
+ Have I changed the floor cleaner I use in the room where the litter box is?
+ Have I changed the litter box itself?
+ Have I changed his food?
+ Have I been cleaning the litter box more or less often then usual?
+ Have I added or taken away a mat/carpet in front of the litter box?
+ Do I feed him a low-magnesium food or a food meant for a cat's urinary health?

If your answer to any of these questions is YES (except the last one), you have a behavioral problem on your hands. And that is a good thing. Whatever you have changed, go back to the original. He must prefer it and is trying to tell you that. Remember, out in the wild, animals comminicate through urine. That is what he is trying to do with you. Unfortunately your sniffer isn't sensitive enough to get the message. So you have to use you brain to figure out his message.

The next thing I would do, is clean the area he has been marking with a enzymatic cleaner. They use enymes to break down the urine. Ask at your pet store or look around the web. Shop around for the most recommended. It may be a bit pricey, but get what people say works. There are many on the market that are crap.

For any residual smells, Fabreze Deep Clean works great.

Next, stop letting him have acess to your children's room. At all. At least until things are back to normal. The kid's may whine. But explain that he is being punished and they will have to understand. Keep the door closed during the day. And at night, if they can't sleep with the door closed, try a baby gate. Though he may be able to jump over that. I'm not sure what advice to give you. But keep him out so he gets the message. And PLEASE don't put another litter box in there! That gives him the message that it is OK to pee in there (as long as he does it in the box) and then you will never be able to take the box away, or he will start peeing on the floor again.

Sometimes cats decide they like a new place to pee. Either to act out and tell you they are angry or because ??? Who knows? They are cats! But cats can be trained! Don't give in to him!

He may be telling you that he wants his litter box kept cleaner. Sometimes males decide to boycott because they get choosey about the state of the cleanliness of the litter box. A great, easy way to keep it clean is to use scoopable litter (if he can tolerate it, some cats can't) and keep a bucket with a top (I got mine from the grocery bakery for 50 cents) and a garbage bag inside it next to the box and scoop it every day or even every time you go in the bathroom. Very easy and makes your litter last longer.

If your answer to ALL of those questions was NO, then you need to take him to the vet and tell him you answered no to all of those questions and tell the vet what he has been doing.

The sooner you get him to the vet, the better. The next stage of the disease, is the crystals all build up and block the flow of urine. He won't be able to pee.

If the disease isn't treated early on, the only treatment is a surgery that removes his penis (and isn't always sucessful and is expensive) or putting him to sleep.

I don't mean to scare you. I am NOT saying this is what he has. But it is nothing to fool around with. When I was a young cat owner with my first cat, I ran into the very same problem, and didn't take him to the vet on time because I thought it was a behavioral problem, not a health problem. I ended up putting him to sleep. He was 3 years old as well.

Good Luck.

Heather

By Kim (Guest Post)

Just a comment on a past comment...dry food alone does not create urinary problems in male cats. It is something that is caused by several factors, diet included, but not alone. It is a myth that cats need wet food. They will drink plenty of water on their own. I was a veterinary technician for 2 years and I am sure of this. Cats who are fed primarily wet food will develop more dental problems, something that CAN be avoided with dry food. They also make special urinary health dry foods now that will help your pet to not develop urinary problems, but be aware, these diets will make your cat urinate MORE often. It changes the chemistry in their kidneys to flush things out better.

By AT (Guest Post)

I also have this problem.

We have a 5 year old neutered female cat and she has started to pee in our children's rooms. First, she would pee on blankets, and now she is being on the carpet and on the kid's beds.

Is the cat somehow jealous of the kids?

Thank you,
Soon to be dog owner!

By Cat Breeder (Guest Post)

Connie - PINE SOL IS HARFUL TO CATS!!!!!!! It causes liver and kidney damage, and if they get fumes near them, can cause resp. problems.
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER USE ANYTHING PINE SOL OR LYSOL IN A HOME WITH Cats.

By Fay (Guest Post)

My cat had this problem just over a year ago, where she was peeing at the back door (she is an indoor cat). I tried everything but in the end I bought some "eswcue remedy" which is good for acute stress and it worked.

9 More Questions

I have a cat who is less than five years old. He was adopted and pretty much since I brought him home he has urinated in different places in my home. I have 2 other cats and 5 litter boxes. He uses the boxes and also pees on multiple surfaces including clothes, upholstered furniture, plastic, and also on my dining room table that had been set.

He has been checked by the vet and has not had any UTIs. I am at my wits end.

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like you have been very patient with your pet but maybe you have been using an ineffective cleaner so your pet just keeps returning to whatever spots he has created.

• You have 5 litter boxes so that certainly sounds sufficient for your pets.
  • You did not say if there was a problem with any of your other cats but it seems this particular one is the main problem.
  • I do not know what type of cleaner you are using but a very good enzyme cleaner is about the only thing that will remove pet urine "smell" and it has to be applied properly or even it will not work.
  • A good enzyme cleaner can be used all over the house instead of other cleaners so it is not just for pet accidents.
  • Even if you are using an enzyme cleaner, please read some of the information on the following links as to how to use it for the best results.
  • One very important fact: enzyme cleaner should not be wiped away but must air dry.
  • catcentric.org/.../
  • www.greenhome.com/.../a-guide-to-enzyme-cleaners
  • I hope something works for you so you can just enjoy having so many lovable pets.

Here are instructions on how to make your own enzyme cleaners.

www.wikihow.com/Make-Enzyme-Cleaner

Answer this Question

My friend has a cat that she adopted from another family. The cat is about 3 years old and has been with her for about 6 months or so. Kitty has been urinating on her bed and almost everywhere in her apartment.

The vet said she has crystals in her urine and needed to be on special food and medication, which she is. She has spent almost $400.00 on vet visits hoping for some help, but she is still doing the same thing after months.

My friend is about to give up and has contacted a no kill shelter. For now, the poor kitty is locked in her bathroom with food, water, and litter box. If she is out she will go on the bed, bedspread, rug, etc. and the clean up is almost impossible.

Can anyone offer any help? She does not want to give her up, but cannot deal with this day after day.

PS- the kitty is beautiful and very sweet. Any help would be so appreciated.

By Phyllis from NY

This is a page about keeping cats from peeing on floor. When a cat pees outside of their litter box determining the reason is the first step to resolving the problem.

Orange tabby cat on wooden floor looking up

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about keeping cats from peeing on a bed. Having a cat that chooses to pee on the bed rather than in the litterbox is very frustrating and baffling.

Cat on a white bed with a window in the background

This is a page about preventing your cat from peeing in the kitchen. When your cat decides to relieve itself in the wrong place, it can be a challenge to train them otherwise.

Cat walking on a kitchen counter.

This is a page about cat peeing outside litter box. If your litterbox trained kitty suddenly begins peeing outside the box, it is cause for concern and possibly frustration.

Litter Box

This page is about cat peeing on clothing. Sometimes cats choose places to relieve themselves that are not outside or the cat box.

Cat getting into a laundry basket.

This page is about keeping cats from peeing on furniture. Sometimes a cat chooses a place to relieve itself that is not where you want.

Cat peeking over the arm of a purple colored couch.

Why does my new cat (male) pee every where in the house. I have two other cats, but they don't do this.

Pets CatsJune 20, 2016
🍂
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cat-Peeing-in-the-House.html