Browsing: Homemade Deer Repellents

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Deer Repellents

Although proper fencing is the best way to deter deer, there are some things that fend them off. This guide is about homemade deer repellents.

Deer in a garden
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 29, 2009 Flag

I have seen that human hair can be used as a deer repellent, I was wondering if dog hair can also be used. I have a German Shepherd that sheds a lot. I could use her hair if that would also work. Also , what about lavender plants, is that successful as well in a vegetable garden? Thanks you. I am a 1st year gardener so I hope to learn a lot from this site, lots of good info.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Moekelly24 from caryville, florida

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh yes I tried dog hair my poor nekid dog was the only thing that was not eaten. I have used pie pans, cd's you name I have tried it! This year I am trying hot sauce!! It seems to be working so far! But then those deers are laughing and saying oh boy we will just let them hostas grow a little taller and then eat them! I think the only thing that may work is a 12 foot fence with barbed wire around the top. Just think of what the neighbors would say! LOL! Good luck!

I take cds, dvds, run twine through a hole made in them (soldering gun) or through the middle, can hang them anywhere. Hang some bells on this too, so when the breeze, winds or any action will make them move and scares off alot of things I don't want in my garden. These will swing and sway, you can paint them to be colorful if you want.

I used to tend a young orange grove in Christmas FL, 4 or 5 raw eggs blended in a 5 gallon sprayer applied every 2 weeks or as needed will keep deer from eating young trees.

NOTHING works but the egg recipe. I use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of egg beaters and no more deer eating on my roses, maple trees and etc. Works even after it rains. Believe me I have tried everything and this is the ONLY recipe you will need. You can use raw eggs as well but I found it so easy with the egg beaters because you are suppose to remove the white membrane of the egg to mix it. Just remember its a 20 to 80 percent ratio eggs to water. Its suppose to last 3 months even in the rain.

Read More Answers...

May 15, 2011 Flag

I love my foxgloves. They are very easy biennials to grow. The deer never bother them. They grow upright on a slope and don't fall over. The blooms last for quite a long time.

photo of Foxgloves

June 20, 2010 Flag

I have some homemade deer repellent recipes that have spices in them. These spices clog up the spray bottle like crazy. Does anyone have any ideas on improving this problem?

By Karen from Reynoldsville, PA

How about straining the mixture through a coffee filter before pouring it into a spray bottle?

Try boiling your spices in hot water, then strain the mixture and put into the sprayer. The hot water will extract the properties from the spices. You could also grind the spices finely, pulverize them in a coffee grinder or blender.

Chapin brand sprayers have an anti clog filter built into them that should help with this problem

September 6, 2007 Flag

Tips from the ThriftyFun community for preventing deer from eating your roses.

Human Hair

To keep deer from eating plants: a friend goes to beauty shops and gets the hair that has been cut and takes it home and hangs it on fences around the plants. They do not like the smell or something to do with the human hair.

Shrimp Shells

A friend of mine goes to the coast and buys a lot of fresh shrimp to resell. He says that the shell peeled off of boiled shrimp and also the scraps they have from deheading and packaging the shrimp keep deer out of his garden. Sounds like an expensive deer repellent to me though, I would go with the human hair trick

by Ladonna

Wolf Urine

The landscapers in my area had trouble with deer eating all the saplings they had planted and used wolf urine. I got it at a hunter's store. I've used it to keep cats out of my yard. If it rains, you must re-apply it. If you accidentally get it wet when watering your lawn, back up quickly. It really stinks. Do each corner of your yard and then just the odd drop or two around the perimeter. Worked for me!

By Marianne

Several Ideas

The only thing I know of besides fencing out or shooting the deer is a repellent such as Predator Urine or Irish spring soap hung in things like panty hose or mesh produce bags in and around the rose beds. Also maybe a Large Yard Dog would discourage them.

Linne

Expert Advice

"Noise-makers and flashing lights, including loud radios and motion detecting devices startle deer, but the reaction from your nearest neighbors may startle you as well. Strong-smelling soaps and human hair hung in bushes did not work in CSU tests, but bars of Irish Spring soap "planted" on stakes kept deer out of my rose garden successfully last year, until my dogs ate them and spent several days foaming at the mouth.

