Cat Peeing on Clothing

My cat seems to pee only on my dirty clothes. Any idea's on why? She is almost 2 yrs old, and her litter box is kept clean.

Please help with any ideas of how to make her go back to using her litter box. No changes in the household. Debbie

Answers

I can't help you I'm afraid, but my cat only used to pee on white organza curtains. Strange Huh? But such is feline psychology!!! hope you get it sorted out! julie

By Linda (Guest Post)

The easy way is to keep your dirty clothes picked up!

By Nancy (Guest Post)

If you don't do this already, I would suggest that maybe you keep your dirty clothes in a hamper until you are ready to wash them. Hide the temptation from the cat - she will have to go back to her litter box.

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)

Why not just buy a hamper with a lid on it? You can find some decent ones for maybe about ten dollars. Or if you are a bit off the beaten path in your taste, get a smaller sized galvanised silver trash can (even a plastic kitchen trash can for more thrifty folk) both have lids, and will keep kitty out.

Well laa dee dah! There sure seems to be a lot of judgemental, self-righteous people out there! I'll bet all of you felt so much better after responding so rudely to Debbie's post! Of course dirty laundry NEVER touches any of YOUR floors! You folks need to get a life!

Since this is unusual for your cat to do this, I would take her to the vet for a checkup. Our pets sometimes act out of character when they are not well. That is their way of "telling" us. If her health checks out I would confine her to a small room with her clean litter box. Put her food and water dishes and something to sleep on in the room also. But do not keep her dishes near her litter box. Under no circumstances let her out. We had to do this with a cat we adopted. We kept her in our bathroom for one week. You must go visit her and play with her during her time in there. Warning: she may cry and howl for awhile. Our vet told us to do this and it did work for us.

By Ihave2 (Guest Post)

Just for the record, my cat does this too. Always a clean box and clothes are usually kept out of site w/o incident. But came back from trip and left dirty clothes near suitcase and he peed on them. He used to do this prior when he could get into the basket (now kept in closet). Cannot explain it. He's very healthy, happy, structured, clean, in great environment - so I'm just as curious! There has to be something to this...

By Debby (Guest Post)

My cat or cats...we aren't sure who was doing it...liked to pee on the clothes too! Mostly towels or the kids clothes. We bought some Rubbermaid bins with LIDS...very important...we found out that they don't mind climbing in to pee either! The only problem now is that they (or one) has decided to pee ONLY on the kids toys...directly onto it...my son left his gameboy on the floor and one of them peed right on the screen...what aim I tell ya! At least the kids know to pick up the toys now! Might want to take him/her to the vet though...just in case.

By Jenn (Guest Post)

I recently adopted a second cat...a 4 year old male from the humane society. When I'd return home from work, I'd smell that foul odor only cat urine could produce! It took me a while to find the source but after a couple days I found several spots of urine on clothes that I'd leave on the floor. I gave him extra attention when I was home, and recently...about 3 weeks into his adoption, this behavior has subsided. Needless to say, my leaving cloths on the floor behavior has subsided as well! Boy did he straighten me up! Good luck everyone...

23 More Questions

How do you stop your cats from peeing on your clean and dirty clothing?

By Karri

I just brought home a 5 month old cat who isn't fixed yet. It's been two days since I brought him home and he's only used the bathroom 3 times since he's been here, once in the litter box and the other times on my bed/clothes. Earlier today is the time he used the litter box, but only because I closed him off in the bathroom while my boyfriend and I weren't home.

He just started eating this morning and because he used the litter box I thought he was making progress. Am I freaking out too soon? Is there anything I can do to speed along the process so he doesn't have to be locked in the bathroom at all times? He came from a house with a lot of animals and didn't seem to have any problems there. Please help! I've grown very attached and would hate to have to get rid of him.

My cat is 2 yrs old and has just started peeing on our clothing and our bed. Her litter pan stays clean at all times, but she insists on using our stuff to pee on. I punish her by showing her what she did wrong and then putting her in her cage for a time out. Why is that?

By Shaby from St. Louis, MO

Last year when I first adopted my cat in February, she had already had a habit of peeing on things and being stressed by my dogs just made it worse. When I finally moved out in August of 2018 it stopped all together. She was happy and loved that there were no little dogs to terrorize her. It's been over a year with no more accidents; up until last week, she hasn't peed on anything at all.

My boyfriend started leaving his dirty work clothes near her litter box (about 2-3 feet away) and every time, she has peed on them. Absolutely soaked them. She peed on his drawstring bag this morning too. I don't know where this is coming from, but I advised my boyfriend to pick his things up and to put his bag on the other side of the bed. Any other tips?

My 13 year old female cat has started peeing on my clothes on the floor, she even jumped up on to the laundry basket once, always on dirty clothes. I thought it was the sweat as we have just been through summer. She is an indoor/outdoor cat, so no litter box. I thought she was just getting old so I put the litter box in the laundry which she used then had an interrupted wee by the litter box. She was coming inside to use it.

I took her to the vet and $400 later after a blood test and a clean bill of health, I stopped putting anything on floor except for last night. There have been no additions to the family and we have not moved. In fact everything is nice and calm for the first time ever lol. We also have a BSH that is almost 7 years old and never missed a beat, no spraying or mishaps. They don't exactly love each other, but after so many years they are willing to share the bed.

She has been on a dry complete food from the vet all her life and there is a cat flap in the bedroom 2 meters away. She has also been peeing on my husband's shoes in the garage that were left on the floor and not on the rack. It's only maybe once a month or every three weeks, but once too many as far as 'm concerned.

