Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

I had all my teeth out in Jan 2014, lower and upper. My dentist told me to go to him on the 8th week exactly to get impressions made for dentures, I did this and he took them. Two weeks later, I went in and they were made but did not fit properly. He took them for another 8 days or so and did the cutting down, etc. So in total, I waited for 16 weeks before he eventually gave them to me.

The top set are totally no problem at all. They fit perfectly and he waited until the gums had gone a bit harder. I can wear them without any problems, no fixing gooey mess, etc. The bottom ones are so painful I can't do it. He told me they would take a long time to harden and it seems he is right.

However, I found that Medijel gel works really well as it numbs the area. I get it from the pound shop, BTW. It is quite expensive from a chemist. I now put in the bottom set for a few hours a day. You really have to wait until the gums are healed. Yes, I did get shards of tooth coming out all over the gums after the op. Keep on trying and don't give up. If our Grannys did it we can, and I am 47. They got so thin with acid erosion that they were loose. It is not great but keep on going and if they are not tight, go back and sort it out.

Sorry this is long but it proves that persistence pays off. Go get medijel gel and rub it around the gums every few hours. When it wears off, take them out and then have a rest . Good luck peeps, cos it will get better. I ate mashed up stuff for 16 weeks but, hey, I lost weight.

Having had dentures for over 40 years I've learned a few tricks. Such as using an emery board to file down a little nub. Be careful not to over do it. My dentist recently gave me a "slap on the head, why didn't I think of that".

For the first time I had to have a full bottom denture. My dentist said it would take awhile to get used to them. If they start to hurt place them in a Tupperware bowl and put in the freezer. He's amazing! I had no problems and am eating anything.

Source: My dentist

To help prevent sores, make sure you brush the inside of your dentures. The more food built up onto them, the more sores you'll get in your mouth. You have to keep them clean to help prevent sores. Some stores sell a brush specifically for dentures, it reached into those spots a normal toothbrush can't reach.

For pain, you can put some diluted clove bud oil on them. I used it when I first got mine 7 years ago and now if I happen to get a sore. My mom just got a top denture and is using it to help her pain. She takes a small dropper and puts it at the top of her dentures so it seeps in without her needing to take them out. Clove bud oil numbs skin and gums very well. I've put it in water to numb the pain from a burn and my husband uses a drop when he's removing his ingrown toenails.

I have worn full dentures for many years. I found that I cannot have anything covering my upper hard palate (roof of my mouth). I always have the upper portion of my denture cut out in a U shape. Some dentists say that the upper denture will not hold in as well. But it is better to have no pain. No one else I know ever had this problem, but if you do, this is the answer!

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

Answers

Best Answer

Awwwww.....sounds awful!
You probably have to break them in slowly by not wearing them all day until your gums harden to accept them BUT you should also tell your dentist in case the fit isn't exactly right. They can test for sore spots rubbing and causing your pain!
I wish you the best for your bravery in making that decision!
:-)

Best Answer

I'd definitely talk to the dentist and also see if something like Ora-Gel would help.

A few months ago, I had problem with a tooth that finally needed a root canal, but until I could have that, I started swishing whiskey (and spitting it out) around the tooth. (I'd always heard that rubbing whiskey on a baby's gums would help with teething, from my grandmother.) It worked-- made the whole side of my mouth numb.

I even carried a dropper bottle full of whiskey with me to church that week. I called it "my flask."

My husband told me I needed to dilute it, so I did, but before it was over, I was swishing it full-strength. Surprisingly, I found that I didn't dislike the taste of whiskey as much as I'd thought I would.

We'd had a bottle of Crown Royal that somebody gave us years ago, and neither of us drink that much, so I used a cup of it once for cooking a Thanksgiving turkey and now have found another use for it.

Best Answer

My dentist recommended putting the dentures in the cup they gave me and put them in the freezer for awhile. When you put them back in it feels so good, and helps with any swelling that might be happening. Sucking on a pop sickle or ice chips help too while your waiting.

Best Answer

You need to check with the dentist to see if you have an infection in your lower gums. They should not be as painful as this. While you are there you can ask him/her to check the fit. There are some wonderful pain relief solutions here; let's hope that soon you won't be needing them!

I had my remaining upper teeth pulled and immediately had dentures put in on 2/5/2015, 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am getting many ulcers on the front of my upper gums and now the dentist said she thinks they need to go in and shave down the bone for the dentures to fit properly. She said I would have to go to an oral surgeon to have it done. Has anyone ever had to have this done and what can be expected?

By Sandra Lynn H.

