Shaving the Bone to Fit Dentures

If your dentures to not fit right it can not only be irritating and uncomfortable but painful as well. Getting a proper fit may require shaving the bone to fit your dentures by the dentist.

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

Answers

Best Answer

I agree. Get a second opinion. The denturist that fitted my mom's dentures said that the bones will shrink considerably over the space of a year, and that dentures will need to be adjusted accordingly. Since yours have only been in for three weeks, it seems premature to be doing further oral surgery. Surely adjustments can be made to the dentures!

Best Answer

Hi Abigail If they shave your bone, it will give you a much better fit for the denture. I had mine done over 20 years ago.

I felt no pain at all. It was done with Novocain at the time of my extractions. Make sure You find a Dentist with many years experience in dentures. Don't be afraid to ask! Good luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Thank goodness my dentist does all an oral surgeon does with just Novocain and gas. He just shaved down my bones because they push through and if it is not smooth along the gum the denture will just hurt and not fit, so it's rare but it does happen. I just had my gum bones shaved down and I can feel what a difference it's going to make. The denture has to fit your roof from the gums, hope this helps someone.

Is there any reason they can't shave the dentures to make them fit properly? Must you have oral surgery? I'd suggest getting a second opinion. With all the technology available nowadays, it seems fishy to me that they can't solve this problem by fixing the dentures themselves. Surgery will cost a lot more- no doubt they are billing your insurance for that?

Please get a second opinion.