Shaving the Bone to Fit Dentures

If your dentures to not fit right it can not only be irritating and uncomfortable but painful as well. Getting a proper fit may require shaving the bone to fit your dentures by the dentist.

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

Answers

Best Answer

I agree. Get a second opinion. The denturist that fitted my mom's dentures said that the bones will shrink considerably over the space of a year, and that dentures will need to be adjusted accordingly. Since yours have only been in for three weeks, it seems premature to be doing further oral surgery. Surely adjustments can be made to the dentures!

Best Answer

Hi Abigail If they shave your bone, it will give you a much better fit for the denture. I had mine done over 20 years ago.

I felt no pain at all. It was done with Novocain at the time of my extractions. Make sure You find a Dentist with many years experience in dentures. Don't be afraid to ask! Good luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Thank goodness my dentist does all an oral surgeon does with just Novocain and gas. He just shaved down my bones because they push through and if it is not smooth along the gum the denture will just hurt and not fit, so it's rare but it does happen. I just had my gum bones shaved down and I can feel what a difference it's going to make. The denture has to fit your roof from the gums, hope this helps someone.

How much is it for you to get your bone shaved down, along with teeth pulling?

Answers

It depends where you live. My daughter had to get teeth pulled about 20 years ago.

It was $65 per tooth in NY. I am sure it is much more today. Call dentists in your area and they will tell you what they charge.

The cost is different in every city and with every insurance (I will address no insurance at the end).

If you have dental insurance or medical insurance (because sometimes it is covered under one policy and sometimes the other), look for the toll free number on the back of the card and ask them:

1. if they pay for these particular services

2. If it is covered (they will pay) how much will they pay (all or a percentage)

3. If it is covered, who can you go to to have the insurance pay (this may or may not be your regular person)

4. Does this procedure need to be prior authorized by the dentist or oral surgeon (IF YES, YOU MUST TELL THE DENTIST/ORAL SURGEON TO DO THIS BEFORE The PROCEDURE OR IT MAY NOT BE PAID)

If you have no insurance or it is not paid, ask them if they will tell you what the costs would be if they paid it (often called "reasonable and customary costs". You will need to know this to help you negotiate prices with the doctors if you don't have insurance to pay it OR it is not paid by your insurance.

Also, if you do not have insurance, you can see if a dental school will do these for less than a regular dentist or oral surgeon. We are lucky in my town to have one of the best dental schools in the country nearby and they do work with people!

PS IF YOUR DENTAL INSURANCE SAYS NO, CALL YOUR MEDICAL INSURANCE--these tips work for both employer paid insurance programs and public assistance (i.e. Medicaid or Medical Assistance) or Medicare or Medicare Special Needs. Sometimes depending on why you have to have these procedures, your dental insurance does not pay, but your medical insurance will

When speaking to your dentist or oral surgeon if you have no insurance or it doesn't pay all, ASK if they have a free care fund you can apply for OR if they don't if you can work with them on a sliding scale.

We have been thru this several times and depending on the insurance, the medical need (we know you need it, but this term means the insurance company THINKS you medically need it), you may have any of these scenarios occur or some of the procedure will be covered and some won't.

Prayers for healing!! WHEN YOU GET THIS...ASK THEM TO WRITE DOWN THE CARE PLAN AFTER...It is critical to follow the post operation procedures to the letter so you heal correctly.

I recently in my area found an emergency walk - in clinic and they charged $55 for an extraction