Home Remedies for Acne

Upper half of a woman's face with the word acne written above it
There are many products that can be easily purchased over the counter that can be used to help treat acne. This is a guide about home remedies for acne.

My 33 year old daughter has constant problems with acne. I heard that fashion models use Pepto-Bismol as a face mask. I made a mix of extra strength Pepto-Bismol and Arm and Hammer baking soda and peroxide toothpaste. My daughter washes her face with this two times a day. Once a week, she uses it as a mask and lets it dry on her face for about 15 to 20 minutes then washes it off with warm water, followed by cold water.

My daughter has used this for two weeks and has seen a huge improvement. Her skin is so soft and has a beautiful glow. Just be very careful to keep it away from your eyes as it will sting them.

To use, put a little of each on your wash cloth and mix it a little with your finger and then wash your face. This way, the mixture is always fresh. This is a very invigorating face wash and mask.

The baking soda in the tooth paste exfoliates, the peroxide purifies and cleans. The salicylic acid in the Pepto helps to clean and close pores, the pink bismuth leaves a nice glow, and the cold water rinse after the warm wash helps to close the pores to keep impurities and bacteria out.

Warning: Do not use this if you are allergic to aspirin or other salicylates. This mixture is just for topical use only. I am not sure if a salicylate topical solution is safe for use on teen-ageers or children with flu symptoms because of Reye's syndrome. I would ask a doctor first.

By proudmary from Boise, ID

This didn't work for me: homemade acne remedy using Milk of Magnesia. Does anyone have other suggestions on getting rid of pimples?

By SusQ

Answers:

Home Remedies for Acne

Wash your face with soap every night before going to bed. I use Dial soap. I also use olive oil mixed with spearmint for my dry skin. I heat up the olive oil with the spearmint in it to release the oil (you will be able to smell it). The spearmint acts as an astringent.

Another way to help with acne is to think about how much stress there is in your life--your body reacts to stress in ways like acne. (12/11/2009)

By Davidicdancer

Home Remedies for Acne

I have stubborn acne and have never really found a home remedy that worked consistently. The best thing I found was tea tree oil. Dab it on a pimple with a Q-tip. Warning: it smells absolutely awful! You may want to wash it off within a few minutes. And the price tag for tea tree oil might lessen the appeal of using it.

Proactiv works pretty well for me, and I recently saw a dermatologist who gave me a prescription (I haven't gotten the medicine yet). Not exactly home remedies, but unfortunately, my skin needs strong medicine. (12/12/2009)

By jj007

Home Remedies for Acne

I've had really good luck with the anti bacterial hand sanitizer. Even though I'm 53 I get the hormonal blemishes and cysts. When I see a blemish forming, a red spot, or a sore spot like a black and blue under the skin which is my sign of a cyst, I put the hand sanitizer on right away; then, as often as I think of it; and then especially at night. I swear they never develop into cysts and the soreness and underlying redness goes away mostly in a day, at the most two days.

Milk of magnesia didn't work for me.

You might crush a regular aspirin finely, mix with a bit of water and apply it to a blemish. Aspirin has salicylic acid in it which is used in a lot of over the counter blemish cleansers, treatments, etc.

Be careful with benzoyl peroxide; I, who don't have allergies, sensitive skin, etc., have a horrible reaction to it. My face swells and gets welts on it. Horrible and it hurts, so I'm very leery of benzoyl peroxide although I've heard it works wonders for some people.

I've heard the honey remedy works too. Before antibiotics, people used honey to heal wounds.
Also, although I wish I was disciplined enough to do it, spread honey on your face and neck for ten minutes twice a day. Supposedly this will clear up actual scarring! I've heard it a lot so I think it would work.

Good luck! (12/14/2009)

By metroplex

Home Remedies for Acne

It might also help to Google 'diet and pimples/diet and acne'. There are certain foods that make it worse :-( (12/14/2009)

By Deeli

Home Remedies for Acne

I know you will think "what? urine? but this has worked for many people. Here is a link to people who have successfully used it. Read a lot of the comments on how to use it and what your own urine contains.
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/urine_therapy.html (12/15/2009)

By Laniegirl

Home Remedies for Acne

Acne comes from inside. I had acne when I was a kid and continued it into adulthood. I am 57 and it only recently went away. Here's what I found out. It starts with candida. Candida colonizes and then the infection sets in. The candida protects the infection, so it can't be cured, maybe gotten under control, but the very anti-biotic that gets it under control actually kills the very bacteria that controls candida naturally. So then afterward, the candida is just that much worse. It's a vicious circle, and every time you have some sort of infection that the doctor's give you anti-biotics for, it helps candida to proliferate more. It effects the whole body in many different ways.

