Wearing New Dentures

Getting accustomed to false teeth takes some patience. This guide is about wearing new dentures.

Getting your mouth accustomed to false teeth can be uncomfortable. This guide is about remedies for pain from wearing dentures.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about eating after getting new dentures. Eating after getting new dentures can feel like a whole new experience.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting used to wearing dentures. Getting used to wearing dentures takes time.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I got immediate dentures (top and bottom) Friday after having 19 teeth extracted. It is now Wednesday and I still can't close my lips properly. When should I be able to? I went yesterday for adjustments for sore spots and was told I am healing well and my bite is fine. I am just really embarrassed that I can't close my lips and if I force them closed I look like I have a huge wad of chew in my bottom lip and my top looks the same!

By April

Answers

Best Answer

The permanent ones you will receive later should fit perfectly, but the ones you wear right now are just temporary ones.

Best Answer

Tell your dentist they need to shave the top part of the gums down there's too much up there that you can't close your mouth.

I just got my 2nd pair of upper dentures, but there is only 12 teeth on it and my previous ones there were 14. My problem is I've had them realigned 3 times. But when eating I keep biting the back of my tongue.

I asked why there was only 12 teeth and the dentist wasn't sure why, but I'm thinking this may be the reason for my problem. Also I now have a noticeable lisp which is embarrassing. What can be done to correct this? Can I request them to make them right?

By MC

Answers

Best Answer

Did you pay for the new dentures? Not that it matters, but sometimes the dentist's staff will be less diligent - clearly the lab made a mistake and your dentist should be fixing the error!

No-one should put up with faulty dentures, especially ones that have come back minus two teeth and with the added 'bonus' of making you lisp. Telephone to the office and tell them you are extremely distressed, and need the problem fixed 'yesterday'.

I had a similar problem (lisp) and it wasn't until I reminded the dentist and staff I'd paid for those out of my pocket and wasn't satisfied to have a lisp at my age that they fixed the upper plate. He had the nerve to say 'Oh sorry, I thought you were one of the pay-scale patients'. Oh brother did I let him have it for that one - No-one should be made to accept poor dentistry based on low-scale payments!

I moved countries, I now live in the UK. Truthfully it's the same here, and if my British dentist ever pulls that less-than-his-best on me, I'll pitch a major fit!

I'm getting all my top teeth pulled and my insurance only covers one pair of dentures so I will have to wait for my gums to heal before I get dentures. How long does it take for gums to heal? I can't remember if the dentist said 4 weeks or 4 months.

How many hours a day should I leave my new dentures in? I had new dentures and extractions on the same day and am having a lot of pain in my ear.

By Dolorita from Joliet, IL

Answers

Call your dental office and explain the problem.

I have no experience with this particular problem, but whenever I've had something medical done, I don't hesitate to call my doctor's office with questions. They have your records and can give you the best advice, and that's what they're there for. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Contact dentist. Have had husband, father and friends do this. They left them in so the tissue would not swell around the teeth and then not fit. Take out from your mouth and rinse with salt water often, wash the teeth and then put back in.

Please continue to see your dentist to assure the proper fit of your dentures, even after the initial adjustment is over. My Mom wore the same set of dentures for decades, until the chewing surface wore away and was flat. She could no longer chew. When she went for replacement dentures, she could not be fitted properly. Her bottom gum had adjusted it's self to fit around her old dentures. She is now well advanced in years and has to eat pureed food because she can not be fitted for a lower plate.

Keeping them in will keep the gums from swelling too much. New dentures usually need to be adjusted several times. After the gums have healed, they will continue to change shape for a while and you will need to have your dentures adjusted accordingly. Your dentist knows this so don't be afraid to keep asking for an adjustment - he is expecting it.

Yes it is very painful now, but mouth wounds do heal fairly quickly.

Definitely keep them in during the daytime, but call your dentist asap. When mine were new, my dentist said that keeping them in gave him a better take on precisely where adjustments needed to be made. It took me about four trips ( and twice as many days of discomfort) before the fit was absolutely right.

