Remedies for Psoriasis on the Scalp

Psoriasis can be irritating anywhere but having it on your scalp can be particularly bothersome. This is a guide about psoriasis on the scalp.

I have psoriasis in several places. But in the past few weeks, it's gotten worse on my scalp. It often gets crusty and bleeds. I use a medicated shampoo/conditioner and also skin zinc. But it doesn't seem to be getting better. Does anyone have suggestions?

By Monk'scornerdeli from SC

Answers

Best Answer

I am the friend that Crafter Mary mentioned in her feedback.
My problem was so bad that my hair was coming out in the front in big chunks. I tried all the usual, tar shampoo, etc. Nothing helped. My hair was getting very thin from the hair loss. I read about Vicks in Dr. Peter Gott's column in our local newspaper.

By this time, my doctor had made me an appointment with a dermatologist, but I was not looking forward to that because I was almost certain they would use steroids or something. So when I read the newspaper column, I figured that I had nothing to lose. As Mary mentioned, I first used plain old vicks. I just rubbed it all over my scalp and then put a plastic shower cap over it. I left it on for about 4 hours, then washed it out. My scalp was absolutely clean with the first application.

But what a mess with the vaseline part. It would not wash out. But I remembered the dry shampoos of the 50's and sprinkled baby powder all through my hair and massaged it in, then brushed it out. It took all the sticky stuff with it. I shampooed it a second time and it was clean. I had a few stubborn spots near my temples that would begin to build up. By this time I had discovered the Vicks lotion in a tube. The active ingredients are exactly the same as in the old product except it doesn't use the petroleum base.

When I found a place that was forming again, I would just put a dab on my index finger and rub it into my scalp and it would disappear. It has been almost 2 years now since I have had to do anything. My scalp is normal. My Doctor was amazed at my remedy and told me that I could cancel my appointment with the dermatologist.

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

I get psoriasis on my scalp from time to time. Sometimes, Vicks helps me, but sometimes it doesn't work. If it's the "weepy" kind, I use Listerine mouthwash and it clears it right up. (I actually use the generic store brand "brown" version of Listerine most of the time.)
I read something recently that said that psoriasis is a reaction to something you eat, so you might want to experiment with your diet and see if that helps. For me, if I eat a product with gluten, I have a psoriasis outbreak within 12-24 hours, so I do my best to avoid all forms of gluten.

How do you get rid of psoriasis on the scalp?

M Achter from Utah

Answers:

Psoriasis on the Scalp

Have you tried a vinegar rinse? I know it sounds crazy, but my hairdresser had me try it as a conditioner. It really works! I just use conditioner afterward to cover the smell. :) (09/15/2006)

By Sara

Psoriasis on the Scalp

Psoriasis needs special nourishment. You can take cod liver oil for vitamins A & D, you can apply it topically too. Also, you can get lemon flavored oil at the health food store, it's not too bad taken with food. Applying raw honey and letting it soak in helps for the times you can stay home for a few hours with the treatment. Get as much sunshine on the area as you can. Ask at your local health food store or practitioner. There are a lot of things you can do .
(09/15/2006)

By carla

Psoriasis on the Scalp

I use Tree Tea Oil, which you can find in the ethnic hair care section of many chain pharmacy stores or in salon product stores. I put it in a bottle from hair coloring because the small tip opening makes it easy to apply to the scalp. (09/15/2006)

By Lynn

Psoriasis on the Scalp

My understanding about psoriasis is that once you get it you'll always have it. It is a form of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis. Be sure to see a dermatologist and follow the doctor's recommendations. I have seborrhea, but the doctor always puts psoriasis with a question mark when he writes that in his notes. I use Nizoral shampoo every day. You must not miss one day in washing your hair. Do not color your hair or use products that cause your scalp to break out.
Best of luck. (09/16/2006)

By Carol in PA

Psoriasis on the Scalp

Scalpicin is a truly great product made for scalp problems such as yours. There are 2 kinds; one made with salicylic acid, the other made with a type of cortisone. You just need to see which form works for you. I like the one with salicylic acid. I use it to get rid of dandruff and believe me, it works wonders when nothing else will. Here is a url with all kinds of questions and answers about it, how it works and any scalp question you may want answered:

http://www.scalpicin.com/

Stinging Nettles - Make up a strong tea of dried Stinging Nettles (below is url with more info). Wash & condition hair as usual then after final rinse pour on the tea, rub it around scalp & leave it on (the nettles do not sting after they are dried). You may be surprised to learn just how well this herbal remedy works. It's amazing! And no nasty smell like tea tree oil.

http://www.allnatural.net/herbpages/stinging-nettle.shtml

Lecithin is a supplement (see url below for more info) that worked wonders for my ex-husband's Psoriasis. Every time he had an outbreak, he'd take the Soy Lecithin until the Psoriasis went away & then he kept taking it for another 2 weeks or so after it was gone. He said it was the only thing that worked for him.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/LECITHIN_SUPPLEMENT.htm

(09/16/2006)

By Cyinda

Psoriasis on the Scalp

Dollar General has the Neutrogena equivalent shampoo for cheap and it's the same formula, specifically for Psoriasis, I believe. It works. Be careful not to get any in the eyes. Prior to shampooing, with stiff brush, brush scalp in
all directions while hanging head down and doing it outside to drop flakes there, not inside. Don't scratch scalp too hard. I suggest taking these for hair and scalp: Acidophilus 1 xday, Vitamin E 1 xday, Multi-Vitamin 1 xday, B complex 1 xday. (09/23/2006)

By Lynda