Cat Peeing on Clothing

Category Pet Odors
Sometimes cats choose places to relieve themselves that are not outside or the cat box. This guide is about cat peeing on clothing.

My cat seems to pee only on my dirty clothes. Any idea's on why? She is almost 2 yrs old, and her litter box is kept clean. Please help with any ideas of how to make her go back to using her litter box. No changes in the household. Debbie

Answers

I can't help you I'm afraid, but my cat only used to pee on white organza curtains. Strange Huh? But such is feline psychology!!! hope you get it sorted out! julie

By Linda (Guest Post)

The easy way is to keep your dirty clothes picked up!

By Nancy (Guest Post)

If you don't do this already, I would suggest that maybe you keep your dirty clothes in a hamper until you are ready to wash them. Hide the temptation from the cat - she will have to go back to her litter box.

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)

Why not just buy a hamper with a lid on it? You can find some decent ones for maybe about ten dollars. Or if you are a bit off the beaten path in your taste, get a smaller sized galvanised silver trash can (even a plastic kitchen trash can for more thrifty folk) both have lids, and will keep kitty out.

Well laa dee dah! There sure seems to be a lot of judgemental, self-righteous people out there! I'll bet all of you felt so much better after responding so rudely to Debbie's post!

Of course dirty laundry NEVER touches any of YOUR floors! You folks need to get a life!

Since this is unusual for your cat to do this, I would take her to the vet for a checkup. Our pets sometimes act out of character when they are not well. That is their way of "telling" us. If her health checks out I would confine her to a small room with her clean litter box. Put her food and water dishes and something to sleep on in the room also. But do not keep her dishes near her litter box. Under no circumstances let her out. We had to do this with a cat we adopted. We kept her in our bathroom for one week. You must go visit her and play with her during her time in there. Warning: she may cry and howl for awhile. Our vet told us to do this and it did work for us.

By Ihave2 (Guest Post)

Just for the record, my cat does this too. Always a clean box and clothes are usually kept out of site w/o incident. But came back from trip and left dirty clothes near suitcase and he peed on them.

He used to do this prior when he could get into the basket (now kept in closet). Cannot explain it. He's very healthy, happy, structured, clean, in great environment - so I'm just as curious! There has to be something to this...

By Debby (Guest Post)

My cat or cats...we aren't sure who was doing it...liked to pee on the clothes too! Mostly towels or the kids clothes. We bought some Rubbermaid bins with LIDS...very important...we found out that they don't mind climbing in to pee either! The only problem now is that they (or one) has decided to pee ONLY on the kids toys...directly onto it...my son left his gameboy on the floor and one of them peed right on the screen...what aim I tell ya!

At least the kids know to pick up the toys now! Might want to take him/her to the vet though...just in case.

By Jenn (Guest Post)

I recently adopted a second cat...a 4 year old male from the humane society. When I'd return home from work, I'd smell that foul odor only cat urine could produce! It took me a while to find the source but after a couple days I found several spots of urine on clothes that I'd leave on the floor. I gave him extra attention when I was home, and recently...about 3 weeks into his adoption, this behavior has subsided. Needless to say, my leaving cloths on the floor behavior has subsided as well! Boy did he straighten me up! Good luck everyone...

By Kaycee CO (Guest Post)

I have a weird one for you, my boyfriend moved in 3 months ago, and my cat was fine but now, he pees only on my boyfriends clothes, in a pile of both our clothes my cat found his stuff and peed on it. can someone tell me why

By Kyla (Guest Post)

I have a female cat that pees on dirty clothes. And I have read your answers about getting a hamper. I have one.. but not all of us keep our clothes in it...

and when I make rounds to pick them up.. they've been hit already. Could this be because she's becoming sexually mature? She lives with two male cats.. but they are fixed. She is not.

