Homemade Car Seat Covers

Looking for a way cover worn car seat upholstery or just a fun way to dress up your interior, homemade car seat covers might be the answer. This is a guide about homemade car seat covers.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Leopard Memory Foam MatI found our leather seats so cold during the winter, and when I wore shorts or a dress in the summer, I stuck to the seat. Ouch! You can buy seat covers, but they are quite a pain to put on and take off. I came up with an inexpensive, very comfy solution, memory foam bath mats. You can get them at most department or bath stores in various colours and sizes, but I got this one at Walmart.

They are on sale often at Walmart. I got mine for $8.99. If you have wide seats like our truck, you can lay it sideways across the seat. If you have a narrow seat (like my car does) you can put it with the length from front to back. I tuck some of the excess in the crack between my seat back and seat. You have to work at getting it to go in between, but once it's there, it stays very securely. Being machine washable is a bonus! These are so soft and comfortable, you won't be sorry if you give these a try.

By Ann from Goulais River, Ontario

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's an a-ha use for a white fitted bassinet sheet your child has outgrown: cover her dark car seat with it (while the car is parked) to keep it cool! A bassinet sheet fits nicely over a bigger kid's seat.

I've googled for this and didn't find anything, which surprises me.

Source: My sleep-deprived brain, oddly enough!

By Gapotter from Raleigh, NC

With several dogs in and out of my car several times a week, or daily, I needed something to protect the front seats from their rubbing fur and other stuff onto the upholstery. Seat covers were absurdly expensive so I now use the cheapest t-shirts I can find or use old ones. I found that sleeveless is best, and either dark colors or festive ones that just need to be washed more often. I use old bath mats for the seats in front (have found great ones at our local dump), and the back sports an old bedspread or blanket that's tucked in here and there.

By NH Veggie lover from Thornton, NH

For the last forty years, I have used old jeans to make seat covers for my car seats. They will cover a multitude of dirt, rips, etc. and are easy to remove and wash.

To Make: Measure the depth and width your seats and draw a pattern on a big sheet of newspaper.

Add enough inches all the way around for a drop to the bottom of the seat plus 2 inches for a big hem. Sew together enough jeans legs to make a piece of fabric this size for each seat.

Cut out your piece and turn up 1 inch for a hem. You don't have to turn under the edge of the hem, no one will see it and it is easier to sew through only 2 thicknesses. Leave 2 inches open at what will be the back of the cover.

Thread a piece of string (I prefer to use Seine Twine which is a very sturdy, hard-twisted string) through the hem. Tie a knot in each end of the twine to keep it from fraying.

Center the seat cover on your car seat and tuck the extra fabric down around it and through to the back with the string ends at the back. Pull on the string to gather it up tightly around the bottom of the seat. Tie the string (you will have very long ends; don't cut them off!) into a really long bow and tuck the ends up under the gathered hem of the cover.

When you decide to remove the seat to wash it, just undo and loosen the bow strings and pull it off.

Source: This solution was inspired by not having any money for extra luxuries like seat covers and having lots of old jeans.

By DeBushe from Gilroy, CA

My husband has been having trouble with his lower back and trying out various pillows and so on to support his back in the car. Finally, he tried using a piece of foam packing material which has worked fine and cost nothing

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a pattern to make a new cover for my child's toddler car seat and booster seat.

By Casey from Claypool, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your best bet may be to use the old car set cover to make a pattern. If you dont have the old cover check with friends to see if they have a set cover you can borrow to make a pattern with.

I am looking for a free pattern for a infant/toddler car seat cover? Any one with any ideas?

<p>Pamela

Pattern For A Car Seat Cover

In just covered a car seat for my grandson and did not use a pattern. Basically I just laid the fabric over the car seat, piece by piece (example, back, then wings, then, seat) and sewed one piece by hand, then the next. It was really easy. (07/09/2007)

By Lois

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice CarsJune 17, 2012
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Car Seat Belt
Cleaning Car Seat Belts
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Infant car seat.
Car Seat Safety
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 16, 2016 at 2:21:54 AM on 10.0.1.154 in 254 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.