These pest deterrents are highly toxic when ingested, and there are other environmental concerns as well. This guide is about health risks from using mothballs.
Loraine placed some mothballs inside her cabinet, after one week, the mothballs were all gone. What happen to the mothballs?
If the place they are put is hot or humid, mothballs can melt.
Mothballs evaporate. If you get one of those big chunky ones with its own embedded hanger and hang it in a closet, you can see it shrink every day. They just evaporate into thin air. The chemicals in them are very dangerous. You should try not to breath them. You're better off using lavender or cedar to repel moths.
Mothballs evaporate. But I would advise you to use something else, as they are so toxic and the smell permeates the closet and is an awful stench.
Do moth balls affect humans with chest problems?
By Dawne H. from Roslyn, P N.
Mothballs are poisonous, which is why they kill moths. They are poisonous to humans and pets as well. I wouldn't have them in the house, or anywhere else for that matter.
I have a dog and I need to know if mothballs are harmful to pets.
By Annette from Spartanburg, SC
Moth balls are not actually used to kill moths, but rather contain a substance which is used to repel moths from your closets. Either naphthalene or para dichlorobenzene, can be used in moth balls, and both substances are toxic. This chemical tends to change it's state from a solid to a gas form very quickly. If inhaled it can be fatal, and if ingested moth balls are extremely harmful.
Do not induce vomiting if ingested - rather drink plenty of water and consult a veterinarian as soon as possible. Moth balls can cause hemolytic anemia, a decrease in red blood cells, or the amount of hemoglobin the body produces. This can inhibit the blood from supplying the required amounts of oxygen to the body. Symptoms can include: weakness, lethargy, increased heart and respiration rate, pale mucous membranes, jaundice, vomiting and abdominal pain. Urine may also contain traces of blood. Hope this helps and everything is okay!
Yes! Mothballs can be deadly to 'any' animal and to humans, especially children, as well!
Yes mothballs are potentially very harmful to pets and you, too. If you are having trouble with moths, try cedar in some form. You can buy cedar balls, small planks or oil to hang into your closet. It smells a whole lot better than mothballs too.
My husband threw moth balls in our basement this winter. It got into our ventilation and went throughout the whole house. Are there any health risks involved? How do I get rid of this stench?
By Marcia from IN
I think there might be health risks involved. Moth balls are poisonous, - naphthalene - and are for killing moths. Certainly, smelling that horrible odor will not do you any good. I do not know how you would get rid of it other than locating and disposing of the mothballs, but I certainly urge you to do so.