Wearing New Dentures

I recently had my teeth removed and temporary dentures put in immediately after. I was not really given info after being sent home only to come in if I have sore spots. And now the dentist is on vacation. I'm curious if I have to take them out at night? It hasn't been a week yet. I do take them out 2-3 times a day to do a salt rinse and to clean. I'm nervous having them out while my mouth is healing.

By VJ from KS

Did you not get a paper of instructions? Is there no one in your dentists office at all that can give you help? Often the assistants, or even the receptionists know the usual protocol. My mother got dentures last summer, and it seems to me that she kept them in at night. If you were not told "take them out", then I think you can assume that you should leave them in. Cleaning them and rinsing with salt water is very important. Be sure to go back if you have any difficulties, as there is no need to be uncomfortable. Lots can be done to make your mouth comfortable.

I had my upper teeth pulled and dentures put in immediately. I was told to never take them out. I didn't take mine out for two weeks and didn't have any trouble. I would rinse them with the salt water as you have been doing but do sleep in them at night since your gums will swell at night and influence the shape of your gums and the fit of your dentures.

I do agree though, if you can get in touch with any of the office staff they are usually well versed in the routine instructions the dentist usually gives. Good luck!