Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen

Category Cats
Cat walking on a kitchen counter.
This is a guide about preventing your cat from peeing in the kitchen. When your cat decides to relieve itself in the wrong place, it can be a challenge to train them otherwise.

If your cat is peeing on your counter, you will want to prevent it from doing this any more as soon as possible. This is a guide about cat peeing on countertops.

Cat on Countertop

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I got a 2 year male cat around a week ago. He was spraying everywhere so I got him neutered. He's seems to have stop spraying, but is peeing on my kitchen counter. He is a very timid cat and most of the time is hiding behind my couch. I have got the Feliway diffuser and spray and I have used vinager on my kitchen bunkers to prevent him peeing, but he still is. Anyone got any other ideas on how I can stop this?

Answers

Especially male cats - neutered or not - will mark their 'territory' by spraying. Whether or not there may be a female nearby may also be a factor. So, if you can make a particular area, in your home, and if that area is a large cage, the spraying may decrease.

Currently we have a longhair tortoise-shell female (spayed) cat. Which cat really belongs with a baseball player. From sitting position she will spring straight up to the hall ceiling to catch the ball. She also catches the ball on the rebound and returns it at our feet. FUN ! BTW, the hallway is 10 feet long.

From what I have read, a cat who voids on the kitchen counter wants you to see it. Your cat may have a urinary tract infection. This may be his way of communication. I would call the vet.

He had just been to vets and been checked and neautured, thanks though

He is nervous about his new territory and marking it.

The higher up he is the safer he'll feel. I cleaned out the cabinet above the fridge, put a small blanket in it and leave one door open, the door next to the wall. I suggest you do this.

Get him also a very tall cat tree with a bed area or cubby at the top, not the bottom.

Fix low areas like the bottom off the sofa somehow so he can't get in, even if you have to store something big under there. The idea is to drive him up high. Cats who hide "under" lack confidence. A cat that can survey its surroundings will generally be at ease.

This is a sign of insecurity. By making sure that there are no animals threatening his territory, and by providing lots of high places to perch, he should become OK. Check out Jackson Galaxy's ideas on 'catifying' your living space.

How do you keep a cat from peeing on your stove?

Answers

If your cat is peeing on your stove, something is wrong.

How many cats do you have? Do they get along? Stress may cause this behavior.

Does your cat have access to the whole house, or do you try to keep her confined to the kitchen area? Cats can't be kept confined.

Do you have a litterbox for each cat? Can they get to the litterbox without being "ambushed" by a dog or another cat? Do you scoop it twice a day?

Finally, is the cat spayed or neutered?

Something is wrong with the cat, and more information is needed to figure it out.

If none of these seem like the problem, it's possible the cat has a urinary tract infection.

Anonymous

I have the same problem and do have a lot of cats - not by choice - just because of neighborhood people. Can I have 5 cat litter boxes as 5 are in and out cats and 3 are out only cats. The also have a cat door. Seems like he may need to go to the great beyond. All my 8 cats are spayed/neutered.

You sound like me. I too have a lot of cats due to careless neighbors who dump or abandon them. All of mine are also spayed/neutered, and I have one male who keeps urinating everywhere, including the kitchen. He also urinates and defecates in their food bowls. I don't know what to do. I'm ready to take him to the animal shelter. I can't take it anymore.

All of a sudden my female cat that turns 1 yr this mo has decided to start peeing on our stove and and occasionally on our kitchen table. It's not all the time and it's not just a dribble, it's a huge puddle. I've taken her to the litter box after pointing out what she did was bad. She still continues to do it. She only does it at night when we're sleeping. I've had her since late May of 2015 and she just started this about 2 wks ago. She's not spayed yet BTW. Also nothing has changed to make her do this. Please any advice would be appreciated.

Get her spayed ASAP. I had a cat who peed in the toaster - stopped after she was spayed. We never did work out why she did that, btw. She killed three toasters before I smartened up and asked the vet about it. He said 'Spay her NOW', we did, and she went on to live another 20 years.

Well, actually a lot has changed. She is sexually mature, and that changes everything. Other cats outside have new meaning, and she is dealing with a lot of new feelings and urges. You need to have her checked out by your Vet for the usual, bladder infections etc. but I think spaying her will help a lot.