By (Guest Post)

I used to work at a vet clinic and we got this question all of the time. If your cat is neutered the problem can probably be fixed. You have to ensure a pristine litter box for your cat, pick up the laundry and clean all areas that the cat urinated on - twice, with bleach or specialty cleaner designed for pet odors - to ensure the smell is gone. If they can smeel their own smell at all, they will continue to go there. Then, you should probably go to the vet to ensure your cat does not have a UTI. The vet I worked for said that sometimes cats will associate the pain of urinating when they have an infection with where they are goinig and not the act of going itself. You may have to close the doors to the room(s) where the laundry is sitting as well because once a cat gets in a new habit, they hate to change.

By catmom (Guest Post)

My cat pees on dirty laundry too, she started when the new kitten moved in.
My laundry isn't all over the floor, she climbs into the baskets to pee. I've tried putting the baskets on top of the washing machine to keep her out, but she finds a way up. I can't close the door because the laundry room also happens to be where we keep the cat boxes.

I've tried adding another litter box so we now have 3.
They are cleaned out daily. I don't know what to do, I can't take much more of this!
She will also pee on my daughter's doll blankets if they are on the floor. She was so good about using her box before, I just don't know what to do.

How do you stop your cats from peeing on your clean and dirty clothing?

By Karri

I just brought home a 5 month old cat who isn't fixed yet. It's been two days since I brought him home and he's only used the bathroom 3 times since he's been here, once in the litter box and the other times on my bed/clothes. Earlier today is the time he used the litter box, but only because I closed him off in the bathroom while my boyfriend and I weren't home.

He just started eating this morning and because he used the litter box I thought he was making progress. Am I freaking out too soon? Is there anything I can do to speed along the process so he doesn't have to be locked in the bathroom at all times? He came from a house with a lot of animals and didn't seem to have any problems there. Please help! I've grown very attached and would hate to have to get rid of him.

My cat is 2 yrs old and has just started peeing on our clothing and our bed. Her litter pan stays clean at all times, but she insists on using our stuff to pee on. I punish her by showing her what she did wrong and then putting her in her cage for a time out. Why is that?

By Shaby from St. Louis, MO

Clean or dirty clothes, my 6 year old female cat pees on them. She never used to do this until after she had a stroke in February 2013. I've tried different litters, boxes, different locations of the box, removing access to clothes, towels, etc. The only thing I haven't done is have her checked for a UTI, but she doesn't show signs of it. She's a chatty cat by nature so her constant meowing isn't anything unusual. The only other thing I can possibly think of is I have a 16 year old male cat whose health is in decline, he's nearing the end of his life and I think maybe she's refusing to use the litter box because of him. She avoids him, growls and hisses at him so maybe she's sensed his decline over the last 2 years and has been avoiding anything he touches. I don't know. I'm really upset because I'm already going to lose one little sweetheart to his aging, I don't want to lose another to something that I see as preventable and fixable. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

By Erin

Why does my young kitten pee on my clothes instead of her litterbox? Also, how can I stop it?

By Stephanie L from Columbia, MD

I have two 15 month old cats and about 6 months ago I noticed that if I left clothes lying in the floor the cats would pee on them. Just a few days ago when I was doing laundry I left a pile of clothes in the floor and warned my cats not to pee on them. As soon as I turned around I heard one cat scratching in the litter box and the other one peeing in the floor next to the clothes. They have always been litter buddies and I see both of them using the box. Do you think that maybe they are starting to refuse to use the same box? What do you suggest that I do? Please help!

Beverly from Arizona

Answers

By Michael (Guest Post)

I have had multiple cats in the past and everything that I have read or heard recommends having at least one litter box per cat. This is not to say that they won't use the same box, but it gives them the opportunity to use another box if they get finicky. The boxes should not be next to each other as the cats may confuse the two as one box and the problem remains.

