Cut-Away Top Denture to Avoid Pain

I have worn full dentures for many years. I found that I cannot have anything covering my upper hard palate (roof of my mouth). I always have the upper portion of my denture cut out in a U shape. Some dentists say that the upper denture will not hold in as well. But it is better to have no pain. No one else I know ever had this problem, but if you do, this is the answer!

I never heard of cutting out a part of the upper denture! I would be afraid it wouldn't help then I'm stuck with them. How much of it is cut off? I understand the "U" shape but how much of your own palate is exposed?

Did you have your dentist cut out the u shape? I have this problem. I can't wear my dentures more than 4-5 hours before feeling miserable. I've been wearing them for 2 years and I hate them.

I have worn an upper and lower partial for 10 years. I got a new set 3 months ago. Im ok with the bottom but they made the upper go way back over hard palate and onto soft palate.

It hurts. I have filed it back to some degree myself w good acrylic nail file. Finding a new dentist. I have heard of this u shaped upper denture before. Never knew the palate could hurt so much