Help Choosing Perennials

I have a long narrow garden beside my house. It gets sun in the morning and mostly shade in the afternoon. I am looking for perennials to put in it. Any suggestions?

Peggy from Springboro, OH

Hostas really love the shade and come in many varieties. Bleeding hearts like semi shade and seem to do very well. (see photo attached)
If you live near a wooded area (as I do) the ferns are just coming up, and now is a good time to dig up ferns and transplant them in a shaded area. I have several varieties, some get up to 3 feet tall.
Most gardeners love to share there plants by giving "clippings" spring is the perfect time, ask a friend or neighbor if they mind sharing. Usually a clump of new growth the size of your palm/hand is big enough to get started. Have fun and good luck (04/14/2008)

By Annie

Help Choosing Perennials

One of my personal favorites is the Astilbe. Forget-me-nots, liriope, and lilies are others to consider. Have fun with your garden. (04/14/2008)

By shopping_addiction_woman

Help Choosing Perennials

Try for whole garden ideas. They have everything planned and you can get some really good ideas. (04/14/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Help Choosing Perennials

I've had great success with bleeding hearts and lilies of the valley in those conditions. The lilies took several years to get established but then they spread and produced thousands -- and they smell divine! (04/15/2008)

By perfume and powder

Help Choosing Perennials

Bleeding Heart, Lily of the Valley, Hostas, Begonia, Impatients, Peony, Pansies, Lambs Ear, Columbine, Bugbane, Cyclamine, Day lilies, Foxglove, Jacob's Ladder, Bee Balm,
Stargazer Lilies. (05/02/2008)

By Mythi

deadheading lilies.
Growing Perennials
Photo of a red camellia.
Selecting Perennials for Northern Texas
Propagating Perennials
Propagating Perennials
Cutting Back Perennials in the Fall
Two echinacea flowers
Dividing Perennials