Answers

Best Answer

I agree. Get a second opinion. The denturist that fitted my mom's dentures said that the bones will shrink considerably over the space of a year, and that dentures will need to be adjusted accordingly. Since yours have only been in for three weeks, it seems premature to be doing further oral surgery. Surely adjustments can be made to the dentures!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Thank goodness my dentist does all an oral surgeon does with just Novocain and gas. He just shaved down my bones because they push through and if it is not smooth along the gum the denture will just hurt and not fit, so it's rare but it does happen. I just had my gum bones shaved down and I can feel what a difference it's going to make. The denture has to fit your roof from the gums, hope this helps someone.

I don't have any gums left from wearing dentures and I just broke the bottom plate before Christmas. So I didn't eat Christmas, but had to the next day. It's been 9 days and my gum is so sore on one side. I'm just wondering if any one knows how long it will take to heal. I can't afford to see a dentist. Thank you.

By Sharon from Knox, TN

Answers

Best Answer

You poor thing! First, swish with a solution of very warm salt water, but not too salty; the warmth will increase circulation and promote healing. Use a nice heating pad on your cheek/jaw. Aloe vera juice (food grade) though drying is also "natures bandaid" and will assist in healing--just swish and spit. In general, increase your vitamin C intake, for healthy gums; you may be deficient, which may have caused your condition. Eat nourishing liquids with olive oil and soups for sustenance, as well as juices and you will not feel deprived; add pieces of bread in your soup. Good luck and feel better soon.

Best Answer

I have had the same dentures for 35 years. When the bottom gum gets sore or gets a small cut from something I ate, I use a small amount of a product called Benzodent on that area of the plate. It looks like a denture adhesive, and helps hold the plate in place while numbing it at the same time. May have to use it for several days depending on how bad the area is.

Best Answer

I see others have given remedies for the pain, but you also said you had broken your bottom plate. They sell products at most pharmacies that you can use to repair your plates. I can't remember what it is called. Ask and I'm sure they can help you. You might even want to make a few phone calls and ask first. I hope you are better soon.

What can I do about problems with ulcers on my gums? I cannot wear my dentures because of the ulcers. I have been back several times to my dentist and he puts some kind of solution on the ulcers, but they still hurt all the time.

By Steve L.

Answers

Best Answer

I read somewhere that you can put dentures in the freezer. Then that will soothe the irritation on your gums when you put them in.

Best Answer

Try oragel. Also open up a vitamin E capsule [the gel kind]and dab vitamin E oil on ulcers to help heal them.

Start drinking rooibos tea. It comes in 24 teabags to a package and is found in specialty tea section. Celestial seasonings and Tetly make this non-caffeinated tea. It comes in vanilla, pear and pomegranate flavors.

Cathy from MA

My husband got his top teeth pulled and dentures put in on the same day. We are on day 3. He went to the dentist yesterday and the doctor took them out for the first time and gave him a Novocain shot when he put them back in. My husband took them out last night and it was OK, but this morning was terrible. When he put them back in it just about killed him. He is a strong man, but he cried; then I cried. What can I do to help?

By shannon05

Answers

Best Answer

If he can get through about two weeks or less of this, he will be fine. The gums have to have time to toughen up. What helped for me was Ibuprofen and gum numbing gel. Put the gel on to numb the gums long enough to get the dentures in or out until he gets used to them. Good luck - I know it hurts but it will stop, I promise.

How long will my dentures hurt my gums? It's been 2 weeks since I had my teeth pulled and the dentures put in.

By HRBLOCKGIRL from FL

Answers

Best Answer

Several weeks, until the swelling goes down. However, look for a product by the name of benzodent. This was recommended by my dentist several years ago, to use on my gums until they became adjusted to the dentures. Ask your druggist they stock it, may be a"behind the counter" item. Good luck.

Best Answer

You should have some adjustments come with the purchase of the dentures. I get 3 FREE adjustments with mine. Don't suffer through, call the dentist.

First let me point out that I have been wearing full dentures for 43 years without any real problems. The dentures that I have been wearing for the past 22 years (yes, the same dentures). I just had a new set of full dentures made at a VA clinic. After going through the entire procedure (9 visits) the problem is as follows.

The dentures look really good. After some adjustments the upper dentures work good and are causing no problems. The real problem is the new lower dentures. They are at least of 1 inch longer in the rear. I cannot eat or drink anything with these lower dentures in. I have had them readjusted by the dentist several times. They cause pain in the rear of my mouth and continually make feel like I am gagging.

