Growing Confederate Jasmine

Category Perennials
Jasmine plant
A perennial vine, also know as star jasmine, that is quite hardy and develops very fragrant flowers. This guide is about growing confederate jasmine.

If the leaves on your confederate jasmine are browning and falling off, that may be a sign your plant stressed. This is a guide about confederate jasmine leaves turning brown and falling off.

Confederate Jasmine

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

We live in Sarasota, Florida and our homeowner's board wants to plant a vine to cover 150' of fencing (5' high) along a community street. Our problem is we have no ready water supply. How much water do newly planted plants need, and would planting the jasmine in a water-rich medium help? We thought we would wait till June, when our rainy season starts, but of course we can't guarantee rain every day, and the dry days can be very hot! Any suggestions?

By Nancy

You can visit a plant nursery and discuss your plans and possible problems with a plant professional. The professional will be able to answer your questions and concerns and also be able to offer ideas and new possibilities you may not have considered.

Forgot to include-it would be nice if you visit a plant nursery for information that you also order the plants, etc., you need from the nursery.

Question

This summer I purchased a confederate jasmine plant and it has done wonderful... green with wonderful fragrant white flowers and has grown up the trellis winding around it every day.

My question is, do I leave this plant alone now that the cooler weather will be here or do I cut it down?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Regards,
Joesgirl

Answer

I'm not sure what zone you are in (I'm assuming 7B or higher), but in general, if your jasmine plant is well-established, no special treatment is required except for any trimming you need to do to keep it in bounds. You can fertilize it lightly next spring if leaf growth starts to look yellowish rather than the normal shiny light green. If you live in a cooler climate and your plant is in a pot, bring the jasmine plant indoors as cooler temps move in and place it in an area receiving bright light with nighttime temperatures of around 55°F.

I' ve had a Confederate Jasmine Plant for 8 years. I 've never done anything to it. It always comes back each year and grows much more. I planted 2 more in other locations this summer. Hope they do as well as my first Jasmine. Good luck!

I lightly prune my jasmine every year to keep it under control. I used to cut it way back with electric shears, but the past year I have cut it way less with just hand pruners.

We have had so much rain, and now I notice in mid August, it looks green and lush from a distance, but when you look closely the underbelly is brown twiggy stems with no leaves. Should I cut it way back again to encourage undergrowth? Or leave it alone? The top that reaches for the sun is very thick and green, the underside does not see the sun.

By Joanna

I live in the southern bay area and my confederate jasmine is climbing on a fence in the front of our house. It hasn't been trimmed since I first put it in some 6 or 7 years ago. I've heard I should prune it, but how far should I cut it back? It's been acting like a bush.

By Pat from Santa Cruz, CA

How do I root confederate jasmine?

By missysmom