Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic

Category Health
The cost of veterinary care can be quite expensive. A low cost clinic can help save you money while ensuring that your pets receive the care necessary. This is a guide about finding a low cost vet clinic.

When looking for veterinarian services it helps to find a clinic you can afford. This guide is about finding free or low cost pet clinics in California.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Sometimes the cost of pet veterinary care can be prohibitive. Don't give up; many areas have low cost pet clinics. This is a guide about finding free or low cost pet clinics in Florida.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have a cat who was abandoned by his family and then hit by a car all in the same day. His bottom jaw is broken, and I want to know if anyone knows of any animal doctors who would be willing to work with me on a payment schedule. In the meantime, the poor little guy can eat wet cat food and he has a good strong spirit!

By josephsky

Answers

Best Answer

I think that any vet would work with you. You are so kind to take on this task. Just take the cat in and ask. No one should turn you down.

I found this beautiful American Pit Bull one day while out driving around. When I found him he was in great health and looked like he was taken good care of. I've had him about four months now and he's got sore spots on his back and tail. I don't have much money to do anything about it, but it appears he's itching really bad and I feel sorry for him. He was so healthy looking when I found him and now not so good. Any advise on how I can get him taken care of cheaply, if not for free. Please help.

Answers

He could have mites. I think you should take him to the ASPCA if you are short on cash. Some vets are nice and will do what needs to be done at their cost.

I have a cat who needs to see a vet. I can't afford one for her to see, but fear that if she doesn't see one soon, she can meet her demise.

She is about 8 years old, still seemingly healthy, very happy, and very lovable. My main thing is that she is vomiting mostly everyday. We take food away for 24 hours, she stops. We give it back to her, it starts up again.

Who would do the exam and help her out for little or no cost? I am very much in fear for her. I would appreciate any help anyone who knows anything could offer. Thank you very much.

By LP81 from Indy, IN

Answers

Many many times when cats vomit is is due either to hairballs, or the food they are eating. Hairball stuff is cheap, comes in a tube and is about $5. For the food, change up to a very expensive high quality one. Try the smaller 5# bags first, to see, but usually this will do the trick. Most cat foods are garbage, and the cats puke all the time. I buy 100# of cat food a week (neighbors dumped cats and I am stuck with the bills, and can only afford to spay so many at a time, ridiculous.) Anyways, I can not afford the best stuff for all these cats, and sometimes I do buy the cheapo to get me through, but they usually start puking again.

Right now, for some reason, Red Flannel brand is doing a great job for these cats. I believe it is a by product of Purina, says made for PMI nutrition, but anyways, this one is cheap, $16 for 20#, and works well. But I have kittens here I am trying to tame and place, and needed the best possible for them, so no diarrhea or puking. So choked and spent $33 for a bag of Solid Gold, this stuff is fabulous! Whenever I have a sick kitty, that is the food I buy, expensive but still cheaper than a vet bill.

Last, you can shop around for vets and find out who helps people who do not have enough funds right now. There are some out there, just have to call, make connections and find the right one.

I wish you and kitty the very best!

Dana

Does she vomit shortly after she eats, or at other times? Is it liquid,cat food, hair balls or what? What kind of food does she get,is it dry or wet & what brand?

It could be hair balls like suggested. We had 1 cat that had major constipation problems & the other would cough & throw up. We began giving them Iams hair ball remedy dry food(I think it's a pink bag) & that solved the problem.
Could be the food too. If you give her dry food, look at the ingredients-if the 1st ingredient is corn,get her something else tht has meat(like chicken) as the 1st ingredient-the other stuff is bad for them.

My old kitty for years, has had an occasional problem with throwing up shortly after eating. I don't know why, except maybe he eats too fast then drinks a bunch of water, but he'll eat & within 20 min or so he'll throw everything up.

Some cats gorge (overeat) and this causes them to vomit. Try small feedings throughout the day and see if that helps. Gorgers are really bad if they are fed "free choice" (food available at all times). You may also want look into raw feeding. There is good information on the internet and it is less expensive. Many cats who have constant indigestion clear up with raw feeding.

My kitty did the same thing and come to find out she had a tumor and it had gone all over her, she would eat and throw up. Try to get help for her as soon as you can.

Anonymous

I have the same problem, though I managed to borrow the money for an office visit. My cat who was a stray, I took her and her two 6 week old kittens in which she deposited on my doorstep 2 months ago.

The kittens are doing fine, but starting yesterday the mother is throwing up every time she eats. Now she won't eat. Plus she's had diarrhea. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but my concern is I won't be able to afford the treatment if it's anything serious.

That only leaves two options to me. Euthanisa which I probably can't afford either, or just taking her home and watching her waste away and die. I am so stressed and upset. I am a woman fighting cancer and this is not good for me. I feel for all you others that have the same problem.

