Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in California

Category Health
When looking for veterinarian services it helps to find a clinic you can afford. This page is about finding free or low cost pet clinics in California.

My dog has been having the runs and throwing up for a day in a a half now. I don't know what to do. I have no money to take her in to see a Dr. Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

While taking your dog to a vet would be the best solution and calling a vet for advice another good option, the third way to approach your situation might be to try some of the remedies suggested at www.thriftyfun.com/Remedies-for-a-Dog-With-Diarrhea...
It is essential to keep your pet hydrated whenever they have diarrhea. If you can't get your dog to drink water, try feeding it ice cubes, chicken or beef broth or wet (canned) dog food

A small amount (possibly 1 to 2 tablespoons, depending on the size dog you have) of canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling can help settle your dog's digestive system.

Best Answer

If you have an established relationship with vet, they should be able to give your their guidance on what to do based on your pup's history and size. Mine has email and phone consultations which are free to established clients. As long as you don't abuse it, it stays free.

Staying hydrated is critical and if your vet approves it, clear Pedilyte works well. When our boy gets sick and we have to do this, we use a syringe (no needle--just the plastic syringe)--draw up the amount the vet says and put it in the corner of his cheek while holding his mouth shut. He hates this, but it works.

The thing is I can't tell you how much, the vet gives doses based on the size of the pup. You don't want to OVER hydrate either as that can be just as bad as being dehydrated as if the dog is too sick it can put them into kidney failure.

If you don't have an established vet, you can try to call your local animal shelter or rescue and see if their vet can help with a reduced fee or offer telephone advice. Some do and some don't (either reduced free or free advice--it can't hurt to ask).

Prayers for healing. Please do not let this go on too long as depending on the size of the dog, diarrhea and vomiting can get out of control quickly and cause very serious issues.

Prayers for healing. Please post back with an update.

Best Answer

Normally these are the the first signs of Parvo which is very dangerous. Parvo can be very expensive to treat. You need to take the dog to the vet no matter what.

If you do not have money try to contact the animal control or a center in your area that is set up for animal adoptions. At times they have vets there that should be able to help you.

Best Answer

Try cooked white rice and boiled hamburg or chicken..(to help remove the fat).. Strain the meat and then mix the meat with the rice..feed dog the normal amount you would normally give. If this dies not work, you may need to seek out a vet at a reduced price clinic, perhaps call the ASPCA for help or suggestions. Maybe even call a local vet for suggestions.

My male kitty is nearly 2 years old. For about the past six months or so I have been keeping him indoors. He is not neutered. I am going to get him neutered, ASAP, the problem is he is very tricky and an escape artist. He is also one to roam and fight and comes home so beat up. Please do not judge, I love this animal very much and I do my very best to keep him protected.

However, his injuries (mostly lumps deep scratches) literally take him a couple of weeks to heal up and with other people in the home, he has gotten into the last two fights while injured. I think his paw is infected and has something stuck in it. It is swollen and he is limping and will not let me even look.

I am an unemployed single-mom. This is killing me to not be able to take him to the cat clinic and have him mended and medicated, and neutered! My question is: Does anyone know of a vet in the Pasadena, Arcadia, or surrounding San Gabriel Valley who will provide services for a very small amount of cash during first visit. I am willing to make payments, but they won't be much until I am working. Thank you for taking the time to answer, have a nice evening.

By Monique C.

Answers

Best Answer

Check with local cat rescues and see what they can offer. Also the Humane Society. Usually it is free or $20. Vets in the PNW offer "Care Credit" where you can charge the procedure and pay it off on time interest free. Many Vets have a fund for needed care for people who cannot pay. Call around and you should be able to find one. Good luck.

2 of my dogs got hit yesterday in a hit and run. One died, the other has broken legs. Does anyone know of low cost clinic or a vet that takes payments in Bakersfield California?

By Stacey Fiser

Answers

Best Answer

Contact your local humane society or shelter. They offer care but if you cannot pay for it, you will need to surrender your dog. and they will own it and make decisions on its' future. Not a great answer but it does prevent your dog from suffering further.

I need help. I think my dog broke her leg. I applied for care credit, but got denied. Can someone refer to someone please? I can't afford a vet. I'm desperately worried. No vets take payment plans. I live in the San Bernardino California area.
Thank you.

I need a low cost vet. My dog needs X-rays, but I can't afford much. I love my dog and don't want to cheap out, but I just can't afford hundred dollar X-rays plus additional expenses for whatever might be wrong

By Cindy from Riverside, CA

Answers

Vets pay for their training-college, medical school, and then pay for their clinics, staff, etc. They also have to live and pay expenses like the rest of us. So, there are very few "low-cost" vets. Suggest you find a way to get help for your dog now as she/he needs medical help.