Once that is accomplished, the area that they have peed will need to be cleaned thoroughly - a flourescent black light will help to find all of the urine areas, even old ones - cats will assume that if their urine scent is in an area, then it's okay to go there again. Also, the area should be made inhospitable for the cats, at least for a week or so while you're weaning them from the behavior. This means putting down carpet runners and the like upside down so the spikes are up - cat's don't like that stuff. Cats also typically don't like citrus, so using a citrus scented freshener in that area may help as well.

Good luck!

I had the same problem, but my problem was with the only cat in the house. He'd been using the litter box since I'd got him (about 8 months) - no problem. Then suddenly- he was peeing on clothes, and pooping in the box. Asked our vet and she said it could be that he needs fixed, or he has crystals in his pee, and that it burns him to pee, and he associated peeing with the box, so he goes elsewhere to pee- hoping that it won't hurt. You might ask your vet about the crystals. Good luck.

If they are males, it sounds like a trip to the vet. Both genders get urinary tract infections, but males get a particularly painful kind. Are they neutered? If not, that could help. Or they could be marking their territory. Whatever smells like family is theirs.

Recently my dad got engaged, but something weird happened, her lunchbox and her bag of stuff were both peed on and she noticed the scent was very strong. I can't tell if it's my neutered male cat or my female cat. I can't punish them, they are cats. But I really wanna know who it is.

How do I keep my 17 year old calico cat named Samantha from peeing in the dog kennels and on my dirty clothes? I have 7 animals in my 864 square foot home, 3 large Labs and 4 cats. All of the animals are over 10 years old, except one dog and one cat.

I suspect she has a urinary tract infection, but she can't travel to the vet's office. She gets very car sick. Can the vet give me something to make her woozy so she can go to the doctor and get checked out?

I am pulling my hair out. We also just took one of my mom's cats and I was wondering if she is doing this in protest of my mom's cat being there. This cat has lived with several animals including snakes, rats, other dogs, lizards, etc. What do I do?

By Deborah D

I have gone through the web and still can't find anything to clean cat pee on leather pants. Please help

Anne from Denver, CO

Answers

you can try a product called urine gone, i think thats it, not sure google it. sorry i can't be more help

I had that problem on a leather jacket. I used Urine Kleen, white bottle w/red writing and cap, found at Petsmart. I proceeded with caution, cotton balls, and a roll of paper towels. I kept soaking a cotton ball and wetting the stains that way, then blotting almost dry with paper towels so as not to ruin the leather. After several rounds, I finally dampened one more cotton ball and dabbed the areas, not making them quite so wet as before. I let it air dry. So far no smell has reappeared and this was at least 3 years ago, and the leather went back to its normal texture (as opposed to the urine texture).

For some reason, when ever I have company over my cat decides to not use the litter box. Instead, he pees on my friends clothing or on the carpet. I guess guests upset him but he is generally a friendly cat. Anyone had this problem?

- Mel

Answers

He obviously sees them as an 'invader' and is marking his territory. Have you tried putting him outside, or confining him to one quiet area away from company, when your guests are there? The only other thing I can think of as a last resort may be to get him neutered - although this is a bit extreme and may not work as the behaviour is now entrenched.

Good luck - hope you get some better suggestions!

Regards

Jo

By Linda (Guest Post)

Neutering may help, and if your cat isn't already neutered, HE SHOULD BE! Otherwise, confine him and his litterbox away from guests. He obviously doesn't have good company manners!

Your cat is marking territory, and company clothing counts when it is within the cats original territory. Don't use amonia when cleaning the basic ingredient is cat urine. Certain scents like perfume and bleach will get a cat to react, but since you cannot control that, purchase a squirt gun. It is the easiest way to get your cat to flee the scene, it doesn't hurt them, they just don't like it.

Why does my female cat urinate on my daughter's clothing but not on my son's?

I live with my roommate and her cat, and this cat has it out for me. She deliberately pees on my stuff. Even last night she came up stared me in the eye and popped a squat on the blanket I was under and let a rip. How do I get her to stop?