My friend's dog got hit by a car. His leg is broken by his elbow but she can't pay the surgery amount of 2,000. What can she do to help her dog?

I have had my cat, Snuggles, for 12years and have never had any serious problems with her till now. She has been spayed and had shots. She has long hair and every year I go through the matting stage so I'm constantly brushing her. She has now started licking to the point that she is bald on her stomach. There seems to be a quarter size bump there. I have no income at all now and really need her to be seen, anyone know how I can deal with this. I'm trying my hardest to not let her lick the area. I love her, she is my one an only. I have not changed anything in her food, environment. I'm scared it may be something serious. Please help me asap.

Answers

Veterinarians devote many years and high costs, even go into debt, for training in college and medical school. They then must pay for their clinics, staff, etc., and also have to live and pay their expenses like the rest of us. So, there are very few "low-cost" vets. If you can't afford veterinarian care for your pet, then you can't afford a pet.

If you were ill or had an accident, you would expect immediate medical care and would probably pay for some or most of it yourself. I suggest you find a way to provide medical treatment now for your pet. The longer you wait the more difficult and expensive the problem will be. Your friend is suffering and needs help now.

Some Vets have a fund for animals whose owners can't pay for needed treatment. I would get on the phone and see if you can find one locally.My Vet does this and every time I am in there I drop a $20 in the jar. Many other folks do too. You may be able to barter some services (cleaning). Have a garage sale. Ask your friends and family to chip in $10 each. Most Vet visits are around $50 or$60. That might be enough to allow you to know what is going on and what can be done. Good luck to you and your baby.

I have a sick puppy and no money and it's been sick and throwing up for three days. I need to know if there's someone who could help this poor little puppy.

By Gina N.

Answers

Veterinarians devote many years and pay much money for training in college and medical school. They then must pay for their clinics, staff, etc., and also have to live and pay their expenses like the rest of us. So, there are very few "low-cost" vets.

Take your puppy to your local shelter and surrender it. It will be given compassionate care. In the future be sure to have funds for pet care available before you commit to a pet. No pet ever gets by without ever needing veterinary care.

I am sorry your puppy is sick. He can be surrendered to your local shelter and will receive care. But you will no longer own your dog or be able to make decisions about its' future. Don't get another pet until you can afford the Vet bills that inevitably come with pet ownership. It is not worth the heartbreak and suffering for your pet.

Where can I get affordable surgery for my dog? She needs TPLO on her left rear knee and our vet wants almost $3,800, with x-rays, surgery, and medications. She is almost 3 years old, a Staffordshire Terrier mix, and weighs about 57 lbs. We can't afford that much, and we filed bankruptcy so we can't apply for any type of credit. My wife has been out of work for over 4 years and is now on disability.

I want to get free or low cost shots for my 3 year old Yorkie. She needs all her shots and her nails cut. I have very little money.

I can't afford any payments until the first of the month, but my cat has been bitten by a Pit Bull and is really hurt. She's walking, but not eating, is sore, and won't eat. She's missing a tooth and her jaw is kinda hanging! I really need an angel to tell me what I can do. I can make payments and always pay on the first but I need to take her in now.

I have a Shitzu/Maltese puppy that has irritated eyes and pain. I'm on disability with no money, but my baby is in pain. I have treated him for earmites, but he has black stuff coming from his ears still. This has been ongoing for about 2 weeks. Where can I take him near Spanaway, Washington?

By MonchiLencha F.

My dog has hookworms, I believe, but I have no money right now. So where can I take him that will help me? I heard something about some kind of free pet insurance is that true? He's not doing so great and I can't lose him, he's part of my family.

By Patricia C

Answers

Check with your humane society. they know where the low cost Vet care is. You can also check with local dog rescues.

What makes you think your Dog has Hookworms if you have never consulted a Veterinarian.? and with no disrespect these are the circumstances responsible animal ownership must seriously consider before you become one.

My daughter's dog got hit by a car and I have no money right now. I can't let him die, that dog means the world to her. Can you please help me?

By Misty

Answers

Go to any vet...they will allow you to make payment arrangements in an emergency situation.

I don't know what state you live in but if you live near a veterinary school they will treat your baby for a fraction of the cost.

Is there any vet for little or no cost for cats? My Spirit is really breathing hard like her sides are caving in and she is coughing and has lost weight. I am very worried about her and she needs help.

By Janet B

Answers

I'm sorry about your situation. Have you tried contacting your local animal rescue orginazation? They might be able to recommend a vet they use at low cost if your income is low. I hope everything goes well.

Many Vets now will allow payments over a period of time. They will work with you if you dont have much to spend. Call around til you find a vet who will take payents. Dont take too long to do it. It sounds like your cat is in trouble and needs to be seen immediately.
In the future put aside a small amount each month (even if it is just $5) so you have something when you need it for your cat.