You need to be able to afford a vet if you want to be a pet owner. Your local Humane Society will provide care for your dog at no cost to you. Then they will put the dog up for adoption. That might be your best bet. Letting your dog suffer wouldn't be a good choice.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old Pit Bull that is the love of our lives. I just got laid off from my job. I think she has a foxtail in her nose or something. She has no energy and is sneezing a lot. Her nose keeps running and she is really hot. We had to move and barely covered our rent. Normally I could afford a down payment, but this had to happen after getting laid off. Help! I am single mom in Modesto.

By Tracy

Answers

Try calling your local ASPCA and explain your predicament. Ask if they can recommend someone who will help.

Your Dog needs Veterinarian attention..

Where is a low cost or free pet clinic?

By Marina

Answers

Check your local Humane Society's Website. They usually have a list.

I am glad to have found this community. I am hoping someone will able to help me. I'm looking for a vet or a place were I can take loyal friend and companion, my baby girl, Gypsy. She has been with me 13 years and together we have been through many things. She is a miniature American Eskimo and has had issues with her hair falling out, with scabs and a smell. She has severe arthritis and her back legs just don't give anymore. It's so painful. I am having to pick her up carry her outside for her to relieve herself.

She is not active and just wants to sleep. She does not get up to eat sometimes and she is falling down over and over. I can't even cut her nails because of how much it hurts her. The vet I have says as long as they can help the pain they don't believe in putting her down.

Her hair is falling out more and more. I brushed it and it filled half of a trash bag. I love her dearly and I just can't see her like this anymore. I got her when she was 5 weeks old. I live in the San Fernando Valley. Can someone can tell me were they can put her to sleep and take away her pain. It must be for a low income pet owner. I would like to get some of her ashes. I would appreciate any information. I'm so sad, but I would be selfish just giving her medication for pain when in reality I know her health will just degenerate with time. Thank you.

I have a dog that needs surgery. She has a tumor. I wonder where I can take her. Does anyone know of a low cost clinic that I can go to? I can't afford to pay much. Thanks.

By Hugo from San Fernando Valley, CA

Answers

Try contacting your nearest Catholic Charities. I just got some help from my local one in Southern CA, which works with other animal groups. Good luck!

Don't just go to low cost Vet. Some are what you would call a butcher. Your dog could have more problems afterwards. Then you would have to go through more surgeries to correct. Please check out the Vet's background first.

You can call your local Humane Society or animal shelter and they can give you a low cost or sliding scale fee vet.

My 11.5 yrs old Crocker Spaniel got a serious ear infection on both ears; all the medication failed. The vet said the only solution is having a surgery called ear ablation and quoted 6k +. I am in a super panic because it is too expensive to afford. I am really sad when I look at my dog and known he is in pain. Do you know any surgeon in San Jose, CA who charges less, but is reliable too? Thanks a lot!

By V.C.

We have a Boxer and she's about 10 years old. Within the last few months she has grown some type of lump near her rear and it's getting bigger. We've taking her to a vet twice and both times they say keep an eye on it and they could x-ray it and say what it is, but to operate to have whatever removed would be expensive. She doesn't seem to be in any pain as of yet, but here's the problem the operation we could not afford as we live check to check and I very recently was laid off from my job. I was wondering if anyone has ideas as to where we can go near Riverside California. Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you.

My dog Kachow is a mix of Chihuahua, Dachshund, and Rottweiler. He is 7 1/4 yrs old and for the past few years hes been having problems walking as well as becoming paralyzed for several days each month. It has been getting worse and worse the past few months. The times he's paralyzed are lasting days longer and he is having a harder time walking after each bout of paralysis.

I have also noticed that he is getting meaner after each episode. He has become aggressive as well. He is constantly growling at my service dog every time she moves. If she's anywhere near him, wthin a foot or two, he's actually bitten her and threatens to bite her daily. I have moved my hand, my leg, or foot near him and several times he's bitten me. Any quick movement within his vicinity and he becomes higly agitated and aggressive.

I am on a very fixed income and am barely able to pay my household bills or buy their food for the month. Because of this I have been unable to take him to the vet for further testing. The one time I did take him the vet told me they need to do x-rays and and an MRI to be able to diagnose him correctly as well as treat him further. They also told me that he will be needing to have surgery for the problem if it's what they suspected it is. I was told that the surgery may not even be able to fix the problem completely and that it may not work at all and could possibly paralyze him.

Since then I have been stressing over what to do. I love my Kachow so very much and this situation has me heartbroken. I have finally come to terms with the fact that my baby needs to be relieved of his pain one way or another. So I have decided to put my baby down. My dilemma is that I cannot afford to pay to have the vet do it for me as he charges too much and will not take payments.