I have explained this several times to my dentist and the same answer is always provided. It takes time to adjust, keep wearing them no matter what. Deal with the pain and in time they will fit without any pain. I feel like I am putting on a size 18 shoe when I only require a size 11. I know my dentist is tried of me complaining about the lower dentures not working. I have considered trying to trim the length of the lower dentures since the dentist won't do it. I know I should not try to do this, but it seems the only way I am going to be able to wear these new lower dentures. Any suggestions on what can be done or how to trim the dentures myself? Thanks for any advise that can be provided.

By James P.

Answers

Best Answer

I have an upper plate. I kept telling the dentist the palate was too thick and I couldn't speak or sing without a very noticeable lisp - he flat ignored me. After two years of trying to get him to do something (he's a pretty good dentist otherwise) I finally found a new dentist. The new one listened - I can now speak and sing again, what a relief!

You may need to do the same thing. You write the VA did your current set and I seem to recall from my time in the US that you can request a different VA dentist. Go through the ombudsman if needed because your current dentist is not listening to you - he's trying to get you to squeeze your size 18 into a size 11 (excellent analogy!) and that's just wrong!

And thank-you for your service to the people of the US!

Are gums supposed to throb after having all teeth pulled? I had all my teeth pulled out and they immediately put my dentures in and all I can say is I had 3 days of extreme pain. When I went back into the office on Monday they fixed the dentures and I had immediate relief.

The problem was I was back in that office 3 times within one week. I finally got relief when they put a soft liner on them, but now I deal with gums throbbing. Is that normal? I took antibiotics, prescription mouth rinse, rinse 3-4 times a day with warm salt water, and take 1,000 mg of Vitamin C.

It has now been 2 weeks and I am still on soft foods, but have managed to add some mashed potatoes and noodles along with the pudding, yogurt, and ice cream. I am still having problems with the gums aching most of the time. Can someone tell me if this is normal and how much longer will they hurt? They told me to wear them 24/7 for 2 weeks although I take them out to rinse my mouth and today makes 2 weeks. I can't wait to keep them out all night tonight to give my mouth a rest.

By DMBDD

Answers

Best Answer

You should go back to the dentist to adjust them. It is their job to help fit them right. That is what they are getting paid for.

My first set were done that way and since they were a ways away I went back 2 times, then saw that they just ground down the hurtful spots. There was one little spot left and I used an emery board to touch it up.

I wore those dentures for over 15 years with no problems. And no other adjustments.

Best Answer

1) Of course you are going to be in pain, you have a mouth full of open wounds. It will take a while for full healing.

2) It is typical for a temporary denture to be put in you mouth after several extractions. You are not supposed to take it out because doing so can cause problems, like dislodging the blood clot forming in each socket that enables healing to take place, and if you are in pain now, you do not want dry socket on top of everything else. Your gums are swollen.

3) Leaving the dentures in will also help the gum line to form into the shape of the denture. As it heals, the socket will fill with bone. If it conforms to the shape of the inside of the denture, you will have fewer problems being fitted later.

4) Getting the temporary or permanent denture adjusted is normal, and it takes differing amounts of visits to get it right for different people. Everyone's mouths have differing anomalies that must be worked around, some are in places that are more sensitive than others. How well you follow your dentist's/surgeon's advice will also have different effects on the healing process.

5) If you are having this work done after a trauma (death of a spouse, etc), you may have additional physical problems to deal with. For some reason, a trauma affects the healing process and a person's emotional state exasperates problems.

6) Everyone handles pain differently and some handle it better than others. I minor problem for one person can drive another up the wall.

7) Your general health can also effect your overall capacity to heal or the amount of pain you may feel after surgery. If you have a problem with inflammation, your healing time might take a lot longer and you may be in more pain.

8) As with any extraction, limit all sucking action through straws, on popsicles, etc. Doing so can cause dry socket - something you do not want.

Several other things can cause problems, but remember, in the overall picture, it is only a few weeks and a small period of time in your life. Getting dentures isn't easy for most people - that's why we encourage children to take care of their teeth. Sometimes though, no matter what you do, this inconvenience falls on you shoulders. Take care and remember it will get better.

I had all of my teeth pulled and had almost 2 months of healing time before the fitting process for my dentures. I have my dentures now after several fittings, but my top plate is so painful I can't bear to put them in. I have 2 raw spots on both sides and there's a gap between the roof of my mouth and the dentures so I can't talk. Please can anyone tell me of any relief I can get for this pain?

By Renee

Answers

Best Answer

You need to go back to the dentist and he/she needs to give you a proper fit. Obviously they did not do a good initial job and they need to be responsible for correcting these issues.