Clean or dirty clothes, my 6 year old female cat pees on them. She never used to do this until after she had a stroke in February 2013. I've tried different litters, boxes, different locations of the box, removing access to clothes, towels, etc. The only thing I haven't done is have her checked for a UTI, but she doesn't show signs of it. She's a chatty cat by nature so her constant meowing isn't anything unusual. The only other thing I can possibly think of is I have a 16 year old male cat whose health is in decline, he's nearing the end of his life and I think maybe she's refusing to use the litter box because of him.

She avoids him, growls and hisses at him so maybe she's sensed his decline over the last 2 years and has been avoiding anything he touches. I don't know. I'm really upset because I'm already going to lose one little sweetheart to his aging, I don't want to lose another to something that I see as preventable and fixable. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

By Erin

Why does my young kitten pee on my clothes instead of her litterbox? Also, how can I stop it?

By Stephanie L from Columbia, MD

I have two 15 month old cats and about 6 months ago I noticed that if I left clothes lying in the floor the cats would pee on them. Just a few days ago when I was doing laundry I left a pile of clothes in the floor and warned my cats not to pee on them. As soon as I turned around I heard one cat scratching in the litter box and the other one peeing in the floor next to the clothes. They have always been litter buddies and I see both of them using the box. Do you think that maybe they are starting to refuse to use the same box? What do you suggest that I do? Please help!

Beverly from Arizona

Answers

By Michael (Guest Post)

I have had multiple cats in the past and everything that I have read or heard recommends having at least one litter box per cat. This is not to say that they won't use the same box, but it gives them the opportunity to use another box if they get finicky. The boxes should not be next to each other as the cats may confuse the two as one box and the problem remains.

Once that is accomplished, the area that they have peed will need to be cleaned thoroughly - a flourescent black light will help to find all of the urine areas, even old ones - cats will assume that if their urine scent is in an area, then it's okay to go there again. Also, the area should be made inhospitable for the cats, at least for a week or so while you're weaning them from the behavior. This means putting down carpet runners and the like upside down so the spikes are up - cat's don't like that stuff. Cats also typically don't like citrus, so using a citrus scented freshener in that area may help as well.

Good luck!

I had the same problem, but my problem was with the only cat in the house. He'd been using the litter box since I'd got him (about 8 months) - no problem. Then suddenly- he was peeing on clothes, and pooping in the box. Asked our vet and she said it could be that he needs fixed, or he has crystals in his pee, and that it burns him to pee, and he associated peeing with the box, so he goes elsewhere to pee- hoping that it won't hurt. You might ask your vet about the crystals. Good luck.

If they are males, it sounds like a trip to the vet. Both genders get urinary tract infections, but males get a particularly painful kind. Are they neutered? If not, that could help. Or they could be marking their territory. Whatever smells like family is theirs.

I'm wondering how other people have addressed their cat peeing on their clothes. My cat was a rescue and is very attached to me. She started marking on my clothes, clean or dirty, it doesn't matter. And even marked on my bed, anywhere she smells me. My husband's clothes are not affected.

I keep my clothes in a hamper which works, but when I happen to get any clothes on the floor even for a short period of time, she gets them. And when I fold clean clothes in the laundry room on the counter, she gets those too. She's even climbed in my closet and marked on the clothes I had folded on the shelves. Again, just mine. I'm thinking she is claiming me as hers since we did get another cat a year after we had gotten her. Is this an attachment issue? How do I break her of this?

Recently my dad got engaged, but something weird happened, her lunchbox and her bag of stuff were both peed on and she noticed the scent was very strong. I can't tell if it's my neutered male cat or my female cat. I can't punish them, they are cats. But I really wanna know who it is.

How do I keep my 17 year old calico cat named Samantha from peeing in the dog kennels and on my dirty clothes? I have 7 animals in my 864 square foot home, 3 large Labs and 4 cats. All of the animals are over 10 years old, except one dog and one cat.

I suspect she has a urinary tract infection, but she can't travel to the vet's office. She gets very car sick. Can the vet give me something to make her woozy so she can go to the doctor and get checked out?

I am pulling my hair out. We also just took one of my mom's cats and I was wondering if she is doing this in protest of my mom's cat being there. This cat has lived with several animals including snakes, rats, other dogs, lizards, etc. What do I do?

By Deborah D

I have gone through the web and still can't find anything to clean cat pee on leather pants. Please help

Anne from Denver, CO

Answers

you can try a product called urine gone, i think thats it, not sure google it. sorry i can't be more help

For some reason, when ever I have company over my cat decides to not use the litter box. Instead, he pees on my friends clothing or on the carpet. I guess guests upset him but he is generally a friendly cat. Anyone had this problem?

- Mel

Answers

He obviously sees them as an 'invader' and is marking his territory. Have you tried putting him outside, or confining him to one quiet area away from company, when your guests are there? The only other thing I can think of as a last resort may be to get him neutered - although this is a bit extreme and may not work as the behaviour is now entrenched.

Good luck - hope you get some better suggestions!

Regards

Jo

By Linda (Guest Post)

Neutering may help, and if your cat isn't already neutered, HE SHOULD BE! Otherwise, confine him and his litterbox away from guests. He obviously doesn't have good company manners!

Your cat is marking territory, and company clothing counts when it is within the cats original territory. Don't use amonia when cleaning the basic ingredient is cat urine. Certain scents like perfume and bleach will get a cat to react, but since you cannot control that, purchase a squirt gun. It is the easiest way to get your cat to flee the scene, it doesn't hurt them, they just don't like it.

Answer this Question

Why does my female cat urinate on my daughter's clothing but not on my son's?

Load More
Pets Pet OdorsMay 22, 2013
👒
👔
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf816094.tip.html