The best way to minimize deer damage is to plant "deer resistant" plants, and avoid plants that deer favor. A number are water-conserving as well. In general, deer don't care for plants with fuzzy leaves or those that taste bitter. They avoid poisonous plants instinctively.

Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias. Perennials to select include Apache plume, most of the artemesia and sagebrush family, bleeding heart, clematis, coneflowers and daffodils, delphiniums, foxglove, wild geraniums, iris, poppies, peonies, Russian sage, tansy and yarrow. For shrubs and trees, try ash, barberry, box elder, bush cinquefoil, butterfly bush (buddlia), cotoneaster, currants and gooseberries, euonymous, forsythia, lilac (though my deer love them), mahonia, and viburnum. Species roses, shrub roses and old garden roses are more resistant to deer than tender hybrid teas, and far hardier. Plants deer especially dislike include catmint, chives, lavender, sage, spearmint, thyme and yarrow-all useful and easy to grow in this area."

Carole Williams

Source: http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/bambi.htm

By ThriftyFun

Deer Repellent Recipes

Here is a couple deer repellent recipes:

Dried Blood Repellent for Deer and Rabbits

Dried blood should be available at your local garden store. It is a biproduct of cattle beef processing. It comes in a powdered form and is effective for discouraging deer and rabbits from eating your plants.

Egg Deer Repellent

Deer don't like eggs! This recipe is easy to make and fairly inexpensive, it calls for 18 eggs. You can also make small batches.

If you have any advice, post it here!

Years ago, I lived on Catalina Island (off the coast of L.A., Calif.) where deer were constantly destroying my roommate's roses and small fruit trees. We tried hair, urine, soap and all kinds of things to no avail. Finally, we tied several cans together in bunches all tied to a trip line that surrounded our garden just outside our sliding glass door. A couple of nights later I heard something outside the door and flung open the curtains. There was the deer that had somehow climbed over our trip line. I startled it and it took off, this time, catching the trip line dragging the line and cans banging behind it, chasing it and its buddies for several hundred feet. We about died laughing and we never had deer problems again!

This was in my local newspaper just the other day: chunks of deodorant soap. The effect will last for a week before the soap has to be replaced. If you have a Walgreens in your area try there, they often have deodorant soap on sale 4/$1.00.

May 5, 2010 Flag

To keep deer out of your vegetable garden and off of your fruit trees, place white plastic grocery bags on the fence at intervals. The white bags will blow in the wind and the deer will not enter.

By jtomhave from Schenectady, NY

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 14, 2013 Flag

Blend 1 egg and 1 cup water. Pour into a quart pistol grip spray bottle. Fill to top with water, adding 1 tsp. dish soap. Set in sun for a few days until putrified. Spray plants that the animals love to eat. Respray after a rain. It is foolproof. I've been using it for years and found that it is the ONLY thing that works.

May 2, 2004 Flag

Directions:

Beat eggs using an electric mixer or large whisk. Then put eggs into a large bucket. Add water to eggs slowly as you stir with a large stir stick. Mix thoroughly and then strain liquid.

Spray solution on places that you want to discourage deer from eating plants. Reapply this solution after heavy rains. The drawback is that this solution will start to smell on your plants, especially in hot weather. You will want to clean our your sprayer throroughly. When the egg solution dries it may gum up your sprayer.

October 14, 2010 Flag

To keep deer from eating on trees or bushes in the winter, hang a half bar of Zest soap in a net bag tied on a branch. The deer will stay away.

Source: The owner of an apple orchard

By jrvlkr from Pirerce, NE

October 14, 2010 Flag

Put those little pieces of soap in the bottom of cut off panty hose. Tie them around in different places in your garden to keep deer away. Ivory and Irish Spring seem to work best.

By George from Roanoke, VA

Answers:

Use Soap Pieces For Deer Control

Oh, if this really works, this could be the solution I'm looking for. Our gardern tends to be nothing but a free salad bar/buffet for deer. We try making a garden ever so often, but usually before any thing gets ripe or fully grown, the deer have already wiped it out. Thanks for the tip! (05/28/2008)

By Stacy in AR

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJanuary 28, 2013
    Bees
    Homemade Bee Repellents
    Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent
    Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent Review
    Fawn (Baby Deer) standing in the grass.
    Fawn (Baby Deer) Information and Photos
    Homemade Insect Repellents
    Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 5:55:40 PM on 10.0.2.238 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.