It's been one week since all my teeth were pulled and I was fitted with dentures. When will I be able to close my mouth properly?

By Jana

Answers

Best Answer

When they pulled all my teeth and gave me my dentures the same day it was about 2 weeks before I could keep them in for any length of time. Wear them as long as you can then take them out for a bit, then put them back in for a bit. You have to remember you just had teeth pulled so your gums will be swollen for awhile. But the more you can wear them the faster you will heal. I know that sounds strange but it's true, and before you know it you will have no problems. Also in between times make sure you soak them to lessen the chance of infection. Hope this helps!

Best Answer

I agree with RedHatter and Chef - you really should speak with your dentist if you are having trouble closing your mouth a week after having the teeth out and the dentures in.

While your mouth is likely still a bit swollen from the removal, the immediate insertion of the new plate(s) should have helped keep the swelling to a minimum and the fit should be tight enough to close your mouth comfortably over the plate(s). The dentist will have checked this when he/she fitted the new plate(s).

However - you don't define 'close my mouth properly' and I am wondering if you are experiencing what I did when I was getting used to having something artificial in my mouth.

I felt the same way about my upper plate - I just didn't feel I could naturally close my mouth after being fitted (same day as the removal), I felt I could if I 'forced' myself but I felt I really had to think about it to get the lips to close and the jaw to come together comfortably.

It's hard to explain the feeling but basically because these weren't my 'born-with' front five teeth (I lost mine to an impact injury) the plate felt huge and differently shaped than the originals; dang thing just felt wrong!

And that feeling made it really hard to believe my mouth was closing properly.

My dentist warned me this might happen and how to cope with it. So I went back and looked at pics of me from before. Doing that reassured me the new teeth were really exactly like the 'born-with' originals. Many of the before pics were profile, non-smiling and smiling, candid from several angle pics so I had a good selection of befores - I used a hand mirror and the bathroom mirror to check the after appearance was the same as before.

My dentist was right that it was mostly psychological in other words, stimulated by the weird sensation of something 'foreign' in my mouth. To be honest it took me about six months to really get myself comfortable with having this upper plate.

If what I've related doesn't apply to what you're going through, you really need to contact your dentist to be re-seen. Please update to let us know how it works out!

It has been one week since they pulled all my teeth and fitted me with dentures. I am in so much pain I can't stand it. So I took the bottoms out. My top ones are fitting OK and there's only a little pain, but those bottoms, wow. I can't take it. I heard that you're not supposed to take them out. Why? I go back to the dentist tomorrow. I'm going to see if they can make them fit better, or is it too late? Did I mess it up by taking them out?

By B. Carter

Answers

Best Answer

Call your dentist. It often takes a couple adjustments before they are comfortable. Sometimes there may be a rough spot in the lining that is causing pain. I recently had my lower denture relined, and when I got them back there was one place that was very rough and caused pain whenever I bit down. I went back and they sanded the roughness out, and they are now more comfortable than they have ever been. I didn't even have to make an appointment. I just dropped by the office and they worked me in. Only took about 5 minutes.
Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

It takes about two weeks for your gum tissue to toughen up from being rubbed on constantly. Use some Oragel to numb the area until you get used to it. It will go away, I promise.

2 days ago I had my bottom teeth extracted and the surgeon immediately put the lower dentures in. It's the 3rd day now and I have ulcers everywhere in the lower part of my month. I haven't taken the dentures out like I was told, but the sores are getting worse. The dentures are way too large. Any suggestions?

By karenmnabp1

Answers

Best Answer

Return to the dentist immediately. If anything, the dentures should feel very tight. The sores are from the loose fitting dentures rubbing when you talk or eat. They should fit very snugly.

I had all my teeth pulled and dentures put in a little over a week ago. I have been able to take out my top plate and put it in with no problem. I finally got my bottom plate out last night and now I can't get either of them back in. It hurts way too bad! Any suggestions on making it a little less painful for getting them back in?

By chellbell from Duncan, OK

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Try using some of the teething products for teething babies as this will slightly numb the affected area hopefully making it bearable to put your upper and lower plates in. My mother used to also use clove oil on a small gauze pad and gently wipe her gums with it as it has a numbing effect on the gums, doesn't taste all that great but it does work. Just be cautious if your gum's are not completely healed as it could sting with the clove oil, but you should be just fine using the teething aid for babies. I hope this will help and get you on your way with the least amount of pain. Also try putting your plates in the freezer. Make sure they are completely dry and put them in for about 5 - 10 minutes then put your plates in as the cold will reduce swelling and also felt a cool relief as well. You have my sympathies for mouth pain as it is horrible!

