Homemade Clorox Cleanup

Is there any reason why I can't just mix bleach with like dish soap and water or Windex and make my own? I love that stuff but gets pricey using it.

Lily from South Bend, Indiana

Answers:

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

CAUTION! Be very careful mixing bleach with other chemicals. Some glass cleaners contain ammonia and bleach mixed with ammonia releases DEADLY gases. Most dish detergents will say on the back in fine print "Do not mix with bleach". PLEASE make sure your mixture is safe. Don't forget too that peroxide and vinegar are disinfectants as well and have "bleaching" properties. I have filled my Clorox cleanup spray bottle with Bleach and distilled water in the past and have had good results. Good luck. (02/02/2007)

Ad

By tardev

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

NEVER MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA! THE FUMES ARE HIGHLY TOXIC! Windex has ammonia. How about mixing sudsy ammonia and water for a window cleaner. (02/02/2007)

By Linda

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

Hi, over the years I have used all of these methods, finally banning all clorox from any area except laundry room! I have/had so many ruined towels, bath mats, robes, PJ's , tops, pants, whatever due to bleach! I finally said, ENOUGH, find some other ways to clean up whatever it is that needs cleaning, bleach is too destructive! (02/03/2007)

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

Don't mix Windex and bleach because Windex has ammonia and when mixed with bleach that is very toxic. (02/03/2007)

By Allison

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

Bleach is not a safe product to use for cleaning your home or even for laundry. The fumes can cause lung and eye irritation and the bleach is caustic to skin. Instead, mix up about a cup of white vinegar in a spray bottle with water and use to clean surfaces. If you need a bit of grit, sprinkle area with baking soda instead of Comet or Vim. Then spray with your vinegar cleaner and scrub. Your house will be clean and you and your family will be much safer and healthier. (03/09/2007)

By Erika

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

Homemade bleach solutions should be made fresh daily. I read that on the Clorox website when I was trying to figure out why I bought pre mixed bleach cleaner when you could just mix a little bleach and water. This is the website that explains the reason.

This website also has an interesting article on bleach being ok for the environment and having a bad rap. (07/31/2007)

By tthompson

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

Ad

Clorox doesn't mold, you don't need to boil the water, though you might need to use non hard water to stop calcium residue. If you pour Clorox over paper towels the chlorine binds to the paper and ruins its potency. Remember 1/2 of what you read on the net is dis information. (02/09/2008)

By RICHARD

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

All Clorox clean up is a 5% bleach solution mixed with 1% of Sodium Hydroxide. Sodium Hydroxide is a caustic that is found in your industrial degreasers such as Purple Power or similar products found in stores such as Home Depot. Mix 1 part bleach, 1 part purple degreaser, and 1 part water and you have home made Clorox Clean-Up. (07/23/2008)

By Jerry

shelf life of home-made bleach

This is why bleach solutions are remade often: Bleach solutions are basic. When exposed to air, carbon dioxide dissolves in the solution (as carbonic acid), pushing the solution towards its equilibrium point, lowering the pH (making it less basic)

Pure deionized water is acidic (in practice) because of this same event: CO2 rapidly dissolves into the water, forming the acid H2CO3 (which goes: H + HCO3). (08/28/2008)

By minithin

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

When chlorine bleach is mixed with an acid, chlorine gas is given off. Chlorine gas and water
combine to make hydrochloric and hypochlorous acids. Chlorine gas exposure, even at low levels, almost always irritates the mucous membranes (eyes, throat, and nose), and causes coughing and breathing problems, burning and watery eyes, and a runny nose. Higher levels of exposure can cause chest pain, more severe breathing difficulties,
vomiting, pneumonia, and fluid in the lungs. Very high levels can cause death.

Chlorine can be absorbed through the skin, resulting in pain, inflammation, swelling, and blistering.
Hydrochloric acid also causes burns to the skin, eyes, nose, throat, mouth and lungs. When bleach is mixed with ammonia, toxic gases called chloramines are produced. Exposure to chloramine gases can cause:

  • coughing
  • shortness of breath
  • chest pain
  • wheezing
  • nausea
  • watery eyes
  • irritation to the throat, nose and eyes
  • pneumonia and fluid in the lungs
Ammonia and acids are found in many household products so be very careful what you blend with bleach. (01/22/2009)

By Desmond

Comments

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
In This Article
Homemade Clorox Cleanup
< Previous
Categories
August 19, 2009
Guides
pan lined with foil
Lining a Pan With Aluminum Foil
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
spray bottle
Homemade "Clorox Cleanup" Recipes
More
🎉
New Years Ideas!
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 2, 2016 at 12:23:31 AM on 10.0.2.48 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!