So here's what works. Make a solution of 10% white vinegar. That's like 1 tsp vinegar and 9 tsps bottled water, or any amount you want, but start off with a 10% mix (vinegar is an alpha hydroxy). Then over time increase the amount of vinegar, till you have somewhere between 50 to 100% of vinegar. Use it after each time you wash, spread with a cotton ball or I just use my fingers to spread till the whole face is damp, but not dripping. Let dry. (The mix can be used as often as you want. If your face is dirty or greasy, spread it on, then wipe off with toilet paper, it will remove the oil, then you can put on more like after washing. Also, during the day you can dab the pimples with it. At first the fumes may bother your eyes, just close them and fan your face with your hand, till it's better. After a while, you won't have a problem.

Then, find some natural things to kill the excess candida. Oregano oil is one. You may need a prescription for some anti-fungal. Maybe you can find a doctor who knows about this stuff. Another is to increase your stomach acid, this kills bacteria in your stomach.
Next, I don't know how old you are, but an excess of progesterone, can cause pimples. I found this out by accident. Have your hormones checked. That may not be your problem, but it's worth a try.

For those of you who use honey, be careful, honey is sugar and sugar feeds candida. Sugar, starches, high glucose carbs, feed it inside, too. That means pasta, breads, bagels, potatoes, high glycemic carbs and anything in between. The candida loves this stuff and will cause you to crave these things to feed it. It's a nasty bacteria.

It's also what makes staff infections to be so hard to kill. Candida will surround the staph germ and sort of protect it. Makes it hard to kill. This is only my thought, but it might be the body's way of protecting itself from the staph, by helping to colonize the candida around it. Staph is so hard to kill and can cause death.

Anyway, what I have said can at least give you food for thought. Also, straight white vinegar can be dabbed on straight to the pimple anytime you want. It will dry up and peel away. It's great stuff. You can use apple cider vinegar, but to me it feels like it leaves a residue that is kinda sticky, I think, so I switched to white, it dries clean and smooth. Here's hoping for clear skin. chris

You can send messages to me if you want. (12/15/2009)

By c t

Home Remedies for Acne

A dermatologist explained to me that my body produces excessive oil due to an hormonal imbalance. The excessive oil contains bacteria which causes my acne.

In order to control my acne, I have to "kill off" the bacteria. After trying different treatments for well over ten years, and that includes an oral antibiotic, this is what works best for me.

I use Wal-mart's generic version of Cetaphil Skin Cleanser at night with added tree tea oil. I didn't measure, just guessed. I would guess I used about a teaspoon to the 16 ounce container. I use Cetaphil anti-bacteria bar soap on my face when I shower in the morning. Be careful, and keep any cleansers away from your eyes.

About once a week, I add about a teaspoon of baking soda to the soap lather when I shower for deep cleaning.

I use witch hazel with added tree tea oil as an astringent after cleansing my face. Again just a guess with measurement, 1 teaspoon to the 16 ounce bottle.

This is what works for me. I don't have perfect skin, but using this method has improved my complexion a great deal. It took me a long time to come up with this. Tea tree oil is good for using as an anti-bacteria treatment. I bought mine at Wal-mart. A little goes a long way.

Good luck, I hope you find your solution. (12/16/2009)

By HappyPappy

I have oily skin and so of course I am prone to pimples. I am looking for a homemade remedy for daily care of my skin. What can I use on the spot for the pimples that I get here and there? Also, like many other people, I have scars from previous pimples. How do I get rid of those? Please help. Thanks in advance to everybody for your suggestions.