I am planning on adopting a bunny, and would like to have it spayed or neutered, so as to litter box train him or her. I am a senior and am on a fixed income. Any ideas?

I need to take my puppy to get her hernia removed, but I need to know of a cheap vet who accepts low income pet owners in the Bronx. Where can I go?

Please help, I've been searching all night. My 3 year old big baby Capone had a recent minor surgery to remove a large skin tag. They put a breathing tube down his throat. 5 days later his neck is swollen up like a balloon. I took him to another vet, they charged me 1200 to run tests and gave us antibiotics and pain meds saying it would go down within a week. We waited the week and he was getting worse, so in the middle of the night, scared, I took him to an emergency pet hospital. They gave me stronger antibiotics told me it looks like his traceal tube may have been damaged during his first surgery and sent me on my way after charging me over 500. He has continued to get worse so I took him back to emergency last night where they told me it will be another 2300 to run tests that would tell me exactly what's wrong, then they would give me another estimate of how much more to treat him.

I love my dog so much, but now I am tapped out. I filled bankruptcy last year. There's no way I'll be approved for CARE credit. I need help fast, time for my Capone is of the essence. I live in the IE (Inland Empire) in California. Please help, or point me in the right direction. I'm willing to drive anywhere.

By Gina K.

Answers

I am so sorry to read about your difficult situation.

1. You may want to try the Animal Assistance League of Orange County. 714-893-4393. www.aaloc.org They offer assistance with low-income pet owners with emergency vet care and food supplies.

2. You can also try the Orange County SPCA. 714-964-4445. www.orangecountyspca.org

3. You can also try Pet Assistance Foundation. 877-772-9738 www.petassistancefoundation.org They refer pet owners to a select group of vets who offer low-cost services to low-income households as well as those who are unemployed, seniors and/or disabled.

Hope this helps you and your baby.

I have a 10 month old red nose Pit that got hit by a car. I'm currently receiving SSi and have no money for a veterinarian. Please help.

By a.z

Answers

If your pet needs immediate care find your closest humane society and call them. Or you can go to humanesociety.org and type: trouble affording your pet into the search box and hit enter. It will give you a long list of ways to get assistence with food vet care and other pet expenses. Start now to put money aside for future Vet needs. Pets are not cheap.

Is there a free veterinary care clinic near Sunnyvale, CA for the unemployed?

By DT from Sunnyvale, CA

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

I have a 4 1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel that needs ear surgery. Is there anyone in MD that can offer assistance at a reasonable price or perhaps that will take payments? I have worked since I was 16 (now 59) and have been laid off from my job of 28 years due to downsizing. My boy needs his ears taken care of and I'm at the end of my rope. Can someone please help me?

By Mary Arafe from Sykesville, MD

Answers:

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Call your local Humane Society and ask them for referrals or even vouchers. You can also call local vets and see if your boy can receive care by an intern there. Our vet offers some lower-cost care when procedures are done by interns, always witnessed by the MD. Good luck to you and your boy! (03/10/2010)

By Tahloolabelle

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Does your husband work on cars? Can you or your husband build custom cages? Can you offer house cleaning or can you offer to work for 2 weeks or more cleaning pet cages or can you go into the vet and mop their floors for a month? These are just ideas, you'll need to come up with you own ideas. I would print a list of things you could do for the vet and include your phone number and e-mail and what your pet needs done. Then take (or send) your list of barter options and ideas around to every vet in your area and see if any of your local vets will trade services with you.

It would be better if you could take your pet in his crate with you and deliver these "Offers to Barter" (or lists of things you can do for the vet) around personally and not mail them in! This way you can develop a personal relationship with the vet's receptionist.

Also, you could offer to man a booth advertising or working for the vet at some of the Pet Fairs in the area that are done to get donations for the Humane Society and other county pet (free spay-neuter) agencies. Many vets don't have the time to go to these, but if they don't show up, sometimes the agencies will take them off of their free voucher list. This is how my vet got taken off of the free spay-neuter voucher list for our county, they worked so much that they didn't have the time to go to the fund raiser.

Also, contact the Humane Society in you area. Some have a fund to help animals.

* Important: You don't want this to cost you vet anything! So offer to pay the cost of the anesthesia and for any of his or her tools. You are bartering "only" for services! (I did this when I got my tooth crowned. I paid for the actual cost of the crown and bartered for the dentist's time so it cost me $300 instead of $1200. (03/10/2010)

By Cyinda

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

Is there a veterinary school nearby? Sometimes they will treat an animal for little or no cost if they are doing a research study. (03/11/2010)

By Julie

Low-Cost Veterinary Care

In Baltimore the local ASPCA just started a low cost clinic in May 2010. It's at www.hampdenpethealth.org the number is 410-400-WELL
(06/17/2010)

By Bunnyday

Load More