As others have posted, don't be ashamed to make a pest of yourself rather than to grin and bear it--your dentist expects your calls! Also: always go with what your dentist says, but ask about whether they should only be taken out at night for fifteen minutes of soaking for cleaning or left out all night. Mine said that a thorough cleaning can be done in fifteen minutes, but that it was a healthier choice to take the teeth out all night to give the gums and jawbone a rest, vanity be damned. :0

I learned that dentures, when left out, will cause fit problems for patients in a hospital. So, contact the dentist, feel better, and get them re-adjusted if need be!

I just got 5 upper teeth extracted. I can't seem to eat anything without pain. How do people do it? I have to go back to my dentist May 10, 2010. He will make my upper teeth then I bring them to the oral surgeon, he will then remove the last 5 uppers and put my dentures in. How long does it take to get the dentures made? Does this mean I will still be waiting for teeth after May 10th? I just don't understand.

By Christine from Hamilton, Ontario

Answers

It depends on the dentist and the individual. I know people that have the dentures as soon as their teeth are pulled and have no trouble, but then on the other hand I know people that have had all kinds of trouble. As a whole I think dentists like to have the patient wait about 6 weeks after the last extraction. That allows for the gums to do a fair amount of swelling.

I got my dentures late 1983 and haven't had any problem with them I waited a minimum of 6 weeks before getting them. I don't like the way they feel, because the only teeth I had were all broken off at gum level or just roots. The only way I know how to explain how they feel is that it feels like I have a huge wad of bubble gum in my mouth.

They aren't loose and they don't cause me any pain or anything. I wear them when I am out in public. I can eat popcorn, steak, etc. without them. I can't eat raw veggies, but if I peel and slice an apple I can eat that. Most people that I know that have dentures have trouble with raw veggies.

The man I divorced a few months before wouldn't let me use money for dental care, so when I got my share from selling the house dental care was the first thing I got. I knew I would need decent teeth in order to get a job. Some people also have trouble with small pieces of bone working through their gums for several years. Dentures aren't everything they are cracked up to be but are sometimes necessary. You are bound to have some pain for awhile. Good luck!

Some people wait 6 months to get dentures after pulling all their teeth so the gums will be shrunk & well. They don't have as much trouble. You can get powdered alum from drug store,make a mouth wash with it. Mix teaspoon in a cup of water, wash out mouth with it several times a day. It heals almost every thing. I keep it all the time, good luck.

I have been one of the lucky ones I guess. I got my uppers about 5 years ago. They pulled all the top teeth at once and I was not put under. I don't think I would do it that way again but was trying to save a few bucks. But they fitted me for some temporary dentures right away and then after several weeks, I used the regular dentures. I think I had a good dentist for one thing. But as a reader suggested, if you can hang onto your old teeth. Do it. They are never as good as the real thing. I can eat almost anything except sticky candy or gum. I can even eat an apple without peeling or slicing too. I dropped mine a few days ago and now they have a hairline crack. Have to call dentist today to see if they can be fixed.

My mother-in-law had all her teeth pulled the same day and got some temporary denture, then later she got permanent dentures. You are going to have mouth soreness. Warm salt water rinse will help your gum heal faster. You could also just leave the dentures out for a while. You will have the pain even with the pain pill, but it WILL stop. But it will get better you will just have to wait it out. But the denture wearing you will have to adjust to also, you might need to make a trip back to the dentist for readjustment A couple of times.

First of all, I hope it is a quality lab that is making your teeth! I had 7 upper teeth pulled in Feb 2002 and they put my "temporary" in immediately before I even woke up. My gums formed to the denture. They had me leave them in for the first few days and they only take them out at night. It hurt like hell at first but gun numbing creams helped. Once they were in or out they were fine. 2 weeks later, all was well and 8 years later I am still wearing the "temporary" and they look great! it Will get better! Good luck!

You may have a temporary plate while the permanent one is being made. Off hand I don't remember the name of it, but there is a mouth wash you can buy over the counter to help heal mouth wounds. Your dentist or oral surgeon may even provide it.