I have a partial denture and as the day goes on my tongue and upper palate get a burning sensation and my tongue gets very sore. I've had tests to see if I'm allergic to the acrylic, but these proved to be negative. Please help, it's so uncomfortable.

By Julie

Answers

Best Answer

I wonder if it could be the denture adhesive, if you use any. Ask your dentist or denturist.

I just had my bottom dentures relined about 6 hours ago and my gums are so sore I can't put them in my mouth. What can I do ?

By Catherine

Answers

Best Answer

I just sent in a hint about this very thing. I've had my top denture for years and never had much problem. My bottom teeth started losing bone due to osteoporosis, I could wiggle my teeth. The bottoms were the worse, you use your jaw for everything. My dentist is a doll, told me if they hurt to put them in their cup (no water) and set in freezer for a while. Keep repeating until you get past that painful part. The cold felt so good, and helped with swelling. Hope this helps!

I have had these for over 5 years and they still do not fit right. They are painful in the upper right, like they are poking into my palate. I keep having them adjusted, but that only lasts a couple days then it hurts to wear them again. What can I do? The dentist has run out of options!

By JCH from Lincoln, NB

Answers

Best Answer

Did you have your teeth removed 5 years ago and these are your first dentures/partial? Sometimes a tiny bone chip is missed or breaks loose during or after surgery. The denture rubs against it and it causes pain. Ask your dentist if this could be the problem. I'd check with another dentist for a second opinion. He could find something that was missed.

I just had 26 teeth pulled on Wednesday and wore the dentures the first night and then took them out the second night. Now there seems to be little pieces of bone coming out of the extraction sites and it hurts too touch even with my tongue and I can't get my dentures in. What can I do?

By sr

Answers

Best Answer

This happened to me when I had the same procedure. If you have talked with your dentist and have been assured this is normal (because it is and happens when you have a large number of teeth extracted at the same time), the best thing to I found to do was to apply a denture medication (Oral-base, oral-gel, etc) and wait it out.

I had what was left of my teeth pulled almost two months ago and I finally got my dentures yesterday. They fit great and I have no problems wearing them. They don't hurt to wear, but taking the top plate out or putting it in, there's a very raw spot on my gums that just kills me. I'm okay wearing my dentures, but how do I take them in or out without so much pain?

By Val M.

Answers

Best Answer

I got my top dentures last Sept. and I had to keep going back to the dentist to adjust them. It is now May and he has them just about right. Pain going back all the time but that's what you paid all that money for. My dentist doesn't mind. He wants to make them right.

A week ago I got all my top teeth pulled. I have pain when I put my dentures in and when taking them out. I have sores or blusters on my top gums that really hurt. I can't stand the pain. Will soft liners help with the pain? They are not sealing good. If they don't stay in that good are they? What can I do with these problems?

By AB from AR

Answers

Best Answer

Get some numbing gel for gums and use it enough to get your dentures in. Use a little Fixodent or something to hold them in place so they wont move around. Take some Motrin if it hurts and eventually your gums will toughen up and they will not hurt you anymore. It may take a couple of weeks. Good Luck

I had my teeth pulled 2 weeks ago. I put dentures in for 24 hours after my teeth got pulled. Now I have sore gums when I put my teeth in. The teeth are all adjusted. What can I do to cut the pain?

By Tom

Answers

Best Answer

I also had my teeth pulled 2 weeks ago. Ibuprofen (prescription strength - It lasts much longer than 800Mg over-the-counter), has totally diminished my pain, and shockingly makes a notable decrease in swelling. Rinsing frequently, rinse very, very gently, as to not dislodge blood clots). However, in my experience, I have found I must rinse with plain water before replacing my teeth, or I find my gums are very, very sensitive and hurt so badly. (I haven't heard this from anyone else, so it may be just a personal thing, but worth a try at least!)

I do saltwater rinse at least 3 times a day, immediately following with a plain water rinse but after I started rinsing with plain water to remove the salt, I haven't had the pain or sensitivity. It truly feels better when my teeth are in. I take them out only long enough to brush.

Also, if your teeth don't fit securely, using a powder adhesive is a miraculous way to decrease pain. It prevents the denture from moving and irritating your sore gums. (obviously, if they don't fit securely, you should call the dentist, but during the time your gums are shrinking and you're waiting for the next reline, the adhesive powder can become your best friend! Try using the minimal amount to do the job, I looked for tips online how to use the powder correctly). Sorry, this was so long but hope it helps:)

Load More