Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments

Category Dry Skin
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
You don't have to buy commercial dry scalp treatments; you can make your own using ingredients you may already have around the house. This is a guide about homemade dry scalp treatments.

• ginger root
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

1. Squeeze ginger root through press to obtain one tablespoon of juice.
  2. Mix all ingredients.
  3. Apply to scalp and let dry before shampooing.
  4. Repeat three times a week.

By Ellen Brown

Note: Some recipes are not suitable for sensitive skin. Each person is different, so test on the inside arm or wrist for any possible allergic reactions before using these recipes.

I have very dry scalp and hair problems. What are some homemade secrets to fix this? It is very embarrassing and I need help!

Chrissy

After doing these remedies. Should we dry our hair with a hair dryer or let it air dry? I have heard mixed responses on what helps the best.

I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed a cream for my severe dry patches. Then he told me that the main ingredient in this cream (KETO-someting) is in NIZORAL. It costs about $13.00 a bottle but well worth it. I believe that is how it's spelled. The cream contains 2% and the NIZORAL contains 1%. You can use it daily and it really helps with the "DEEP" itchiness feeling and the patches are almost gone. I use a good moisturizing conditioner after each shampoo. Good luck.

I have very dry scalp and I itch it then comes dandruff.

It's hard sometimes to come up with the money to see a Dermatologist and the pay for a script to treat dry, itchy, flacky scalp. I have the worst dry scalp and winter time is always the worst, I would get those huge flakes and I would never wear my hair down so nobody could possibly see any... But I found the best stuff ever! You can get it in a beauty supply store like Sally's. Its called "Hair One" but get the kind for dry scalp. Its a totally new way of cleaning your hair, its NOT shampoo.

All shampoo even the most expensive salon brands all contain the one ingredient that makes dry itchy scalp worse, yes even the (dry scalp anti dandruff) has it to. Its (Sulfate) this is the stuff that makes the suds and lather, but this stuff strips your scalp of all the moisture which actually irritate your scalp even more... I haven't used shampoo in 6 moths, this stuff is Awesome! I have gotten all my female coworkers and family using it and loving it as much as I do. Its about $10.00 for a bottle and it lasts me 3-4 weeks.

Can olive oil which is used for preparing food be used as hair massage therapy for dry flaky scalp? If so, how long do you need to massage it in? After how many minutes do you wash it off?

By Neena

Yes, you can use olive oil. Mediterrean women have used it for centuries (skin also). You can also use Almond oil (smells yummy) or virtually any kind of oil. Vegetable oil, whatever. Just don't use motor oil :). Remember any kind of oil is absorbed from your skin into your body! Oh another good one is coconut oil (health food stores). It will also kill germs! (works great on killing germs inside your mouth)(It smothers head lice also). It goes a long way, use sparingly. It also smells yummy.

Yes, it works very well! I could give you a long, drawn-out story about what a salvation it was for me many years ago when I had 2 surgeries in 3 weeks & my body went so haywire that I went from oily scalp & skin to absolutely bone dry,flaky,itchy & very painful! Nothing worked until I read about using olive oil like a hot-oil treatment & boy did it work!

What you do is to heat a little oil in the microwave & massage it into your hair (I think it works better on damp hair, but it can be dry too). Put a shower cap on, or better yet wrap your head in plastic wrap. Let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes, an hour or longer,depending on how bad your hair is & how long you can stand it. You can wrap a towel over that if you want(the heat makes it absorb better).You can let it penetrate while you soak in the tub too.Shampoo it out. Might have to repeat shampoo to get it all out, or if you hair is really dry,it might absorb so much of the oil you only need shampoo once. Cider vinegar rinse helps too.

I went a little overboard. My head was so dry it hurt. the hot oil felt wonderful! I wrapped my head in plastic wrap, put a towel over my pillow & slept that way all night then washed it out. My hair was beautiful! I had to repeat this weekely until my body recovered & went back to it's normal,oily self.

We've used this for years since on various family members & it works better than any hot-oil treatment you buy.

Also can be used to soak fingernails in. Put it in little bowls and soak for strong healthy nails. I have been using olive oil on my scalp for a while now, it works great. Jenny

Olive oil works wonderfully on dry hair and scalp. if your natural hair color is light (eg. blonde) then ypu can wash it off after an hour, but if you have dark colored hair, then I would suggest to keep it on longer, maybe overnight, and wash it off next morning. That's because dark hair is more coarse than light hair. I would agree with the others who have suggested to warm the oil first, as it will be absorbed easily.

If you want to try something else, you can mix 1 egg, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 cup of room temperature olive oil. mix well and saturate your hair with it. then wash it after 1 hour. Hair will be amazingly soft and shiny. (Do not heat the oil as that will cook the eggs!) Good Luck!