Finding Free or Low Cost Ostomy Supplies

This is a page about finding source for free ostomy supplies. If you are low income or without insurance, it can be hard to obtain affordable ostomy supplies. Here are some suggestions for finding low cost or free supplies.

I am homeless and need ostomy care supplies. Is there anywhere to get help?

By BEVERLY WILKEN

Answers

Best Answer

Since you appear to have access to a computer, look up the companies that make your ostomy supplies and see if they have Patient Assistance Programs. You'll have to print out a form and send some documentation, but some companies will send these items and prescription medicines for free (or very little cost) to people who qualify. Hopefully you have an address where you can receive these items, but be aware that in some cases they send by Fedex and you have to sign for them. I have received several Rx medicines and diabetes test strips for free through these programs when I was unemployed. Good luck to you.

I need free ostomy supplies. Can someone please help me with suggestions for finding a source?

Answers

Best Answer

If you have insurance, your insurance may cover all of your ostomy supplies or a part of it. (depending on your coverage)

There are some websites on the web that can give you a free sample to see if you like the product to continue to order more.

Best Answer

I have my Dr. write a prescription to the place I order from. My insurance company will then pay their portion of my pouches and skin care. You might also find out if your area has a cancer center. Many times ostomy items are donated from families to help others when their loved ones have passed on. Hope this helps.

I'm having trouble getting colostomy supplies for free because I only have Medicare A and I need some help from someone.

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few suggestions. Some are just for short term, but if you ask each group, they may be able to point you to better, more permanent solutions:

www.ostomy.org/.../

www.180medical.com/.../

www.needymeds.org/.../64

United Ostomy Associations of America
P.O. Box 525
Kennebunk, ME 04043-0525
1-800-826-0826

Also try your local hospital's social worker team to get you local resources or if they are not helpful, talk to your primary care doctor.

Every city has different resources.

Prayers for solutions!

Best Answer

Many times the doctors have samples. I would ask them. Companies sometimes give supplies to patients who can of afford them.

Best Answer

Here is a site you can check and they offer you free samples. I know free samples isn't much but if you can get free samples from several places this is a good start. www.veganostomy.ca/.../

Here are a few other sites where you can order free samples from

www.coloplast.us/.../

www.bladderandbowel.org/.../

www.salts.co.uk/.../order-samples

www.alibaba.com/.../free-colostomy-bags.html

Best Answer

See if your doctor could write a prescription to have it covered?

Other resources:
www.cancercare.org/.../colostomy
www.ostomy.org/.../

Here is also a more in depth thread that may help you out: www.thriftyfun.com/tf82385478.tip.html

Good luck!

My health insurance is limiting what I can get a month. I have a permanent ileostomy and because the muscle around the stoma is not flat, it causes me to leak output. I have to change everyday and apply an eakin seal for added protection. I have made an appeal to the insurance and was denied my 30 day supply. I am going to appeal again, but I want to see what other options I have to get the supplies I need. They are so expensive. I need help. Desperate!

Answers

Best Answer

On the Ostomy forum people are always talking about where they have some low cost supplies. You can check it out here. You can find some interesting information on this forum to help you out. www.meetanostomate.org/.../viewtopic.php?t=4703

Best Answer

Hello
I am so sorry for your limitations. Please see if your doctor can write you a RX, and fax it to your insurance company, along with a note of your condition. I have had a illeostomy for almost 28 years. I too, have struggled with leakage.

I have tried almost everything. I have the most luck with activelife covex one piece pouches from ConvaTek. I also have much less problems with a elastic ostomy belt. Stomahesive past skin barrier and powder worked much better for me than the barrier strips. I hope this helps. Blessings! Ida

In search of free or low cost ostomy supplies.

Answers

Best Answer

Contact cancercare.org

Best Answer

Go to your local pharmacy and have them check with the manufacturer of several different brands that you can or do use, to see if they have a patient assistance program.

My sister is going for surgery next week, she must use the colostomy bags permanently! We would like to help her so she can get them. We are retirees in a low income bracket, so could you please let us know if is a place where we can by those bags at a reasonable and more affordable price.