By Brittany A. from Houston, TX

I have four rescue cats all fixed and about the same age of 5. We have had them since they were each a few months old. One female keeps peeing on my husband's clothes and anything on the couch. She has done this almost since we got her. Lately, she will pee on the couch while we are sitting right there. She has also peed on my boys' beds so they keep her out of their rooms. It's not all the time as far as I can tell and my husband does pet her and tries to be nice and not threatening. She does use the litter boxes too. I can't narrow it down as to why she pees mostly on his stuff. He is ready to send her back to the rescue. I have the Comfort Zone spray, but can't constantly keep putting it everywhere. I'm not even sure it works. I really don't know what else to do anymore, but give her up. The other cats seem fine, but I can't follow her around all day either. This cat is my cat, she only meows/talks with me.

By Sharon H

I have a little kitten only a few months old. We found her outside in our yard in May, We also have three other cats; they are boys and fixed, but recently Loulou has started to pee on clothes that are on the floor, clean/dirty she pees on it. Can you help?

By velvet

My cat, Kida, is a twelve, almost thirteen, year old female cat. I've had her since she was a month old, along with her brother. Both of the cats are strictly indoor cats, and their front nails are clipped. They are both also fixed.

Until 2012, Kida never had any problems going outside of the litter-box. Recently, two of my friends moved in with me. They both take care of the cats when I am away at school, feeding them, giving them fresh water, cleaning their litter-box, etc.

That was when Kida began to pee outside of the litter-box. Sometimes she goes on the floor, but she usually goes (when it is outside of the litter-box) on clothes or towels. The clothes/towels are not mine, rather ones that belong/were used by the other two roommates.

But neither of the roommates do anything to mistreat her; instead they take care of her a great deal. She lets both of them pet her, and she isn't unhappy being around them. She doesn't pee on other fabrics that they have used though, such as blankets that often fall from the couch to the floor.

Also, one time when I was here alone with the cats, she peed on a grocery bag of garbage (that didn't contain fabric). Neither of the new roommates had even touched the bag, so that doesn't make sense with the idea that she dislikes them. The same with peeing on the floor, that is has nothing to do with either of the roommates. There are also similar things left in the floor that she does not pee on, such as grocery bags and pillows.

Despite this, I do believe that her peeing has at least something to do with marking since the two new roommates moved in. However, I do not know what I need to do to fix the problem. The litter-box is cleaned regularly, and even when clean, she will still go outside of it. She usually pees on things she isn't supposed to, when we are in another room or not at home - mainly where we won't catch her in the act.

I just want to know if there is something I can do to fix the problem. The roommates will be here for at the very least another seven months. I also will not get rid of my cat, so I really need to find something to fix, or at least help with, her peeing outside the litter-box.

By Karley G.

Why does my female cat keep wetting on any item of clothing that is on the floor? My cats are very good about using the littler box, but lately Maggie (who I caught in the act, so now we know the culprit) wets on any item of clothing that is left on the floor. I scoop the cat box 2 times a day and have gone back to the regular litter we used. Why is she doing this?

By Bonnie B

My cat is a year old and every time I do laundry I have to keep it away from my cat or else she will pee on it. Even if it's been put away in a drawer she will pee on it if she can. Once it's been in the drawer for about a week she doesn't care any more. What is wrong with her? Could it be the smell of the detergent making her pee on the clean clothes? Her litter box stays clean and she doesn't try to pee anywhere else. Only freshly cleaned clothes. Is there a way to deter her from doing this?

My cat just started doing this. She is peeing on my clothes and not on my husband's things. She only started this when she was in heat. She has never done this before. When she is in heat she wants to be with my husband more and will walk around the house and cry at the top of her lungs. Why did she start this?

Why does my female cat pee on my things only when she is in heat?

By Margaret

I have a cat who is 2 or 3 and she has started peeing on our dirty clothes. She has done it before once or twice, but now it's getting to be every other day in the same spot.