Dentures Are Hurting My Gums

How long will my dentures hurt my gums? It's been 2 weeks since I had my teeth pulled and the dentures put in.

By HRBLOCKGIRL from FL

Best Answer

Several weeks, until the swelling goes down. However, look for a product by the name of benzodent. This was recommended by my dentist several years ago, to use on my gums until they became adjusted to the dentures. Ask your druggist they stock it, may be a"behind the counter" item. Good luck.

I just had my denturec relighn but when i take them out my upper lip is swollen inside what an i do .and when i have them in they hurt.

Best Answer

You should have some adjustments come with the purchase of the dentures. I get 3 FREE adjustments with mine. Don't suffer through, call the dentist.

Benzodent is not a behind the counter product. Just check the dental aisle. It is in an orange-ish box. Even with it, you should have the dentist make an adjustment. I am surprized he didn't tell you to come in if necessary when you got the dentures. I had two small adjustments one week after I got mine, on each side of the lower plate. The only trouble I have had since is when a chip or piece of popcorn makes a tiny cut. I use benzodent till the cut is healed. This was 30 years ago, I have the same dentures and can eat anything, raw carrots, apples, corn on the cob, etc. Hope you get some relief.

My husband took some time getting used to his. There was a big adjustment after the swelling had gone away, and then as your gums continue to change you will need smaller adjustments. It takes a while!

Ditto to all the above advice. Don't use any of the paste and adhesives that are sold in drug stores, markets, etc. They are made with 'stuff' that is bad for you! Ask your dentist. Your gums will be swollen for a while. At least you can grin and eat! enjoy your new lease on life!

It took a couple of weeks for me to get used to mine, but WHATEVER you do, don't give up and stop wearing them! It WILL get better and you won't even know they are there. However, you may need an adjustment. Good luck!

I am getting upper dentures at the end of July. I am super scared because of everything I am reading. I have read that within 3 months there will be tons of bone loss and my face will change. That I won't be able to eat steaks and strawberries (why strawberries I dunno). Is this true? What can I expect the 1st couple of months and the next several years?

Sorry to kinda change the subject HRBLOCKGIRL but I thought you ming be curios too.

Hi, I know what your going through, don't give up & leave them in, someone my say to you, take them out at nite, cause you take your shoes off at nite, but don't listen to that bull, leave them in. I had lots sore spots& even burning in my gums, it was awful for a long time. I made my mind up to stop the paste stuff, & just do it natural, that paste stuff I went through so much,its awful. Also try peroxide to gargle, it helps a lot, also the benzodent is wonderful for the sore spots. Hey good luck you will like them down the road.

I have had pain in the beginning until the swelling went down. But, I still can't wear them any longer than four hours. I have upper and waiting for surgery on four teeth on bottom. I totally hate the whole idea. But, mostly hate how I look. It has only been three weeks that I have been wearing upper now.