Thanks and kind regards.

Answers

CancerCare.org has a list of resources here. www.cancercare.org/.../colostomy

Prayers for your sister. What we have learned from family experience is the following:

1. Talk to the hospital where she is having her surgery and see if the social worker can arrange for a good starter supply of the products. They (social workers) may also be able to help with long term solutions.

2. While it turned out we didn't need to contact them, this group is supposed to be helpful (but it is for US residents only from what I understand) meplus.convatec.com/.../.

3. There are ostomy support groups (this link is for a finder for one near you): www.ostomy.org/.../

Sometimes families of people who have passed, share their supplies with support group members who are in need. From what I understand, the arrangements vary from people just sharing to the recipient having to pay postage. It can't hurt to join and ask.

If you are not in the US, I would have to do some research to help.

Prayers for your sister and for you!! Sending up lots of healing wishes!

Thank's for your reply and the best wishes for my sister, unfortunately, my sister is in Cuba and like Venezuela, there are very little or no medical supplies available.
We are in Florida and trying to find a way to help her with the Colostomy bags, however been pensioners in a low income, we are looking for a more affordable place where to buy them, as we are her only hope and this is a permanent situation.
Any information or suggestion on this regard will be very much appriciated.

I have a friend in Canada who told me about this group.

www.fowc.ca/

Perhaps a call to them can yield information that would be valuable.

Please post back what you learn. If I come across anything else in my travels, I will pass it along. Prayers will continue for your family.

Check with Osteo group they provide bags to the uninsured just charge for shipping

My daughter wears ostomy bags. We need help in finding out if someone can help with emergency supplies.

Answers

Cancer Care has resources www.cancercare.org/.../colostomy

The manufacturers of the bags themselves have financial assistance, too.

There are several organizations that help with this but each one will have forms to complete to see if she qualifies.

I will list links to sites but some may just offer low cost supplies.

www.ostogroup.org/.../

meplus.convatec.com/.../

I read the post about a person's friend who needs ostomy supplies. When my DH had his surgery in 2006 we encountered so many people who were either under insured or had no insurance at all. This post on the 24th got me thinking. There must be some help somewhere. I did some googling and found this site:

They help people who aren't insured to get the supplies they need. It is also a place where you can give charitable donations if you wish.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

Answers:

Help For Ostomy Supplies

I just wanted to thank you for posting the info about this helpful organization. I looked at their web site & they are truly doing Gods work on earth, helping those who need help but have no or very little insurance or money. Thank God there are people out there who take the time to run an organization such as this! ...Hopefully they'll get donations. (04/02/2008)

By Cyinda

Help For Ostomy Supplies

This is wonderful! A few years ago my mom had a temporary colostomy for about a year. Her insurance only covered so much & allowed so many per month. Sometimes she would run out, because she was just learning & there were many mishaps. Many times I had to stop at the medical supply store & buy them & was shocked at the prices.

When she did have her reversal, we donated her supplies locally.

Good for you getting the word out!

Trish in CT (04/07/2008)

By Trish Mastriano

Top Comment

I am an ostomy nurse at my hospital. I have patients who have had reversals or product changes. They have given me their old supply. Unfortunately wafers are used more than pouches because of leaks etc. I have pouches galore. I am part of a closed ostomy group. It is amazing how many people do not have insurances and now how many more will not have insurance or any help. Some have never had any Ostomy teaching. Thanks to this group many learn how to care for themselves. I have a friend in Tanzania who has a colostomy and no access to equipment. I am hoping to find someone can supply her with equipment even if there might be a minor cost. If anyone has any info I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

How can I get help obtaining ostomy supplies for my uninsured father?

Brittany from Paragould, AR

Answers:

re- help paying for ostomy supplies

Is there anyone out there that can get me some help? I am very strapped for money and need these things, bags and wafers. If anyone can help, please e-mail me. Thank you. (07/13/2008)

By Jennell

Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 20, 2018
🍀
🌻
🐰