By Sincerity from Chino, CA

Answers:

Home Remedies for Acne

If you don't have deep scars, but dark spots they will eventually go away, but it may take several months to several years. (My skin looks good now and it was pretty bad when I was young). I've found that you can do more damage by over-washing your face. Wash it no more than twice a day, morning and night with a mild cleaner. More than that and your face will produce more oils to try and counteract your excess washing. (It will rebel.)

Buy Stridex pads in "Gentle" (or another brand) made for sensitive skin and wipe your face down with one of these pads before bed every night (after washing) or after working out or doing sports. They are easy to carry around. Be sure they have the active ingredient "Salicylic acid" in them. The Salicylic acid kills the bacteria on your skin. If these are too strong for your face, then instead follow your face washing with an astringent that has no alcohol in it. Astringents clean deep down in the pores and get out dirt that you don't normally see. Do not overuse any of these products or you face will rebel and make even more oil.

Wash you pillow case with bleach (to kill germs) and only use it for 2 days. Sleep on one side the first night then turn it over and use the other side the next, then use a new, clean and bleached pillowcase on the third night. Bleach your wash cloths and towels, too. I use paper towels to dry my face so I don't get germs from towels. Wash you face with a clean, bleached cloth and not with your hands. If you like to use an exfoliating product like "apricot scrub" don't do this more than once a week or it will irritate and dry out your face. Be sure to moisturize you face after using a product like this. Buy a light moisturizer that has no scent.

I recommend you never use soap to wash you face, but instead use a cream make-up remover instead, or even wash with a face moisturizing lotion then follow with an astringent. What I do is put the moisturizer on my face when it's dry then massage it in with my fingertips then either get in the shower and rinse it off or use a washcloth and warm water to gently remove the face lotion and make-up. This will clean your face without your face rebelling and making more oil because it's over-dry.

Swimming in a chlorine pool can help acne and some people get relief from acne with moderate sunshine, while in some people the sun only makes their acne worse. Be sure your make-up is unscented and high quality. Never buy a cheap, discount make-up.

As far as getting rid of your acne scars, you'll have to wait until your face has totally cleared. Once your face is clear you can exfoliate by scrubbing your face with finely ground cornmeal mixed with apple cider vinegar. This exfoliates the skin. It's a trick models use to take off the top layer of old dead skin cells and get down to new healthy skin. You can do this twice a week. Your skin needs time to make new cells (from below) then you can help the old cells come off faster by exfoliating once or twice a week with the cornmeal and vinegar paste. It makes your skin glow, but don't overdo. If you exfoliate more than once a week when you have acne you'll only irritate your skin and make matters worse.

Acne is caused by bacteria, so wash your hands often and keep them away from your face. Use a make-up that has a pump (so you can't contaminate it) and always wash your hands before applying it. Never share face, eye or any make-up with friends. It's best for your face if you don't wear any foundation or make-up on your face at all or at least when you're home away from work or school. But if you do wear make-up and use a brush to apply it, be sure to wash your foundation or powered blush brush twice a week with shampoo mixed with water and a bit of bleach to kill any germs. If you use make-up brushes, buy 2 brushes so you can switch them out and use one while the other one dries.

I hope I've helped, I had some pretty bad acne when I was young and these are things I've learned the hard way. (06/09/2009)

By Cyinda

Home Remedies for Acne

I would go to this site" earthclinic.com

It is a site for home remedies and holistic treatment. There are lots of things listed under ailments and acne. I love going there, so many ideas.

Robyn (06/10/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Home Remedies for Acne

Check out: Post Feedback: thriftyfun.com. I left a detailed post about what to do, the vinegar will also help get rid of old skin, which will get rid of those pimple marks. (06/11/2009)

By c t

Home Remedies for Acne

In this day and age, I don't think anyone with bad acne that is leaving scars should be using home remedies. There are wonderful medicines that work to cure acne. A dermatologist would be the best to see, but even family doctors would be able to prescribe effective medication that would clear up your acne. (06/11/2009)

By louel53

I use honey daily on my face. I have oily skin. I am looking for some homemade recipes to get rid of pimples, scars, and black heads.

I have pimples and scars on my face. Can you suggest some home remedies for getting rid off them and making my skin healthy and glowing?

Does anyone have any home remedies to clear up blemishes. I have suffered from acne for 14 years now and I have been to a dermatologist but nothing has worked.