Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen

Category Cats
This is a guide about preventing your cat from peeing in the kitchen. When your cat decides to relieve itself in the wrong place, it can be a challenge to train them otherwise.

If your cat is peeing on your counter, you will want to prevent it from doing this any more as soon as possible. This is a guide about cat peeing on countertops.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I got a 2 year male cat around a week ago. He was spraying everywhere so I got him neutered. He's seems to have stop spraying, but is peeing on my kitchen counter. He is a very timid cat and most of the time is hiding behind my couch.

I have got the Feliway diffuser and spray and I have used vinager on my kitchen bunkers to prevent him peeing, but he still is. Anyone got any other ideas on how I can stop this?

Answers

Especially male cats - neutered or not - will mark their 'territory' by spraying. Whether or not there may be a female nearby may also be a factor. So, if you can make a particular area, in your home, and if that area is a large cage, the spraying may decrease.

Currently we have a longhair tortoise-shell female (spayed) cat. Which cat really belongs with a baseball player. From sitting position she will spring straight up to the hall ceiling to catch the ball. She also catches the ball on the rebound and returns it at our feet. FUN ! BTW, the hallway is 10 feet long.

From what I have read, a cat who voids on the kitchen counter wants you to see it. Your cat may have a urinary tract infection. This may be his way of communication. I would call the vet.

He had just been to vets and been checked and neautured, thanks though

He is nervous about his new territory and marking it.
The higher up he is the safer he'll feel. I cleaned out the cabinet above the fridge, put a small blanket in it and leave one door open, the door next to the wall. I suggest you do this.

Get him also a very tall cat tree with a bed area or cubby at the top, not the bottom.
Fix low areas like the bottom off the sofa somehow so he can't get in, even if you have to store something big under there. The idea is to drive him up high. Cats who hide "under" lack confidence. A cat that can survey its surroundings will generally be at ease.

This is a sign of insecurity. By making sure that there are no animals threatening his territory, and by providing lots of high places to perch, he should become OK. Check out Jackson Galaxy's ideas on 'catifying' your living space.

Our 6 year old neutered male cat has been crazy the past couple weeks! He has started peeing on the stove and counters during the night. He pooped on the kitchen table and hides on top of cabinets. He is also currently under treatment for fleas.

He constantly meows and cries and is only happy when on hubby's shoulders. The only other change is the dog and 2 other cats moved out to live with our adult child. We thought he'd be less stressed. Help!

Answers

When a cat pees and poops in a home you need to determine the reason why. Here are some steps to take to find out the reason your cat is doing this now.

Step 1
Find out if it is a medical reason. The cat could have bladder stones, blockage, urinary track infection or feline interstitial cystitis. You will need to visit a vet if you suspect this to be the problems.

Step 2
Determine what the behavior problem or reason is. If you recently moved, a new person now lives in your home, a new pet, a new cat. Or any other changes in the environment that are negative can affect the cat.

Step 3
If the cat is peeing in one spot they will keep returning to this spot because it smell like the place they have peed before or gotten in the habit of peeing. If they can still smell the scent of their urine there they will go back there and pee again.

Step 4
Your cat feels the need to claim or reclaim their territory.

Step 5
If the cat starts peeing in the house youll need to consider their litter box.

Step 6
Is your cat unhappy with their litter box?

Step 7
Have you moved their litter box?

Step 8
Does the cat have access to the litter box?

Step 9
Did you place the litter box in a cramped area?

Step 10
Does your cat feel like it will be trapped where the litter box is placed?

Step 11
Does the litter box offer your cat privacy?

Step 12
Does your cat have a negative association to their litter box?

Step 13
Does your cat prefer to pee on certain surfaces or materials?

Step 14

Once you determine the reason your cat is peeing outside of the box you need to change your cats behavior. First off, clean all surfaces with enzymatic cleansers. Cover these areas with foil or plastic for several weeks, so the cat cant go back there and use them again.

It could be from the flea treatment and the stress from the fleas. I'd see if it goes away after the flea treatment. Otherwise it could be an internal infection on the bladder or so.

Cat peeing and pooping in the house.

Sounds like he may miss the other animals. The cat should be checked for a health problem.Maybe he associates the litter box with pain or he cannot make it in time.

Scoop the litter box twice a day. Don't use scented litter some cats are sensitive and do not like it. Cats are creatures of habit. Abrubt changes can make the cat go outside the litter box. Use an enzymatic cleaner such as Petastic or Anti-icky poo on these sites so that the faint whiff of past deeds no longer entices your cat to pee or poop in that area.

Try using a cat repellent in the areas you don't want him in. Try moving the litter box and changing brands of cat litter.

Cats do not like change and the other animals moving out is a super big change for him.

• There are several things you might try but this may be a long drawn out process.
  • Be sure that any place he has used is really clean - usually a vinegar and water (one part white vinegar to 5 or 6 parts water) will usually take the smell/odor away.
  • Is the flea medicine from the vet? If so, it should be helping him, if not then it may not be controlling the fleas.

Since this is happening mostly at night, I would suggest placing him and his litter box in confined area; laundry room, bathroom or anywhere convenient until the areas are clean where he has been going.

Hopefully, a few confined nights and the cycle will be broken and he will continue to use his litter box.

There is a product called Rescue Remedy that really helps in situations like this as it has a calming effect (very safe) and might help him get over this big change in his life. Rescue Remedy is sold at all pet stores and on-line.

How do you keep a cat from peeing on your stove?

Answers

If your cat is peeing on your stove, something is wrong.

How many cats do you have? Do they get along? Stress may cause this behavior.

Does your cat have access to the whole house, or do you try to keep her confined to the kitchen area? Cats can't be kept confined.

Do you have a litterbox for each cat? Can they get to the litterbox without being "ambushed" by a dog or another cat? Do you scoop it twice a day?

Finally, is the cat spayed or neutered?
Something is wrong with the cat, and more information is needed to figure it out.

If none of these seem like the problem, it's possible the cat has a urinary tract infection.

Anonymous

I have the same problem and do have a lot of cats - not by choice - just because of neighborhood people. Can I have 5 cat litter boxes as 5 are in and out cats and 3 are out only cats. The also have a cat door. Seems like he may need to go to the great beyond. All my 8 cats are spayed/neutered.

You sound like me. I too have a lot of cats due to careless neighbors who dump or abandon them. All of mine are also spayed/neutered, and I have one male who keeps urinating everywhere, including the kitchen. He also urinates and defecates in their food bowls. I don't know what to do. I'm ready to take him to the animal shelter. I can't take it anymore.

All of a sudden my female cat that turns 1 yr this mo has decided to start peeing on our stove and and occasionally on our kitchen table. It's not all the time and it's not just a dribble, it's a huge puddle. I've taken her to the litter box after pointing out what she did was bad. She still continues to do it. She only does it at night when we're sleeping. I've had her since late May of 2015 and she just started this about 2 wks ago. She's not spayed yet BTW. Also nothing has changed to make her do this. Please any advice would be appreciated.

Answers

Get her spayed ASAP. I had a cat who peed in the toaster - stopped after she was spayed. We never did work out why she did that, btw. She killed three toasters before I smartened up and asked the vet about it. He said 'Spay her NOW', we did, and she went on to live another 20 years.

Well, actually a lot has changed. She is sexually mature, and that changes everything. Other cats outside have new meaning, and she is dealing with a lot of new feelings and urges. You need to have her checked out by your Vet for the usual, bladder infections etc. but I think spaying her will help a lot.