I had to have all my teeth pulled, all 18 of them; they were all bad. My dentist told me to wait three weeks to get my dentures for the swelling to go down. He said that they would give me more trouble if they made them right then. He said that they would fit better if I wait. I've been reading a lot of articles were people have been getting them right away. So what is better to wait or get them the same time the teeth are removed. Please help. I go back the 24of this month to get them. I am scared to death.

By Lori

Answers

I think it's better to wait. I've done it both ways and I think it's easier to know what pain is the pressure points that need adjustment or if it's the pain of the toothloss. Anyway don't be afraid, it'll be great.

I just got my dentures. It was a 4 month process, but I'm happy! I am happy my dentist waited until I was healed and happy for a new smile.

Is there suppose to be a small gap between the back of the upper denture and the roof of your mouth? I seem to have one and it's hard to eat or drink because food and liquids slip into that gap and I choke sometimes.

By Paula

I just had 14 teeth extracted on Thursday and they put my permanent dentures in before they woke me up. How often should I be removing them? I'm worried about leaving them out or in too long, worried about swelling, etc. Also the teeth are not straight. The top teeth are leaning slightly to the left, and the bottom are really leaning the opposite way. It's very obvious. The oral surgeon said the fit is great, but the bite is way off. I'm hoping this can be fixed. Does anyone know?

I'm having heart surgery June 20 which is why I did my teeth first. I'll be on blood thinners forever after. Also, the lab made the mistake of leaving the invoice in the box with my dentures. They charged my dentist $264. My dentist charged me $1172. I am hoping this amount includes the next set of teeth that are 10 months down the road. I think that markup is insane. Well, anyone with any experience with this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

By Sandy from Pittsburgh

I had all of my upper teeth pulled and I put my dentures in right away. My question is how long should I leave them in? I have heard to leave them in two weeks or a week before taking them out because of swelling. When can I take them out?

By Joyce

Answers

Your dentist should have told you, but I left mine in a week and had no problem. I would google it?

It's been several years, but I'm sure I had to leave them in 24-48 hours, then I could rinse them! Be sure & call your dentist. There are special instructions for taking care of your gums! Do NOT swish anything around in your mouth! That's important, but please call your dentist!

My dentist told me to take mine out to clean and put them right back in. His words were,"Your teeth live in your mouth, not in a cup by the bed." I've had mine for about 25 years. I don't use any of the glue stuff. He said not to or they would never fit right. It was several years before I could leave them out for overnight without my mouth swelling and them not fitting right for several hours after I put them back in. They will be uncomfortable for quite awhile but if you had bad teeth for very long, keep in mind, it will get better! Smile!

Why do I keep biting my bottom lip with my new dentures?

I recently had my teeth removed and temporary dentures put in immediately after. I was not really given info after being sent home only to come in if I have sore spots. And now the dentist is on vacation. I'm curious if I have to take them out at night? It hasn't been a week yet. I do take them out 2-3 times a day to do a salt rinse and to clean. I'm nervous having them out while my mouth is healing.

By VJ from KS

I've just got my top dentures put in, 6 weeks after the extractions. They are feeling better as days go on, but I have already got sore spots. They seem to grip a bit on my upper inside lip. It pinches where there is a stringy bit of skin above the front teeth.

By Kristy C.

I got my teeth pulled both upper and lower over 3 months ago and have had my new dentures for 1 week. The bottoms seem to be OK, but I am having trouble with the uppers. Small areas are sore so I am trying Orajel. My real problem is my plate in the roof of my mouth seems really thick. My speech is really impaired. Much more than my friend said her speech was when she got her dentures. Can it be thinned out?

By Dana

I had all my teeth pulled 5 weeks ago. Is it too soon for an impressions to be made for conventional dentures?

By Joan J.

I recently had extractions and rinsed with salt water. Now I see white deposits on my new denture. Is salt damaging to my denture. How can I fix this?

Ellen

I had 6 extractions yesterday and temporary dentures put in straight away. The dentures fit one side pretty well, but don't fit probably the other side. Is this because the gums are so open after the extractions?

By Michelle