Can't Close Lips Completely With New Dentures

I got immediate dentures (top and bottom) Friday after having 19 teeth extracted. It is now Wednesday and I still can't close my lips properly. When should I be able to? I went yesterday for adjustments for sore spots and was told I am healing well and my bite is fine. I am just really embarrassed that I can't close my lips and if I force them closed I look like I have a huge wad of chew in my bottom lip and my top looks the same!

By April

Best Answer

The permanent ones you will receive later should fit perfectly, but the ones you wear right now are just temporary ones.

Oh that's helpful... not at all. She knows THIS maybe try helping with the problem shes having NOW?

Best Answer

Tell your dentist they need to shave the top part of the gums down there's too much up there that you can't close your mouth.

I had 14 teeth pulled and 6 implants that was 18 days ago. Been back to Aspen Dental 3 times for sanding or whatever they do. My last visit I was told to keep them in for 7 days and use fixadent. And brush the dentures with dawn dish soap. Well even with the adhesive they used I was talking with a friend and damn things all but fell out. The surgeon last Friday said not to wear them for months

So far I have paid 26 000 dollars and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? PLEASE

I don't know anything about dentures, but I suspect that yours are not fitting properly. Perhaps you need to consult another dentist, or push your own dentist for an explanation of this poor fit.

Mine are doing that also. They close perfectly together outside my mouth. Once they are each put in place where they fit my jaws they wont line up with each other. This provides a quarter inch extended overbite. My mouth is permanently propped open. They insist that since some of the back teeth touch they are fine. Meanwhile to actually chew anything I have to jut my lower jaw out until it hurts and snaps with every up and down motion. And on top of that because they are so large compared to my mouth... I cant fit anything in between my bite thicker than a flat tortilla. They are completely useless for eating and Im less capable of proper pronunciation with them in than toothless. Working in customer service where people need to be able to understand me means Im screwed. Ins will not cover a second pair and the office Im at said even in 6 months all they will do is a hard reline... which still wont necessarily fix the issue with the way the teeth sit to line up versus where they need to be for my jaws to line up properly. If I want a new set I can pay out of pocket, they provide no guarantee regarding functionality.

Side note. The teeth are lopsided too. So it looks like my bottom jaw was broken and my teeth go from largest on the left to smallest on the right. Where in the back on the right they are so far down into the gums that there is no tooth protruding while there is 1/4 to 1/3 inch of tooth above the gum line on the lower left. I had several factors that played into my opting for immediates when given the option. 1) work. 2) pregnancy being complicated by dental infections and inability to eat properly combined. 3) Time until nutrition could be improved. It was supposed to be 2-3 months for immediates to make an improvement, while conventional was said to be 6 to 10 months. This started in January. They just got them to me the end of May. My daughter is due in 12 days. I still cannot eat properly. Shes being monitored two to three times a week for being too small. So to afford decent teeth I need a second job once past the complicated pregnancy. However I can barely do my current satisfactorily because of the lack of teeth in communication so how do I get a second this way?????

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I don't have any helpful answer for you, however, I just wanted to say that my step mother got the same kind of dentures you did about a year ago. It sounds like she has the same kind. She paid out of pocket $8,000.00 for these dentures and is still unable to wear them for a long period of time. She will put them in for dealing with public, or family get togethers, but she can't wear them very long.

She got hers done at Aspen Dental, and she already had her extractions done a year ot 2 before and had regular dentures, but she wanted to upgrade to the kind that lock in. Unfortunately, she has invested ALOT of money into something she cannot wear and Aspen has yet to get them right for her!

I think if I were either of you, I would be returning the dentures back to the dentist's and be requesting a refund. That makes no sense to spend that kind of money on something that ALOT of people never get right!

Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 19, 2014
🎃