Gap Between Upper Denture and Roof of Mouth

I just got my dentures. It was a 4 month process, but I'm happy! I am happy my dentist waited until I was healed and happy for a new smile.

Is there suppose to be a small gap between the back of the upper denture and the roof of your mouth? I seem to have one and it's hard to eat or drink because food and liquids slip into that gap and I choke sometimes.

By Paula Foster

No - there is NOT supposed to be a gap, not anywhere on your plate no matter upper or lower. Contact your dentist ASAP. Until you can get in and have the plate adjusted, use a denture plate adhesive to 'seal' the gap so you can safely have something to eat.

What's happened is that when your impression was taken your palate ('roof' of mouth) was swollen. The dental lab used that impression to create the upper plate and it's clearly wrong. (Alternatively, the lab simply made a huge error - it happens but not often; I do think the problem is your impression was taken when your palate was swollen - that's what happened to me!)

Just had oral surgery today and upper partial put in place. It fits tightly, Dr. commented "nice!" ...However, there is a gap between the partial and my palate. I called my DMD and will see the Emergency Dentist Thursday for it to be checked. I can't believe this is how it's supposed to fit... plus the plastic part that sits behind my front teeth is LONG and pressure up against the back of my front teeth, which I don't like either.

Gawww!!! Should've gone 100% extraction and dentures at this rate. It's been 5 yrs in the making and having to wait due to the dental office's lack of availability to schedule and due to numerous abcess issues as well. I'm sooo done with this ... UNCOMFORTABLE!

If i have a gap between my teeth and i decide to get my teeth pulled and get dentures can i get my dentures made without a gap

No, there should not be a gap. As well, the denturist told my mother that the bones and gums would shrink for at least year after the first extraction of teeth, so a reputable one will be expecting to make adjustments and should have discussed this with you.

Go back and get this fixed, and also discuss with him/her whether it is likely that you will require additional adjustments over the next few months.

They were falling out from the get go. I have to use a lot of adhesive in order to get them to stay. My bottom plate also is very loose and I'm not sure if I can use adhesive on those or not. I barely wear them because of this.

Anonymous

I got upper partials put in today and I have noticed a gap as well