AdviceHealth & Beauty

Help For Ostomy Supplies

I am homeless and need ostomy care supplies. Is there anywhere to get help?

By BEVERLY WILKEN

I found a supplier which will send supplies free but you must pay shipping. Is there any way you can get help with that? It is called ostogroup. I found it by googling free ostomy supplies. There might be others. My husband had to have a colostomy for 6 months in 2006 but he was covered by medicare and our supplement. It is hard when you don't have insurance. I wish everyone could be on medicare.

Anonymous

Try www.ostogroup.org They have ostomy supplies for the uninsured.

I myself have been waiting four months for them to get back to me . When you call its never a live person . They tell to leave only one message but I have called three times within the four months .

thankyou

Do you qualify for Medicaid? Are these supplies covered? Perhaps a shelter or relative or friend can receive the things you need.

Since you appear to have access to a computer, look up the companies that make your ostomy supplies and see if they have Patient Assistance Programs. You'll have to print out a form and send some documentation, but some companies will send these items and prescription medicines for free (or very little cost) to people who qualify.

Hopefully you have an address where you can receive these items, but be aware that in some cases they send by Fedex and you have to sign for them. I have received several Rx medicines and diabetes test strips for free through these programs when I was unemployed. Good luck to you.

Anonymous

Especially since you're homeless you should be able to get Medicaid! You don't mention where you live or I would have looked up your local Department of Human Services for you but you can easily do it with a Google search and then get yourself to their office ASAP! They will also give you resources to check out for housing and possibly food coupons.

There is a national charity called Love,INC. (www.loveinc.org). Find a chapter near you and they may know how to help you or know someone who can!

contact the companies Convatec and I think Hollister. They each have programs to help folks who can't pay with 3 month supply one time per year.

there are other groups on facebook who have free or free plus shipping supplies also.
hope this helps
prayers for you