I have spoken to the ASPCA here in Fresno, CA and they will not allow me to stay with him when they give him the shot. I refuse to allow them to take him, place him in a cage until they have the staff and time to get around to euthanizing him. Then they will inject him and just leave him to die. I'm sorry, but I have heard the stories about them not giving enough meds to do the job right and how the animals suffer. I cannot have this happen to my baby.

Is there someone or somewhere that I can take him and stay with him when they give him the injection until he's gone. I'm begging. Please can someone help me? I have found only one vet I might b able to come up with the money for. They charge $50. The only thing is I have no way to get there as the vet is in Selma. I am disabled and don't drive. So far I have been unable to come up with the $50 let alone gas money to get there. If anyone can tell me of a free place to have him euthanized or who will allow payments here in Fresno, CA please let me know ASAP.

Does anyone know where a Pit puppy can be seen here in Stockton California? I believe the dog has a broken back leg/hip injury and it's owner can not afford to take the puppy to a vet hospital. I wrapped it with an ace bandage for now, but the poor thing can't walk. He literally just folds when we tried to stand him on all fours. Thank you for any advice you can share.

Pam for Blu Boy

Answers

Get the puppy to a no kill shelter where it can get help. If not treated right away injuries like the puppy has cannot be helped.

I have a 6 month old German Shephard puppy I got off Craigs list. Her back leg is bothering her. I need it x-rayed, but I am on a fixed budget and money is very tight. I live in the San Jose area. I am a senior also. Is there anywhere I can go?

Thanks for your help.

I'm living in my van and can't afford much, but am willing to pay some amount. My dog needs 2 molars removed.

By Pat from Gilroy, CA

Answers

Very difficult as Vets have to pay their bills also. You can call the local vets in the Gilroy and San Jose areas to find possibilities. Also, VIP Pet Care has a clinic in San Jose that offers walk in services inside a Pet Food Express store. They will examine, give shots, etc., but do not handle dental problems. You can call them to see if they can make a recommendation in the area.
800.427.7973.

Check with local Humane Society and ASPCA organizations; they may know of someone who can help. For instance when I had a kitten I rescued, I called them to see where I could take him for a low cost, because I was low income. At the time, there happened to be a veterinary clinic that operated on a sliding income scale, so you paid what you could afford, dependent on income. Can't hurt to call around. Bless you for wanting to take care of your pup, and for not abandoning him because of your current situation.

My dog needs surgery. She broke her front leg Sunday and I need a specialist according to the vet I took her to. I need a low cost specialist. Does anyone know where I can find one ASAP? Do you know if the specialist surgeon will let you make payments?

By Stephanie

My pet may have broken his leg. Where is there a low cost/no cost vet?

By Jimmy from Riverside, CA

Answers

I don't know what the charges would be, BUT the finest vet I ever used was Michael Butchko in Rubidoux. He was my go-to vet for over 15 years. I really wish I lived closer now so that I could use him. Have you spoken to anyone about taking payments? Good luck on that!

I am a senior on Social Security. Can you please help me find low cost veterinary care in or near Tracy, CA.
Thank you.

My little dog is having a hip or patella issue and is just starting to limp. I don't have a lot of extra spending money so I was wondering where I could get a low-cost exam and x-ray to determine the cause of his limp before it gets worse.

Any thoughts?

I need to find a vet who will accept payments or a free clinic for a life threating surgery. My smooth Chihuahua has a herniatic cyst and it's getting bigger by the day. Last year I rescued her after she was mauled by a Pit Bull. I luv her so much and don't want her to die. Please help me find a vet. The places I've called won't help due to my credit. I'm in Stockton California 95205.

By Martha

Answers

Try your humane society to find low cost Vets. Local dog rescues can sometimes help. get creative maybe a local Vet would barter with you, you could trade cleaning chores for Vet work. Consider a second job. My local Vet has a jar on his counter for contributions for Vet care for folks that have hit a rough patch. Get on the phone and good luck.

My Pekinese, Mojo it seems has to have 3 teeth pulled. Went to a new vet and was told this procedure was about $650. I can't afford this since I'm on medical disability, was laid-off as director 6 yrs ago. My two dogs are the only precious creatures that keep my physical pain in check. Please offer suggestions, referrals, or ideas. Thanks

By Chris P.

Answers

Call your humane society. Many offer low cost services. Check with different local Vets. Some have funds for this kind of thing. Many offer "care credit" a no interest loan that you can pay off in installments. Some Vets take payments. Also check with local dog rescues. They often know of low cost Vet care. Nearly any dental work will be in the $500 range at full price. Good luck!

Load More

Pets HealthMay 6, 2013
🍀
🌻
🐰