Hair Orangish Color After Bleaching

Category Hair Tips
Sometimes when bleaching your hair you will end up with an orange color rather than the desired color. This page has advice about what to do when your hair has a orangish color after bleaching.

I have over the years have had my hair bleached to pure white as that is what I like. The last year when I got it done, it turned out orange (my hair is dark brown). I went back to the salon and demanded it done over as the orange looks terrible. Yesterday it happened again and now it needs to be bleached again like 4 months ago. This is very stressful on my hair. I was wondering if taking a certain medication would make my hair so hard to bleach out? I take 11 different prescriptions. Can you give me some direction?

By Colleen from Canandaigua, NY

Best Answer

I think the hair dresser did not use a strong enough product on your hair to get the proper "lift". If you don't use the correct developer volume, dark hair cannot go all the way to blond. It isn't related to your medication. It is related to your beautician! Good luck.

Best Answer

I've been doing hair for 30 years, and have tons of clients who I make white blonde. I just recently got a client who's hair will not lift up past bright yellow, no matter how strong the bleach is, or how long I leave it on. I think it's a medication she's taking. Just wanted to point out that it might not be the hairdresser's fault.

Anonymous

I never ever had hair color problems from simple medications happen but I do have to tell you that some internal underlying conditions indeed can have something to do with unexpected chemical reactions. Even early pregnancy can affect chemical reactions when having a perm turn out as usual.

I was a hairstylist for 35 years and only twice during all those years did I have a really serious problem with hair color reactions like you're speaking of occur. I had used the exact same product and exact same color appropriate as usual for each of those two clients, one for nearly a decade and the other for over a decade.

You mention you are on 11 different medications so you obviously have some sort of health conditions. One of the times the color for one of those two hair color clients happened that I mentioned was diagnosed within just a couple of months with thyroid (hormonal) problems. I am not trying to scare you if one of the medications you take is not for hormonal reasons but in the other clients case the problem happened twice in a row and she was shortly thereafter diagnosed with leukemia.

If none of the meds you are taking are for any hormonal reasons and/or your hairstylist is still using the same formula as usual then please have a doctor do some blood work to be on a safe health side.

Mine did the same thing when two black friends and I tried to put a white streak in our hair. Both of my friends were successful, but mine wasn't. I have ash brown hair and my streak turned out to be bright orange. I put brown shoe polish in it until it grew out, as in the 60's people weren't dying their hair all the strange colors they are doing now. I assumed the problem with mine turning orange was because I didn't leave the bleach on long enough.

I completely agree with the poster Lynjohnson.

Hair "lifts" (the pigment) which is what gives us the color in our hair to begin with, and when bleach is applied, the pigment is removed gradually or in stages when bleach is applied. If the bleach/peroxide is only a particular

strength, then the hair pigment will only be removed to a particular level.

If you want "high lift" which is a lot of removal of the color pigments, then one must use a stronger bleach to remove (all color).

Since you're seeing "orange residue" in the color of your hair, it sounds like you've only gone half way to removing all the pigment.

Your hair must be in real good condition to "bleach" to this maximum lightening to begin with, because using a stronger "lifting agent/peroxide" will cause extreme breakage since it does weaken the hair.

I have only been putting color on my hair for the last 5 years but when my hairdresser decided to do base color and highlights, she would always ask me before she did the processes if I had changed medications or that had any surgeries or any type of Health changes. If I'd had any of those circumstances in my life she would be very cautious about putting color on my hair or she would do a deep cleansing and conditioning and let my hair come back to normalcy before putting color on it.

My hair was a medium brown and I tried to dye it blonde and now it's orange. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the orange?

YOu can try washing it a few times to see if most of the offending orange washes out. Sometimes the first effects of a dye job are unsatisfactory. IF nothing good comes of that, then you can safely redye 4 weeks later - though nothing, save the fear of damaging your hair, is stopping you from redying it before that.

It's time to see a professional. Your hair could fall out if you keep coloring it and keep making mistakes.

I bleached my hair two days ago from light brown, using 40vol developer and blue powder, by myself. The result is not what I want. My hair is kinda orange. I have tried to use Schwarzkopf Nordic blonde toner for two days, but I don't think it works on me. I do want to make my hair much lighter.

Should I bleach my hair again using a weaker developer (today or tmr?) or dye it lighter (e.g. Loreal Preference extreme platinum, I have bought it)? I heard that I should use purple (violet) shampoos and conditioners after being blonde, yet, I'm using the normal Schwarzkopf repairing ones. Should I change my products to purple ones? Thank you in advanced!