New Upper Dentures Impair Speech

I got my teeth pulled both upper and lower over 3 months ago and have had my new dentures for 1 week. The bottoms seem to be OK, but I am having trouble with the uppers. Small areas are sore so I am trying Orajel. My real problem is my plate in the roof of my mouth seems really thick. My speech is really impaired. Much more than my friend said her speech was when she got her dentures. Can it be thinned out?

By Dana

This is not a "do it yourself" item. Go back to your denturist and explain your problem. My mother's denturist does this sort of adjustment free of charge, as it is expected to have to do adjustments as your gums shrink over time. If you have to pay for this service, it is still worth it.