Getting Used To Wearing Dentures

Getting used to wearing dentures takes time. This is a guide about getting used to wearing dentures.

Any tips to help learn to eat with dentures and talk with them?

Tina from Florida

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry you have to go through this. You can do it, you will come out the other side a success. Practice the sounds 55, 33 and 66. Keep going back to your dentist for adjustments, ten times if necessary. You need to be able to wrap your lips around them without ever getting a sore.

I am a dental hygienist and was a longtime assistant to a doc who made dentures. Twice we failed, and one was someone who could not stop gagging. He went for hypnosis and had to face an unpleasant suppressed memory to get it stopped. The other was someone whose jaw did not hold the plate, so it fell off when he opened his mouth. Implants helped him. If worst comes to worst, you can get the denture anchored with implants, and they make mini ones that are far cheaper. My patients who have implants say that they are awesome, they really rave about how great they feel and chew. Implants are not for smokers because they don't anchor well. God bless you. Dentures are famous for making strong men cry.

Best Answer

I worked in Dental field for over 17 years. The best

advice I would give our patients is to sit and read
a book or newspaper out loud. If you find that they
are not comfy then let the dentist know sometimes a minor
adjustment will help.Good luck.

When biting down on food from the front of the dentures is it common that the back of the dentures come loose?

By Doug B.

Answers

Best Answer

As your gums heal (from the extractions) you'll experience more of this sort of thing - healing gums 'shrink' as the swelling goes down and the shrinking goes on for up to a year. You'll have been scheduled for appointments over the first year to make adjustments as needed (owing to the shrinking) so be sure to tell your dentist your plate is loose at the back when you bite down. He/she can make adjustments to improve the fit and if you're healing very quickly, you may be completely re-fitted before the year is over.

I've been wearing an upper partial plate for a few years now and still need to use an adhesive even after two complete refits as my sinus' and allergy problems cause my gums to swell and shrink intermittently - getting a tight fit is nearly impossible without the adhesive.

A quick fix until your next appointment is to use a denture adhesive. There are three types of denture adhesives on the supermarket and drugstore shelves: powder, gel or paste, and strips. I use a powder fix because it's so strong and easy to remove at the end of the day but you may find one of the other types work better for you.

Look for a zinc-free product unless you know for sure zinc doesn't bother you - I learned this the hard way and believe me the headache (if you're zinc sensitive) is horrific!

I just got my dentures yesterday. I have both upper and lower dentures. Would it be okay to get use to them one at a time? Like lowers first than uppers? Especially when eating. I tried a banana first. It was not pretty.

By Celina C

Answers

Best Answer

Try mashing bananas and other foods like cooked potatos and carrots, etc or blend meats like chops or steaks. If this is your first set and put in immediately after extractions, your mouth will be very sore. If this is another set of dentures, try wearing them daylight hours and remove at night to give gums a rest and prevent soreness.

I have had dentures for several years. They fit fine, but I still can't stand them touching the roof of my mouth. Is there anything I can do? I have high anxiety and want to take them out and throw them away.

Answers

My brother used a small grinder and grinded the middle out

is is possible to grind the top denture and still have a grip. i feel that the roof of my mouth is on 'fire' after a short while?