Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments

You don't have to buy commercial dry scalp treatments; you can make your own using ingredients you may already have around the house. This is a guide about homemade dry scalp treatments.

June 6, 2005 Flag

I have very dry scalp and hair problems. What are some homemade secrets to fix this? It is very embarrassing and I need help!

Hi. I have what I think is called "soriasis"? but my scalps real dry, and i have tons of flakes, which is really gross! Do you any suggestions? Thanks!

After doing these remedies. Should we dry our hair with a hair dryer or let it air dry? I have heard mixed responses on what helps the best.

I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed a cream for my severe dry patches. Then he told me that the main ingredient in this cream (KETO-someting) is in NIZORAL. It costs about $13.00 a bottle but well worth it. I believe that is how it's spelled. The cream contains 2% and the NIZORAL contains 1%. You can use it daily and it really helps with the "DEEP" itchiness feeling and the patches are almost gone. I use a good moisturizing conditioner after each shampoo. Good luck.

I have very dry scalp and I itch it then comes dandruff.

January 27, 2011 Flag

Can olive oil which is used for preparing food be used as hair massage therapy for dry flaky scalp? If so, how long do you need to massage it in? After how many minutes do you wash it off?

By Neena

During biblical times I know that women used olive oil for conditioning their hair. Use the Google search engine. You will be surprised at the websites that will come up.

Yes, you can use olive oil. Mediterrean women have used it for centuries (skin also). You can also use Almond oil (smells yummy) or virtually any kind of oil. Vegetable oil, whatever. Just don't use motor oil :). Remember any kind of oil is absorbed from your skin into your body! Oh another good one is coconut oil (health food stores). It will also kill germs! (works great on killing germs inside your mouth)(It smothers head lice also). It goes a long way, use sparingly. It also smells yummy.

Yes, it works very well! I could give you a long, drawn-out story about what a salvation it was for me many years ago when I had 2 surgeries in 3 weeks & my body went so haywire that I went from oily scalp & skin to absolutely bone dry,flaky,itchy & very painful! Nothing worked until I read about using olive oil like a hot-oil treatment & boy did it work!

What you do is to heat a little oil in the microwave & massage it into your hair (I think it works better on damp hair, but it can be dry too). Put a shower cap on, or better yet wrap your head in plastic wrap. Let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes, an hour or longer,depending on how bad your hair is & how long you can stand it. You can wrap a towel over that if you want(the heat makes it absorb better).You can let it penetrate while you soak in the tub too.Shampoo it out. Might have to repeat shampoo to get it all out, or if you hair is really dry,it might absorb so much of the oil you only need shampoo once. Cider vinegar rinse helps too.

I went a little overboard. My head was so dry it hurt. the hot oil felt wonderful! I wrapped my head in plastic wrap, put a towel over my pillow & slept that way all night then washed it out. My hair was beautiful! I had to repeat this weekely until my body recovered & went back to it's normal,oily self.

We've used this for years since on various family members & it works better than any hot-oil treatment you buy.

Also can be used to soak fingernails in. Put it in little bowls and soak for strong healthy nails. I have been using olive oil on my scalp for a while now, it works great. Jenny

December 9, 2005 Flag

• ginger root
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Squeeze ginger root through press to obtain one tablespoon of juice.
  2. Mix all ingredients.
  3. Apply to scalp and let dry before shampooing.
  4. Repeat three times a week.

By Ellen Brown

Note: Some recipes are not suitable for sensitive skin. Each person is different, so test on the inside arm or wrist for any possible allergic reactions before using these recipes.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Dry SkinNovember 4, 2012
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A bowl of rose petals for soaking hands or feet.
Saving Money On Spa Treatments
Beautiful drapes.
Saving Money on Drapes, Blinds and Window Treatments