Homemade Car Seat Covers

Looking for a way cover worn car seat upholstery or just a fun way to dress up your interior, homemade car seat covers might be the answer. This is a guide about homemade car seat covers.

March 19, 2012 Flag

I found our leather seats so cold during the winter, and when I wore shorts or a dress in the summer, I stuck to the seat. Ouch! You can buy seat covers, but they are quite a pain to put on and take off. I came up with an inexpensive, very comfy solution, memory foam bath mats. You can get them at most department or bath stores in various colours and sizes, but I got this one at Walmart.

They are on sale often at Walmart. I got mine for $8.99. If you have wide seats like our truck, you can lay it sideways across the seat. If you have a narrow seat (like my car does) you can put it with the length from front to back. I tuck some of the excess in the crack between my seat back and seat. You have to work at getting it to go in between, but once it's there, it stays very securely. Being machine washable is a bonus! These are so soft and comfortable, you won't be sorry if you give these a try.

By Ann from Goulais River, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

I got one as a gift from my sister for the bathroom and promptly took it to the car for car seats too! Individual captain chairs, I fold it is half. Cutting in half is not an option as it will disintegrate. And it is comfortable! On the last (back) seat of the van, I use 5 foot long rag-rugs on the seat. Not used often, and can be folded down as cargo, so then this also protects the seat.

Read More Comments...

June 10, 2009 Flag

With several dogs in and out of my car several times a week, or daily, I needed something to protect the front seats from their rubbing fur and other stuff onto the upholstery. Seat covers were absurdly expensive so I now use the cheapest t-shirts I can find or use old ones. I found that sleeveless is best, and either dark colors or festive ones that just need to be washed more often. I use old bath mats for the seats in front (have found great ones at our local dump), and the back sports an old bedspread or blanket that's tucked in here and there.

By NH Veggie lover from Thornton, NH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Me too! We are frugal people. The stretchy sheet on the back seat is a gem, and I put a layer of heavy towel or piece of old blanket under it... mud y'know.

This worked so awesome for me!!

Read More Comments...

September 8, 2009 Flag

Here's an a-ha use for a white fitted bassinet sheet your child has outgrown: cover her dark car seat with it (while the car is parked) to keep it cool! A bassinet sheet fits nicely over a bigger kid's seat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 29, 2011 Flag

For the last forty years, I have used old jeans to make seat covers for my car seats. They will cover a multitude of dirt, rips, etc. and are easy to remove and wash.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 11, 2012 Flag

My husband has been having trouble with his lower back and trying out various pillows and so on to support his back in the car. Finally, he tried using a piece of foam packing material which has worked fine and cost nothing

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to make a new cover for my child's toddler car seat and booster seat.

By Casey from Claypool, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your best bet may be to use the old car set cover to make a pattern. If you dont have the old cover check with friends to see if they have a set cover you can borrow to make a pattern with.

September 14, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a free pattern for a infant/toddler car seat cover? Any one with any ideas?

<p>Pamela

Answers:

Pattern For A Car Seat Cover

In just covered a car seat for my grandson and did not use a pattern. Basically I just laid the fabric over the car seat, piece by piece (example, back, then wings, then, seat) and sewed one piece by hand, then the next. It was really easy. (07/09/2007)

By Lois

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice CarsJune 17, 2012
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Car Seat Belt
Cleaning Car Seat Belts
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Infant car seat.
Car Seat Safety
🎉
🎄